Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Thatcher's successes?
  • ton

this is a serious question, so if you could, serious answers please.

sat listening to radio 2, some woman has just been on talking of Thatcher’s successes.
    can someone please point any of these out to me.

mossimus
    Free Member

The Falklands?

thomthumb
    Free Member

mr whippy.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Maintaining the status quo between the “haves” and “have nots”

IHN

Broke the stranglehold of the unions that was bringing the country to it’s knees in the late ’70s which encouraged much greater amounts of foreign investment (Toyota/Honda/Nissan as an example)

Sancho
    Free Member

She broke the union stranglehold on the labour market and british industry.
    Revitalised the country, that was a complete shit hole.
    and smashed the Argies in the Falklands

khani
    Free Member

She was more successful at destroying British industry than the Luftwaffe..

IHN

mr whippy

Oh yeah, and that.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…try the search function. This one has been done to death recently.

Sancho
    Free Member

funny how british industry thought she was great.
    so not sure I follow that one.

opened up the city, right to buy council homes, changed the way Britain was seen in the world, negotiated the EU rebate etc etc

mudshark
    Free Member

Well, Britain in the 70s was a pretty unappealing place for many really. Massive income tax and not a lot to show for it. So that changed in the 80s; how much of that was due to Thatcher, and whether the UK became a better place for her input, is something not everyone agrees on….

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Irritating the hell out of TJ and Elfin.

wwaswas

right to buy council homes

depends if you think affordable social housing is a good thing or not.

negotiated the EU rebate

although not enough to make us anythign other than a net contributer.

She did unite most of the country when the poll tax was brought in 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

poll tax that worked well

she did a lovely resigination speech iirc

Britain in the 70s was a pretty unappealing place for many really. Massive income tax and not a lot to show for it. So that changed in the 80s;

what was the unemployment rate in the 80’s and the noirth/south divide and the overall tax burden
    Ta

BoardinBob

Reducing the top income tax rate from 95%

IHN

Oh yeah, and that 🙂

Sancho
    Free Member

industrial output fell 3% in her years to 25% of the economy, so not the devastation Labour are still claiming now, the devastation came in the 90’s under Blair/Brown where industrial output fell more like 10% to just 12% of the economy.

The big winners under Labour were bankers and estate agents and public sector.
    manufacturing was just argued over and no one did anything to help it, or rather we all wanted cheap bike bits from China.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Sancho – Member
    industrial output fell 3% in her years to 25% of the economy, so not the devastation Labour are still claiming now, the devastation came in the 90’s under Blair/Brown where industrial output fell more like 10% to just 12% of the economy.

do you want to try and make less simplistic?

wwaswas

the devastation came in the 90’s under Blair/Brown where industrial output fell more like 10% to just 12% of the economy

Did industrial output actually ‘fall’ or did other industries just increase faster and thus make up more of the overall total?

mudshark
    Free Member

what was the unemployment rate in the 80s and the north/south divide and the overall tax burden

How you view that depends on how you view the omelette / broken egg ratio.

konabunny
    Free Member

Privatisation of a lot of stuff that should never have been operated by the government because the private sector was or would have done it perfectly well? e.g. Sealink, all the motor manufacturers…

The Falklands?

The re-occupation of the Falklands was a military success (in its own terms, I suppose) but the total lack of anticipation and preparedness was a huge failure, which is why Peter Carrington (showing a degree of personal integrity uncommon in politics) respected the tradition of ministerial responsibility and resigned at the time:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6546223.stm
    http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/112604

konabunny
    Free Member

Wrong. Top rate of income tax was never 95% (despite Beatles lyrics). Thatcher cut top rate from 83% to 60% in 1979.

br
    Free Member

right to buy council homes

Nope, there had always been a right to buy, just previously you had to pay the market price – what she did was gerrymandering IMO

binners

Removing any possible ambiguity about who your enemy was.

See also: Call-Me-Dave

Oh… and fuelled some cracking satirical comedy. Ie: Spitting Image

mudshark
    Free Member

Depends on how you look at it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Wilson

By 1974, the top-rate of income tax reached its highest rate since the war, 83%. This applied to incomes over £20,000 (£155,247 as of 2012),[17], and combined with a 15% surcharge on ‘un-earned’ income (investments and dividends) could add to a 98% marginal rate of personal income tax.

binners

what she did was gerrymandering IMO

Spot on! Taken to its logical conclusion by ‘Dame’ Shirley Porter

Vote for me and you can have a cheap house

mrmo
    Free Member

Thatchers greatest success has been to privatise profits and nationalise loses. Something that continues to this day. The idea of cross subsidising has gone out the window.

konabunny
    Free Member

It wasn’t gerrymandering at all – gerrymandering is redrawing political district lines for partisan gain.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Encouraging the right to buy was a good thing – if you wanted proof just visit any estate where a good percentage of people had bought versus an estate where they hadn’t.

one would be nice and tidy and the other a sh1thole.

(everyone I saw, anyway…)

wrecker
    Free Member

She personally ordered the hereford hooligans to have some fun at princes gate. Good job they didnt **** it up.

binners

It wasn’t gerrymandering at all – gerrymandering is redrawing political district lines for partisan gain.

Silly old district auditors getting that one wrong then:

Definitely not gerrymandering then?

Though I suppose for the actual dictionary definition of gerrymandering, you’d have to look instead at what Call Me Dave is up to now. That sticks to the more traditional trick of actually changing borders to your advantages

Tories eh? Got to love ’em.

MSP

Encouraging the right to buy was a good thing – if you wanted proof just visit any estate where a good percentage of people had bought versus an estate where they hadn’t.

one would be nice and tidy and the other a sh1thole.

The 70’s wasn”t that bad a time, life got worse in the 80’s, most council estates were working class before the 80’s, she created the underclass that dragged them down to a new low.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but me and TJ irritate the hell out of people like you, so you’ve autopwned there. 😆

We’re as successful as Thatcher! Woot! 😀

What like mine, where there are loads of privately owned flats which are mostly inhabited by people who need to claim housing benefit as the private rents are over twice what the HA rents are, thus costing the taxpayer more than if they were all still social housing?

I’m struggling to see much she did that was actually beneficial to Society.

But then, she din’t believe in Society, did she? 😐

hora
    Free Member

As above. In addition, in a mans world a woman dared to stand up and boy did she do so.

My favourite NuLabour success was having the balls to face down their traditional voters/habits and ban smoking in pubs. That took serious balls IMO (no not Ed, although he may be serious 😉 )

mudshark
    Free Member

din’t believe in Society

Well in the famous quote she wanted people to take responsibility for themselves rather than rely on society. Perhaps she could have said it better.

binners

Yeah, it was a proper clause 4 moment, that one Hora 🙄

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Well in the famous quote she wanted people to take responsibility for themselves rather than rely on society. Perhaps she could have said it better.

I think that sums it up pretty well – and what is wrong with that sentiment?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

and what is wrong with that sentiment?

= I’m alright jack **** everyone else.

Essentially.

Oh look; it’s happened…

hora
    Free Member

I once dreamt I slept with Thatcher. I woke up neither happy or sad, just where the **** did that come from 😐

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

= I’m alright jack **** everyone else

what complete bs.

I don’t mind paying taxes to support people that fall on hard times as long as they then put a bit of effort into trying to get back from those hard times.

my mother worked at a school for maladjusted girls. As soon as it came time to leave the school they nearly all became magically pregnant in order to get benefits and housing. I do mind paying taxes to support this type of reliance on society.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Thatcher's successes?’ is closed to new replies.