Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 329 total)
  • thatcher
  • emac65
    Free Member

Couldn’t stand the bitch when she was in power, but wouldn’t wish her dead……
    <Goes off to dig out Anti-Pasti’s “No Government”>

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

She created a generation that became the parents of the chavs – as deliberate policy

Jesus H Christ
    What a load of utter bilge
    You’ve surpassed even the bull you spout about helmets now, which I previously thought was impossible

emac65
    Free Member

She created a generation that became the parents of the chavs – as deliberate policy

Are you saying my 3 kids are chavs ? That’s complete BS & if you were in hitting distance I’d give you a good shoeing ! !

& For your information only the eldest is a chav the other two are fine 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Petterpoddy. The long term unemployed of the eighties are the parents of the folk who are called chavs. This underclass did not exist in the way that it does now in the 70s and 60s.

The combination of this generation of long term unemployed given no hope of a job along with the “no such thing as society” and the fact that according to Thatcher your value was in your possessions has created an underclass that we now call “chavs”. This is undeniable.

As for it being deliberate policy : Remember “if its not hurting its not working” ?

aracer
    Free Member

“no such thing as society”

If that’s what you’re basing your argument on, then maybe you should go and check the context, rather than quoting it out of it as the lefties all like doing so much.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

…………….with the “no such thing as society”….

Don’t quote it in context Teej, it might not suit your slightly biased opinion otherwise.

“I think we’ve been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it’s the government’s job to cope with it. ‘I have a problem, I’ll get a grant.’ ‘I’m homeless, the government must house me.’ They’re casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It’s our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There’s no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation.”

tankslapper
    Free Member

Peter Poddy Lives!!! Hi Pete – where you been? 😉

What’s worse than Thatcher?

djglover
    Free Member

We could have done with here now to crush bob crow

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The argument is obviously a lot more complex than can be posted in a short post on here. I do know the context of that quote but there is also a wider context as well. You will find few sociologists that do not consider that the Thatcher years had a big part to play in the rise of the underclass we know as “chavs”. A different argument is that it was a price worth paying.

Have a google for it – you will find all sorts of scholarly debate on this. There is just no doubt that the rise of the underclass was during th Thatcher years

mudshark
    Free Member

>Saved the country
    LOL! Funniest thing I’ve heard in ages!

Would anyone like to suggest what would the UK have been like in the 80s if we hadn’t had Thatcher?

trailmonkey

People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There’s no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation.”

That’s the evil twisted harpy encapsulated. How could the unemployed meet the obligations when her govt. policy was to deny them the chance to.

You’ve got to be pretty special to fail to see the hypocrisy in anything she said.

G
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Jesus H Christ
    What a load of utter bilge
    You’ve surpassed even the bull you spout about helmets now, which I previously thought was impossible

Sorry can’t accept that PP. She was in charge and one of the traits that Thatcherites like, (well apart from dressing as schoolboys and being spanked), was the fact that she had absolute control over everything. So that being the case if you accept they were of her time, then it had to be deliberate policy on her part by that token.

So the question is were Chavs a result of Thatcherite policies and years, well as TJ states their parents and their attitudes are the result of her
    time in Government of that there is no doubt, so if you subscribe to the theory of “blame the parents”, which I suspect you do, you have to concede TJ’s point frankly……

Mind you I’m with you on helmet bilge

mudshark
    Free Member

She created a generation that became the parents of the chavs

’tis funny really as I’ve heard many suggesting that the problem people we had in the 80s were a result of their parents being part of the hippy culture of the 60s – maybe chavs are like the 2nd generation of that? Possibly….

tankslapper
    Free Member

….and I heard that the ones from the ’60’s where as a result of the sense of freedom following the war…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nah – they were that progressive childcare chap – the frankly unbelievable Dr Spock

Bunnyhop

Thatcher – Made me get off my backside and work my socks off. She gave me the opportunity to buy my first home. All this at a young age age.

I met her once, yes she was a grump and not very friendly.

Oh and all the people I know who voted for her in the 80’s certainly don’t have chavs for children. They have all turned out as unselfish, caring hard working menbers of society.

As for saying that they wished a frail old lady to have broken her neck, is disgusting.

Stoner
    Free Member

I blame the Victorians!

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I blame the Romans, I mean, what did the Romans ever do for us?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oh and all the people I know who voted for her in the 80’s certainly don’t have chavs for children.

Its the people who were left behind and marginalised who have chavs for children

aracer
    Free Member

I do know the context of that quote

So quoting it out of context was just being disingenuous then.

Bunnyhop

Lol @ Stoner and sootyandjim.

biggulp
    Free Member

Would anyone like to suggest what would the UK have been like in the 80s if we hadn’t had Thatcher?

Good question, most people seem to have forgotten what it was like just before Thatcher with the unions runing the country, 3 day week, power cuts during the winter, only being able to go to school 3 days a week, OK that was a +.

G
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – Member
    Thatcher – Made me get off my backside and work my socks off. She gave me the opportunity to buy my first home. All this at a young age age.

As I recall it I had two opportunities to regret the opportunity to buy my first home under Mrs T, once early 80′ when interest rates hit 15%, and once at the end of the 80’s when, yes, you guessed it interest rates again hit 15%, whilst at the same time many of my hardworking and highly SELF-motivated mates actually lost their homes and some are still paying for it.

I met her once, yes she was a grump and not very friendly.

Nuff said

Oh and all the people I know who voted for her in the 80’s certainly don’t have chavs for children. They have all turned out as unselfish, caring hard working menbers of society.

Missing the point here a tad, she was most careful to make sure that the people who voted for her didn’t end up with Chavs for children, its just everyone else in the 60 % of the population that didn’t vote for her that she shat all over.

As for saying that they wished a frail old lady to have broken her neck, is disgusting.

Not if shes completely ruined someone close to you or your own life it isn’t, frankly its quite mild.

Bunnyhop

G – A bit like now then, people losing their homes all over the country, having no jobs to pay the mortgage.

Whatever terrible thing happened to you, surely it doesn’t justify wanting an old lady to break her neck.

G
    Free Member

biggulp – Member

Good question, most people seem to have forgotten what it was like just before Thatcher with the unions runing the country, 3 day week, power cuts during the winter, only being able to go to school 3 days a week, OK that was a bonus

Tories mismanage workforce shocker!

Get it right!! FFS, this is at the seat of the issues between Thatcher and Ted Heath. It was the Tory attitude towards inflation and the economy that caused the 3 day week and union unrest, not the other way around. Not only that it was under a Tory government, not Labour.

Bunnyhop

Yes interests rates were really high, but proerties were affordable, unlike now.

G
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – Member
    G – A bit like now then, people losing their homes all over the country, having no jobs to pay the mortgage.

Whatever terrible thing happened to you, surely it doesn’t justify wanting an old lady to break her neck.

More selective memory? No they bloody well aren’t no comaprision whatsoever, Interest rates are at an all time low, and the government have bent over backwards to a) Shorten the recession and b) ensure that as few people as possible lose their homes, that in an environment where people have been encouraged by historical Tory policies to over extend their credit ridiculously. Generally the way that is perceived on here is that GB has sold the family jewels, and that he should have closed the Pandoras box opened by Thatcher and Reagan. Well in my book, selling off and/or killing off our industrial base out of spite for the unions is selling off the jewels. Using the countries assets to the benefit of the poepulation isn’t. Taking a caring and sensible view as to how to minimise the impact of recession on the nation to me is OK.

Standing firm when the going gets tough is a sign of leadership, not weakness.

Sandwich

Quoting the “Society Piece” in full it reads worse as it does not acknowledge the enlightened self-interest inherrent in a working society. As a society we have an obligation to care for the less fortunate amongst us to ensure society keeps working.
    She was the epitome of the well-off, sod you lot I’m all right brigade. I can’t be sure but I’m sure she never suffered real hardship in her early years and it shows.
    Her style was that the country had an obligation to look after those who were well off and nothing more. We don’t need dog eat dog society here thank you, that’s available in America and it’s not a good advert.

G
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – Member
    Yes interests rates were really high, but proerties were affordable, unlike now.

Pop off to Waterstones and buy economics for dummies. About page two you will find that if there is an increased demand prices will rise. There are three things Thatcher did that increased demand.

1) She did her best to kill off what is now called social housing, leaving more people with little option other than to buy.
    2) She destabilised the family unit, resulting in very large numbers of single parent families, as a result two homes required instead of one.
    3) She increased the money supply, this increased demand, increased demand for a finite resource, (in this case land) = prices go up.

Get your facts sorted out man.

El-bent
    Free Member

Good question, most people seem to have forgotten what it was like just before Thatcher with the unions runing the country, 3 day week, power cuts during the winter, only being able to go to school 3 days a week, OK that was a

Yeah she handed it over the economists, who have ruined the country.

hora
    Free Member

I’ll be honest- my heart sank when I opened this thread. First woman Prime Minister- a beacon to other women. Lets not forget in the same century women only just got the right to vote.

No matter what your personal opinions are on her or her dedication to break the Unions (after a long bitter recession) you must admit to admire the woman at the very least. Even an enemy can respect their foe.

I wish her all the best and her family- same goes for Gordon Brown and Blair etc.

hora
    Free Member

Just add, shes more man than we will ever be and will be remembered long after we are dead and buried.

G
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Just add, shes more man than we will ever be and will be remembered long after we are dead and buried

I really hope you didn’t have a stiffee when you typed that 😯

charliedontsurf

I remember not working for years, the streets covered in the homeless, some people having it all.
    She took national assets and flogged them to us… a great con.
    But then where will we be this time next year?

I reckon this is not a democracy, one tick in a box every 4 years does not give anyone the right to start illegal wars and bomb children (whilst making money on the arms sales). This system is just show, where the rich stay rich, and we think we have a voice (but dont dare to use it, or be walking home near a protest eh!)… anyone rember this:

Number 1
    You have the right not to be killed
    Murder is a crime!
    Unless it was done by a
    Policeman or aristocrat
    Know your rights

And number 2
    You have the right to food money
    Providing of course you
    Dont mind a little
    Investigation, humiliation
    And if you cross your fingers
    Rehabilitation

Number 3
    You have the right to free
    Speech as long as youre not
    Dumb enough to actually try it.

Know your rights
    These are your rights
    All three of em
    It has been suggested
    In some quarters that this is not enough!
    Well…………………………

Get off the streets
    Get off the streets

scraprider
    Free Member

get well soon maggie,bless your cotton socks.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

I decided not to buy a frame off mike at dialled bikes because of something he said in the discussions regarding the G20 protesters, and now I reckon I’ll find something to buy off charlie the bikemonger. Do any other retailers have a position on this subject to help in future purchasing decisions?

hora
    Free Member

I really hope you didn’t have a stiffee when you typed that

RudeBoy
    Free Member

You will find few sociologists that do not consider that the Thatcher years had a big part to play in the rise of the underclass we know as “chavs”.

I’m a Sociologist, and I agree with TJ!

you must admit to admire the woman at the very least

Sweet Jesus and Mary Chain… 😯

Do any of you Thatcherites really think she had all British people’s best inertests at heart, or simply wanted to create an easy to control society, where people would fear and loath their neighbours, and where mistrust and paranoia would facilitate the ‘Divide and Rule’ elitist ideology that has sadly become so inherent in our Nation?

The recent outcry against the Tube workers’ strike showed perfectly just how many people no longer care about ‘society’, but just themselves. Whilst people may enjoy more material possessions, there is no longer much solidarity between people, and the idea of ‘community’ is little more than a catchy slogan at the odd summer fete, or token effort to make people believe there is still such a thing remaining.

The onions and attitudes of many people on here serve to highlight the very success of Thatcherite policies; many STWers are little more than curtain-twitching ‘Middle Englanders’, believing that it is they who matter more than anyone else in society. Yes, Thatcherism has succeeded.

You selfish bastards. You sit there, moaning about the fall in value of your house, or that you can’t quite afford a new car, and blame everyone else for your own lack of fulfillment or achievement. Ask yourselves; what have you done to try and make better, the society you live in?

Oh, sorry of course; there’s no such thing, is there?

It’s ok though; just give a few quid a week to charidee, and may all your sins be absolved.

I’m off to polish my dancing shoes…

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Are you being cremated or buried RB?

duntmatter
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – Member

Yes interests rates were really high, but properties were affordable, unlike now.

The current abnormal and artificial inflation of the value of property vis-a-vis other assets/means of investment, and the created desire for that property necessary to maintain the constant ‘dog chasing its own tail’ housing market: both these things result from policies introduced by Fatch.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 329 total)

The topic ‘thatcher’ is closed to new replies.