• This topic has 35 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by taka.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Buying a Commencal, just not sure which one?
  • ruminant
    Free Member

Hi

Really undecided at the moment whether to go for a meta 5.2 or a super 4.2.

Has anybody got a super and will it take a decent peaks ride?

cheers

SigmaF
    Free Member

Go for the Meta 5 and get a rear maxle for it!!

Spec it quite light and it’s the only bike you’ll ever need!!

The Super 4 will easily take a decent peaks ride…..but, the Meta can take be used like a Mini-DH bike should you want to!!

ruminant
    Free Member

Ah

Great about the super4

currently got a 140mm prophet and don’t do half the rough stuff the bike wants to do, so dropping the travel and weight sounds like the best plan

cheers for that

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

selling the prophet? what size?

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Just letting you know that merlin has got a sale on commencal for easter.

ruminant
    Free Member

Hi Spoon

Its a large, got a guy interested at the moment but will keep you in mind if he doesn’t want it

cheers

wysiwyg
    Free Member

What size 5.5.2 are you after?

Guilliano
    Free Member

The Super 4 is quite a slack 4″ bike so is fun on the downs too, but is going to be better on the climbs than the Meta. If you are not using the Prophet’s travel then the Super 4 is going to suit you down to the ground.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

like the look of the super 4, wondering if it would take some 130mm forks? (have some rev’s 130 – 100 u-turn forks waiting)

anyone?

pantsonfire
    Free Member

The Commencal site says you are warrantied to run a front fork at 490mm axle to crown

captain_bastard
    Free Member

hmmm the rev’s by my tape measure work out at 520+ so i guess on the button when at 100mmm – just what would happen at 130mm? Really enjoy the clims so drawn to the super 4 and really crap on the down – so need all the help i can!

bland

Get the one with the free bearing puller as you will be needing it every 6 months of peaks riding!

ruminant
    Free Member

Bland are you saying it eats bearings or just a comment on peak riding in general?

sv

Speak to Steve @ Real Cycles the best Commie dealer in the UK for the last three years.
    Nice bloke and knows what he is talking about, has a ex-demo sale on at the minute too.

Tel: 028 90 814 914

ruminant
    Free Member

Would do, but planning to buy from merlin (save £500+)

Think it would be bad form to pick his brains and not buy from him

cheers for the heads up though.

FOG

I have just bought a 4.2 but have only been out on it twice so far and haven’t got it set up properly yet. It certainly seems to go up well and down better than expected but it leaves me curiously underwhelmed. I am not sure whether this is the’god have I done the right thing’ feeling I get when I spend money or just suspended judgement until I can get a proper thrash.
    Anyway I have a week in Swaledale next week so I will definitely know by then!

ruminant
    Free Member

FOG

Send me a mail once you’ve had a proper thrash, would be interested

cheers

MussEd
    Free Member

He’s now doing a Price Match in order to compete with other dealers prices{Merlin} and seriously he is an authority on these biks and will give great service – see this link for detailshttp://www.commencalownersclub.com/index.php/topic,3384.0.html

So you’ll get Merlin’s price with Real Cycles support – A RIGHT BARGAIN!

james
    Free Member

“the rev’s by my tape measure work out at 520+ “

Really?! They’re meant to be 508mm @ 130mm

Did you measure to the very bottom of the fork. The arch to crown measurement is supposed to be from the axle centre to the the bottom of where the crown race sits

FOG

ruminant- certainly will but I won’t be back until 19th April {mind you the offer has been on for a while so I can’t see it disappearing overnight]

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

ruminant – Member

Thats the best post I’ve seen on here for ages, very true & very refreshing to see in this day & age.
    [doffs hat]

MussEd
    Free Member

Definately a noble sentiment, but may I point out again that Steve from Realcycles is now doing a Price Match to try and compete with Merlin. Seriously save yourslf money and get first-class service by taking him up on this offer!

ruminant
    Free Member

Thanks for the doffed hat.

But I must have been really bad in a past life as karma has proper shot me in the knackers.

Car broke down yesterday, loud knocking noise, probable timing issue. I’ll not know till next tuesday earliest how much it will cost so bike plans shelved till then 🙁

Will def speak to steve though when I get the all clear.

Cheers to everyone for the advice

The bike of choice is a super4.2

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Ruminant, I don’t suppose your in London are you? if you could get the car to me I’m sure I could get one of my guys to look at it & save you a few quid, I’m sure the technology won’t be beyond them 😉
    Email in profile (in the next ten minutes)
    Cheers.

atlaz
    Free Member

Steve is a top bloke. Has been great with my pestering about various replacement bits since I was told by Commencal to bother him rather than them about tube sizes, clamps etc.

taka
    Free Member

er… argentinien pices of crap

ruminant
    Free Member

2unfit thanks for the offer but based in derbyshire, bit far really 🙂

Taka – what you on about??

Chase
    Free Member

Max fork length mentioned for the 4, but how about the 5. I can’t see the info on the Commencal site. I have some Marz Z1 lights to use if I buy a Meta 5 frame. 150mm travel – not sure about axel to crown though.
    Can anybody advise. Thanks.

retro83
    Free Member

I have some Marz Z1 lights to use if I buy a Meta 5 frame. 150mm travel – not sure about axel to crown though.
    Can anybody advise. Thanks.

Comes standard with 140mm zocchi forks, can’t imagine 10mm is going to make all that much difference. Steve will know. Think he’s also the guy that runs Commencal Owners Club forums, if not him then someone on there will know for definite.

shinsplints

taka – Member
    er… argentinien pices of crap

LMAO.

taka
    Free Member

made in argentina and there crap 😆 had two sold one broke the other

shinsplints

Getting mixed up with Andorra Taka ??????? – no offence meant but I seem to remember you had a combi hydro which is about a £450 bike,the meta’s aren’t really in the same league as this.Just a point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andorra

atlaz
    Free Member

If I remember you had a combi disc. They’re pretty strong providing you’re not doing stuff they’re not designed for (i.e. they’re not a “hardcore hardtail”).

taka
    Free Member

i know im dense alright! im off to go rock in my corner 🙁 i had a combi disc and a maxmax bullshit there a jump bike my arse snapped rear dropouts on a funbox 😯

shinsplints

fat arse !!!! 😉

taka
    Free Member

8)

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Buying a Commencal, just not sure which one?’ is closed to new replies.