Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tell me about… helicoils
  • atlaz
    Free Member

The pedal ripped the thread out of the driveside crank arm on my road bike today. I seem to remember helicoil being an option. Is that right and if so what do I need and what do I need to know.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Helicoil will work and usually stronger than the original. Taking it to an engineers is usually cheaper than doing it yourself.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You’d need a steady hand or a pillar drill, if you have neither of these get someone to do it for you instead. Should work fine.

cyclebiker

I believe in helicoils you sexy thing… i agree with craigxxl, you have to have the correct tools to do it. you effectively have to drill out the current threaded hole then re-thread it to allow the helicoil to create the desired thread. it is a simple job but you need the kit, where are you in the country ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

helicoils are not common in unusual sizes such as a pedal thread especially as one side is a reverse thread. Still possible however

atlaz
    Free Member

cyclebiker – Surrey.

What sort of price are we talking? These are generic cranks that came on a cheap (but good) used frame I bought so I can probably replace them cheap enough

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would think around £20 for a shop to do it – the insert will be a few pounds and it won’t take long to do.

Woody
    Free Member

As they are cheap generic cranks, you’d be better off picking up a decent set second hand and swapping the rings.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Bike shop should have the helicoil kit

_tom_
    Free Member

I once bought a 2nd hand bike which turned out to have a helicoiled thread in one of the crank arms. It didn’t really last long, half of it came out with the pedal when I was changing them, and that was the end of that.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’m gonna give it a go with a pedal tap. If it doesn’t work out I’ve only lost a fiver and with have yet another unusual tool to add to the collection.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about… helicoils’ is closed to new replies.