Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • Tattoo thread. (Tazzie)
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Well let’s talk about ignorance shall we? That’s a Samoan design, NOT Maori.

OK, we’ll discuss ignorance then. These are POLYNESIAN Tattoo designs, which are NOT unique to Samoa.
    The fact that he has cultural ties to the tradition of this design of tattoo makes a mockery of your argument. He maybe of Samoan descent, but this type of design is traditional for the whole of polynesia.

hels
    Free Member

Dare you to walk up to Sonny Bill and tell him his tattoos are “hackneyed”.

Go on.

hels
    Free Member

(as an aside, as it has come up, I worked with a woman years ago who did her Doctorate in Anthropology looking at the various Polynesian tattoo forms and designs through history, placement on the body, what that all means in terms of social status etc. V interesting, and constantly changing – she had a neat and rather unfashionable theory about where the Maoris orginated based on the traditional tattoo placement, which I won’t repeat here as I want to go back to Kiwiland in summer)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s well known on STW that tattoos to Shibboleth are like racism to the KKK

wrecker
    Free Member

He the one who gets all het up about religion too?

corroded
    Free Member

which I won’t repeat here as I want to go back to Kiwiland in summer

Go on, I’m intrigued…

hels
    Free Member

Aye OK – but this is just a theory and not mine. The generally accepted view is that the Maori came to Aoteoroa around the 12th Century, nobody really knows where from, Tahiti, Hawaii have both been theorised.

There are even crazy theories that they were one of the lost 12 tribes of Israel, there are some similar burial customs, that circulated during victorian times. Lots of stuff was made up to justify the land grabs, some even say the Moriori (the inhabitants who are now extinct) didn’t really exist.

She theorised that based on the tattoo customs of the Maori and those she had evidence of in 12th century Polynesia that the Maori were a race of slaves who had been exiled for terrible crimes. I can’t remember where she said they came from, but anyway that’s the kind of talk that can get ones passport revoked.

Mind you, the Aussies seem to be proud of being descended from criminals so maybe it wouldn’t play that badly.

corroded
    Free Member

That is interesting, thanks. I wonder if other Polynesian cultures had facial tattoos – they seem uniquely Maori.

CheesybeanZ

Ton, have a look on here 😀
    http://www.facebook.com/TheTattooPage?ref=stream

kimbers

i like otzis tattoos, i think brad pitt has the same ones too?

although they were apparently accupuncture points

wwaswas

Some of the ones on that Facebook page I like but this one?

gosh;

rogg
    Free Member

Why are people who don’t have and don’t like tattoos so desperate to tell people who do have and do like tattoos how much they hate them? And what do they seriously expect to gain as a result of imparting their opinion?
    I’m genuinely baffled.

atlaz
    Free Member

Why are people who don’t have and don’t like tattoos so desperate to tell people who do have and do like tattoos how much they hate them? And what do they seriously expect to gain as a result of imparting their opinion?
    I’m genuinely baffled.

Works both ways. I’ve been told by quite a few people how empowering tattoos are and how awesome it is and how not having them makes you boring. Some people can bore for Britain (or whatever country) no matter which side of an argument they come down on.

To my mind, do what you want with your body.

CheesybeanZ

Why are people who don’t have and don’t like tattoos-orange 5-dogs-or pretty much anything really so desperate to tell people who do have and do like tattoos how much they hate them? And what do they seriously expect to gain as a result of imparting their opinion?
    I’m genuinely baffled.

its the STW way.

davidjones15
    Free Member

its the STWhibboleth way.

He’s special.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Q – But what happens when you get old?

Answer – I’ll still be badasss

tazzymtb

hi Ton, seeing as there are so many tattoo haterz on here I’m not putting my big fat man bits and tattoo up 😀 xx

tazzymtb

That and the fact that once you’ve met him you spend the rest of your life trying to forget him!!!!!

*is hurt and saddened* and I thought you loved and respected me. I wouldn’t have let just any boy touch me there you know!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Love you really Tazzie and your big fat tattoo’d man bits……..

ads678

[/quote]That is interesting, thanks. I wonder if other Polynesian cultures had facial tattoos – they seem uniquely Maori.

From the books i’ve read all Polynesian tattoos started as mainly facial ones, and they didn’t used be inked just scarred. Nowadays though, prolly a social thing, they tend to tattoo other body parts mainly arms and legs.

qwerty
    Free Member

Every picture tells a story…

… i’ve seem a fiilum on an electric screen that was about prison tats in the good ole USofA, interesting viewing.

tazzymtb

different areas of the body for different tribes

Meanings are complicated. In ancient times most of the symbols had meanings, but not all of those are known today. It varies from island group to island group as to how much information was recorded before the demise of the art. In some cases, like the Marquesas, meanings are pretty well known. In other cases, we know very little. The same symbol would not necessarily carry the same meaning from one island group to the next. As for an easily available source or list of meanings, no there isn’t, and if you see one, be skeptical! BEWARE OF TATTOO DICTIONARIES! Meanings are complicated enough that the interpretation may vary from one family to the next or from one valley to the next. They are NOT universal, by any means. Even within a single island group, such as Hawaii, not everybody will interpret the same symbol the same way. It’s only through reading all of the original documents (most of which are the journals of the early explorers and first visitors to the islands) can we get an inkling of what the designs might have meant in ancient times. Or in some cases, talking to elders IF the knowledge was retained over the years. Most symbols found their origins in nature– they are visual translations from our surrounding environment. Now, most of those elements also carry a deeper significance, like the Samoan canoe that is represented in the pe’a signifies the individual’s maturity and ability to carry his responsibility of his family and village. A canoe however, might have very different meanings in another island groups, or might not have been used at all!

Very little of what is seen now is traditional, the missionaries in the 1790’s worked hard to dissuade the elders from continuing the traditions . Most of what is done today is a modern interpretation of the older styles, incorporating both old symbols with modern or borrowed ones. Tahitian tattooing today, or example, is drastically different than Tahitian tattoos of ancient times. In early times, they were much like the designs seen in a Samoan woman’s malu. Today what I a call the pan-Polynesian style is by far the most popular. This is a blend of elements from a number of the island cultures recombined into modern designs which are heavily influenced by the older styles. Remember, we are modern people! Wearing modern designs is not inappropriate.

I personally wear an interpretation of a Somoan Pe’a that is still growing as I have that heritage….and it looks as cool as chuff 😀

ads678

Nice one tazzy. People who feel they need to preach, either way, should do some research first. There are good tattoos and bad tattoos but all tattoos are wanted by someone and why others should try to castigate people baffles me. Live and live for christ sake.

tazzymtb

go on then, feel free to rip the piss out of my fat bits and the fact someone has been at me with a black felt tip pen 😯

you’d better say thanks for this TON!!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Porker!!

tazzymtb

I know I had to take my training bra off and everything went south, It’s crap having moobs at my age, I’ll be able to tuck my nipple ring into my pants soon.

tazzymtb

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I prefer over the shoulder myself

tazzymtb

I thought that was one of those shirts with a built in camelback pop?

tazzymtb

all tats are personal, I know some get their pants in a twist over it, but it’s personal choice. Life is far too short and precious to waste and worry such things. just be happy in your life, whatever path you choose.

CountZero

Some amazing tats there, tazzy, and yours are pretty damn cool, too.

davidjones15 – Member
    To be completely honest, I think it looks ridiculous. The guy has a very impressive body that would look far better without some asymmetric, hackneyed clipart sprawled all over one arm!

I think tats are a great way of identifying the asshats in society.

D’you mean just the fact that someone has a tattoo, or by the quality of the ink?
    If the former, then I reserve the right to call you a judgemental asshat who should mind his own damned business, if all you can do is sneer and be objectionable.
    Of course, that’s just my opinion, in the same way that you have yours.

sambob
    Free Member

Points to anyone who can work out where this is…

Those in fell running circles may know whose back this is, and will understand the significance of it if you’ve heard of the Bob Graham Round. RIP Daz 🙁

philconsequence
    Free Member

tazzy you chubbyfunster! thats a beautiful piece 😀

giantonagiant

Moot Hall.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Did that fella have his arm taken by a dolphin at sea world?

Bregante

Aye, Keswick

nickhart
    Free Member

Great thread. Getting my first done in November, it’s taken me twenty five years to design it, just hope it goes well! Love the positive life choice views.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I reserve the right to call you a judgemental asshat who should mind his own damned business

Every tattoo thread he pops up. He’s a bigoted halfwit.

nickhart
    Free Member

Tom at tenacious
    Deryn at tenacious
    Tom is the one doing mine but the stuff deryn does is amazing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Tattoo thread. (Tazzie)’ is closed to new replies.