Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Talgarth – Brecon Beacons
  • paulwf

Every year a few of us from work go to Wales to go riding. We tend to stick to the main trail centres (Afan, Coed Y Brenin, Cwmcarn) but this year we fancied trying something different.

We have seen this link

http://www.mtbbreconbeacons.co.uk/hubs/talgarth

Has anyone ridden any of these trails and could give us some advise as to what they are like.

Also GPS routes would be good so we can have a look at them on memory map.

Cheers
    Paul

hopster
    Free Member

Here is the route. NO GPS I'm afraid. Not great quality but it will give you an idea of the area it covers. Why don't you buy the route cards? Most of the rides are pretty good.

paulwf

Thanks for the scan!

They haven't got any route cards at the moment, back in stock at the end of the month – but we want to book where we are going in the next week or so.

hopster
    Free Member

I can scan it at a higher resolution if you like? what's your email address I can do it before I go out.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Talgarth Black is great, the hike up Y Das is interesting.

Gilles

This is one of my favorite route in Wales, specially the ST near Crickhowell and the long ascent back to Talgarth.

Gilles

Actually looking at your map, they don't take you to the ST/Bridleway near Crug Mawr. I really think you should do the detour.

tracknicko
    Free Member

just to confirm, this is basically a route on existing bridleways etc. right? they havent been building there have they?

just asking as i spent half my childhood just up the road.. interested to see local developments!

Gilles

yes that's right, no purpose built trails, just briddleways. A bit refreshing.

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh sounds cool. ill stick the bike back in when i visit me grandfolks next. been a while since ive ridden over there.

once fell off the edge of hay bluff and lost all the skin on my chin as i slid down the grass feet first on my front.

bizarre crash!

mcobie
    Free Member

This is a brilliant route, although i wouldn't bother stopping at the pub in the village at the start of the return leg (sorry, can't see the name on that map or get Google maps to work to find out), the landlord is a total c*ck and very anti bikes 👿

I would actually avoid the hike up Brown Trousers (Y Das) as it doesn't bring anything useful to the table. Instead, when looking at the map, there is a bridalway to the left of Y Das that is rideable and pops you out at the same place. You'll need to start at a different location though.

Oh, I also recommend doing it when there is a gale blowing 😳

psling
    Free Member

The Red Lion in Llanbedr is a nice pub, they just don't like muddy kit inside! Boots off, clean kit OK otherwise sit outside 🙁

Brown Trousers – ex Green Laner, mcobie??

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If you're after a techy descent, rather than just an open grassy blast and double track, the descent marked Rhiw Tramau from the spot height of 617m heading west is great.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Talgarth – Brecon Beacons’ is closed to new replies.