Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Swarm in a tea cup
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m no Cam-fan but this “news” just seems like fodder for the politically correct, what do you think?

David Cameron criticised over migrant ‘swarm’ language

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33716501

wwaswas

Nigel Farage has all the bases covered on this;

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’d take any opportunity to ridicule Cameron but trying to make a point out of that one sentence is ridiculous and makes Harmen look petty and desperate.

Own goal.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s dehumanising and is a pretty nasty evocative piece of language- people associate swarm with a bad thing. Which it is, but not for us.

fin25
    Free Member

I don’t know. Any language which seeks to dehumanise people is dangerous. Then again, people do like to make a fuss. I’d rather we focused on helping these poor people rather than worry about whether they’re a swarm or a group or a gang or whatever.
    What Cameron wants to do seems more worrying than his choice of words, which may be why he chose to use such a word, distraction…

binners

Harperson trying to win some brownie points by playing to the Guardianista gallary after her mute non-opposition to Tory cuts.

Nice to see she’s got her priorities sorted.

Kind of sums up the present labour party perfectly.

Hence the enthusiasm for Corbyn.

Northwind

Talking about humans like they’re insects is pretty shit. It’s not really the biggest issue here but I don’t think only the biggest issues are worth getting into, we can do both…

fin25 – Member

I’d rather we focused on helping these poor people rather than worry about whether they’re a swarm or a group or a gang or whatever.

I don’t think it’s 2 different things tbh. If you want to focus on helping people, then it makes sense to challenge things which make that less likely, and dehumanising them is designed to do that. Actions are more important than words but words influence actions.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d rather we focused on helping these poor people rather than worry about whether they’re a swarm or a group or a gang or whatever.

I think you sort of cover it in your post but using the word swarm makes it pretty clear that Cameron doesn’t want to help them.

binners

The most striking part of his statement is

Mr Cameron, who is on a tour of South East Asia, warned that illegal immigrants would be removed from the UK, saying Britain would not become a “safe haven” for migrants in Calais.

Yes… a ‘safe haven’ for people. How frightful! Perish the thought! Why on earth, as a supposedly civilised country, would we want to be that?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Read something via FB I think “Labour would be better lead by an out of office email” 😛

munrobiker – Member

I think you sort of cover it in your post but using the word swarm makes it pretty clear that Cameron doesn’t want to help them.

Not sure what your point is here Luke, beyond Cameron hating (covered at length elsewhere) he’s pretty clear he doesn’t want to help them.

munrobiker
    Free Member

My point was that swarm is a word that sets his stall out – I don’t want to help these people, they are a problem, a bad thing, sub-human, and this is why the Refugee Council objects to it because it is language that helps support the view that we shouldn’t be helping people that need help.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well, I disagree, it’s political correctness.

ransos
    Free Member

Cameron knew exactly what he was doing when he used the term, which can hardly be described as neutral.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ooh, a psychic!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

My point was that swarm is a word that sets his stall out – I don’t want to help these people, they are a problem, a bad thing, sub-human, and this is why the Refugee Council objects to it because it is language that helps support the view that we shouldn’t be helping people that need help.

I disagree that the word swarm is a problem in the context in which it was used. It describes a rapid movement by a large group. We use the word to describe insects because they move rapidly in groups it does not mean that all swarms consist of insects.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dictionaries back MW up.

People are just using this to pile the hate on Cameron (not that I like him mind).

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Doesn’t mean I don’t think Cameron’s a dick. But nit picking about his (as I see it) appropriate use of the english language dilutes the real argument that should be about finding a solution to mass migration.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It does have a scientific meaning, but it also has connotations and conjures and image which is why I think it was used, and why it has faced objections.

Northwind

cynic-al – Member

Read something via FB I think “Labour would be better lead by an out of office email”

Frankie Boyle, the voice of reason.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/27/labour-is-now-so-passive-it-might-as-well-be-led-by-an-out-of-office-email

martinhutch

Exactly. Harman gets the opportunity to get something into the media on a topic of national importance. And uses that to give Cameron a rather weak lecture on semantics.

Let no-one suggest that Labour is currently more focused on style rather than substantive opposition.

ransos
    Free Member

It does have a scientific meaning, but it also has connotations and conjures and image which is why I think it was used, and why it has faced objections.

Precisely. It can’t be seriously argued that language has no meaning beyond a dictionary definition.

chewkw
    Free Member

Pointless really coz none of the immigrants know the meaning of that word. 🙄

He should say something like “BritLand is being invaded” 😆

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Here’s a quote that accompanied the rescue operation following earthquakes in New Zealand.

“Hundreds of rescuers swarmed over twisted and smoking buildings in a frantic search for survivors after New Zealand’s catastrophic earthquake left nearly 400 dead or missing”

To me the word is descriptive, it’s neither negative nor positive.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Talking about humans like they’re insects is pretty shit.

….unless you’re Ant-Man. or Joe Bones, the Human Fly!

ransos
    Free Member

To me the word is descriptive, it’s neither negative nor positive.

Context matters. Consider a southern US policeman addressing a young black man as “boy”.

CountZero

Typical political point-scoring. Swarm is frequently used to describe a large group of humans rushing towards something, or over something.
    To suggest this is ‘dehumanising’ shows either deliberate PC grandstanding or ignorance of the English language and how it’s used.
    It’s not unusual for the word to be used when there’s a pitch invasion at a football match; “the crowd swarmed onto the pitch”, is that dehumanising the supporters?
    Pathetic, really.

chewkw
    Free Member

How do you describe a large group of jobworth PC bureaucratic ZMs scheming off your life?

A parasitic invasion or epidemic? 😆

In a sentence like this … ” The parasitic invasion/epidemic of jobworth PC bureaucratic ZMs have caused hardship to the population …”

edlong
    Free Member

If we’re concerned with the language used, I’m surprised no one’s as taken as I am by the fact that desperate people fleeing godawful war, disease, pestilence, oppression or whatever things make it seem like a better option to sail across the Mediterranean on something I wouldn’t venture onto Derwentwater in, or risk trying to attach themselves to the bottoms of moving lorries and trains as “migrants” these days – ‘when i wer a lad’ they were “refugees”… as descriptive language I think “refugee” covers some of the background to what’s happening at border crossings a little more fully…

tpbiker
    Free Member

pc nonsence. People are reading far too much into this. Muppet has hit nail on head.

slowoldman

“Popped over? Swarmed over more like”.

crankboy
    Free Member

I hate the man for lots of reasons including his deliberate policy last year to withdraw the Mediterranean rescue of migrants on the stated basis that the more who died at sea the more it would discourage others from trying, but this semantic row is just a shallow pointless distraction . I have heard and used swarm in positive negative and neutral contexts.

davosaurusrex

Name a swarm of insects.

Bet you the vast majority of people would answer locusts. I’m sure Cameron was aware of that, he might be a prick but he’s not stupid. I’ve read comments on Facebook like “put them all a train and blow it sky high, problem solved” and had two different guys from Dover ranting about human rights and how the want-to-be immigrants don’t have any and need some “rough justice” to encourage them to leave. When pointed out that they are people too and would you like to swap situations with them then you get the usual “yeah, I suppose you’re right” and looking at feet.
    Don’t get me wrong I don’t think this country can sustain uncontrolled immigration, nor do I know what the answer is. Also off on holiday via the chunnel in a fortnight and like everyone else could do without the potential hassle but a lot of people need a sense of perspective. Seems to me this country is in a dangerous place right now and comments like that from Cameron don’t help.

CHB

Absolute nonsense to object to the word in this context. Not a huge fan of CMD, but this is nitpicking in the extreme.
    Thought David Davies came closer…what we need is camps…erm not bad ones, good ones. He skated on very thin PC ice by talking about camps and people that we don’t want in our country…R4 classic!!

onehundredthidiot

I met some UKIP fodder in a site outside Calais two nights ago, they were all for strafing and sinking boats. They would have loved “swarm”.
    Not sure he meant it as it’s been taken but it’s a word that appeals to scum of a certain bent.

David Davies does need a punch though.

BigDummy
    Free Member

As he actually said “swarm of people”, it’s slightly redundant for Harman to then tell him to remember that he is talking about people and not insects.

I agree very strongly with the principle that it isn’t right to use reductive and de-humanising language when talking about human beings generally, but I think my calibration is less sensitive than Harman’s on this occasion.

The below are Hong Kong whingeing about mainland Chinese. The sort of vicious rhetoric that gets thrown around here is a different world from maybe calling some people a “swarm of people”, but I think we’re mostly agreed that we don’t want to go anywhere near this.

onehundredthidiot

Is it not a bit more insensitive him muttering on about boat people in Vietnam or has history been forgotten.

binners

allthepies
    Free Member

I see your swarm and raise with a virus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33722135

ransos
    Free Member

To suggest this is ‘dehumanising’ shows either deliberate PC grandstanding or ignorance of the English language and how it’s used.

It’s seeking to reduce English to dictionary definitions that demonstrates ignorance of the language and how it’s used.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So people sit in a room waiting for someone to say something, and then try to pull their words apart. Sad sad world. Plus hindsight is a wonderful thing.

What’s wrong with using a descriptive word? The PC world is going mad.

I find it odd that you can’t use a descriptive word which describe the type of behaviour very well as its offensive, but it’s ok to tell the people to bugger off, your not our problem.

If people are getting upset about the use of one word and not the fact that people are suffering then what hope is there for idiots like that 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Swarm in a tea cup’ is closed to new replies.