Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Swapping two bikes for one…….26" to 29"
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I keep having thoughts creep into my head about taking my Chumba HX2 29’er and Nicolai Helius CC 26’er, taking all the best components and buying a 29’er FS frame and building that up as a one bike to slay all comers.

I’ve seen the great reviews of the Helius AC 29’er and would love one of those, but I’d have to sell all the bits/frames before I could afford to even order one 😯

I’ve slo noticed the Titus Rockstar which seems pretty reasonable.

What else is there out there in big wheel land, thats an all round 100/120mm travel 29’er FS that’ll take a 31.6mm seatpost and handle pretty much anything that the two bikes above could.

Chainline
    Free Member

Email Richard at Gravity sports regarding the AC29, might be worth it. He also has a Demo AC29. which whilst it may attract quite a lot of interest, must at some point this year become an ex demo…

I can however confirm its great 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

Thats an idea, although he is rather a long way away from me.

soulwood
    Free Member

If I had the money, I’d go in this direction..

http://www.2soulscycles.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16&Itemid=98&lang=en

A very capable 140mm travel 29er.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Sorry but thats gopping 😳

ahwiles
    Free Member

looks like a cut-n-shut.

get the rockstar, or a spearfish / horsethief.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Salsa horsethief or santa cruz superlight – dependant on just how gnarrcore you are

Frankers
    Free Member

What else is there out there in big wheel land, thats an all round 100/120mm travel 29’er FS that’ll take a 31.6mm seatpost and handle pretty much anything that the two bikes above could.

Why not wait and see what Turners carbon offering might be… or how about a Tallboy

the_lecht_rocks

Nicolai Helius AC 29er.

120mm of Horst Link buttery travel.

replaced both my 26″ Nicolai Helius AM and Chumba VF2….

Truly brilliant all-round bike 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

Nicolai Helius AC 29er.

120mm of Horst Link buttery travel.

replaced both my 26″ Nicolai Helius AM and Chumba VF2….

Truly brilliant all-round bike 🙂

Fishbone
    Free Member

May be interested in your Chumba frame if it’s a medium (18″)

bol

Is it called a Quarterhorse because it weighs 25% as much as a horse?

the_lecht_rocks

fishbone – try richard at http://www.gravity-sports.co.uk

he has it for sale i think now.

Fishbone
    Free Member

I ment steve_b77’s Chumba HX2

steve_b77
    Free Member

TLR – that’s what I’m thinking, but I’m not sure if I should make the leap and go to one bike.

The Chumba is a medium BTW

Sancho
    Free Member

why not think about your riding and improving that rather than worrying about what the bike can handle etc.
    at the mates race at Stainburn the other week Rob rinsed everyone on a knackered old Giant with forks that hardly worked and brakes that didnt.

metalheart
    Free Member

I had a not dissimilar conundrum end of last year.

I was looking at Richards AC29er but at the end of the day the price tag even 2ndhand was too much for me. With the frame, wheels, forks and shock you are still over £2k. Hardly surprising when the frame alone is almost that at list.

Decided on a Cotic Solaris (with on one rebas) which worked out a LOT less… But not full sus (obviously).

I dont think the Rockstar has a 31.6mm pin. It looks worth a punt at a grand though. I would like a shot on one for sure.

Oh and Richard is a pretty good guy to deal with (Chainline would know and im pretty sure he’s not local either) He’d probably part ex your Nic for you too…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Sancho – you always get one 😉

Metalheart – it’s shiny pie in the sky to be fair, but we all need something to think about

GaryLake
    Free Member

Frameonly, Tallboy (Carbon or Alloy) with 120mm fork would do it for me I think. Rode one a size up but with big bars, short stem and it was really impressive. Not light in alloy though but then none of the Alloy 29er FS bikes are that light, unless you start looking at Anthems and Superflys which aren’t as big hitting.

bigsi
    Free Member

How about hanging on for the 29er El Guapo. It looks sweet as (Great Rock posted some pic’s of his freshly built one recently)

Not sure about post size but is that really a deciding factor if you can pick up a frame for £1000-£1200 rather than spending ££££ more for one that will take the post you’ve already got?

ronburgundy

Intense Spider 29er looks great as well. A Tallboy rival!

metalheart
    Free Member

Metalheart – it’s shiny pie in the sky to be fair, but we all need something to think about

Of course it is…

Until you drop the cash :mrgreen:

steve_b77
    Free Member

Lalalah lalalah I can’t hear you lalalah

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Swapping two bikes for one…….26" to 29"’ is closed to new replies.