Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Superstar wheel sets..any reviews
  • Archiedale
    Free Member

look a bargin but any good?

Archiedale
    Free Member

Now, im afraid don,t look such a bargin.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

OK OK – I shouldn't get involved but really ………

Customer service upon reporting problem was shocking, verging on insulting, despite nothing but politeness from my side. This was not a wheel I would want to be to far away from home with, just couldn't trust it.

From the boatmans link – why am I not suprised

Archiedale
    Free Member

Sorry TJ can you explain….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Archidale. I got into a rather unseemly and stupid series of spats with the owner of superstar components on this forum.

He ripped off and slagged off friends of mine so I perhaps went ott in the eyes of some in slagging him, his products and his business ethic.

Many folk on here got rather bored of it and told me to stop.

He is no longer here to defend himself so it is perhaps unseemly of me to slag him again.

julianwilson
    Free Member

…it was much funnier than he tells it though. 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What – the rock fitting tool and the aerospace engineer?

thomthumb
    Free Member

some of the products have been cheap and cheerful – others may have been cheap and nasty.

there have been several public spats – involving superstar and forum members.

forum members should have not have behaved like this – but a business ownere definatly shouldn't (imho) – i mean of all the wiggle/ crc etc bashing we never see them coming on and being offensive….

be warned superstar threads often hit 100's of nonsensical posts mostly involving octopodes!

djglover
    Free Member

Ahh, the legendary superstar 'customer service'

I haven't seen Neil post on here for a year or so but him and his products are a total joke as far as I'm concerned.

julianwilson
    Free Member

ahhh, such silly times! I'd forgotten about the aerospace engineer one! It also opened my eyes to octopus smut. 😆

Superstar HQ, this morning:

smell_it
    Free Member

I had the same problems as those in the reviews with the rear hub. After about three months of using it the rear started slipping, up to half a crank rotation, which on one occasion caused me to chuck myself forward off the bike and resulted in some serious ball pain! Was told very bluntly that this had been caused by me using WD40 on my rear cassette. I didn't use it as lube, just a quick spray to stop my cassette rusting up, as bike lives in the shed. Part of me thought fair point, but since I had treated every other bike I had owned like this and never had any problems it still struck me a bit odd that this hub would be so troubled by this. Even when I stopped using WD on it, I was still having to crack the hub every 2 months to service it. It was a pain and I had no faith in the wheel, as it was always mid ride it would start slipping. Needless to say I don't use the wheels any longer, and the customer service put me off the company.

tangobravo
    Free Member

I see TJ is still uber bitter and angry! If they were as crap and as angry as he makes out, i think they would have gone out of business by now. Methinks its an ego thing.

I had a set of the cheapo XC wheels lent to me at mountin mayhem, and they were awsome for the money. I wouldnt write home about them, but they are solid quality for half what you would pay for elsewhere. Why would i want Deore hubs on ACI spokes and bottom of the range mavic for £10 more?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tango – I have never been bitter. I was angry about what him ripping off them mocking friends of mine and then threatening me. I no longer am. I thought I posted a reasonable summary of the spat above pointing out that many would think I was at fault.

hilldodger
    Free Member

TJ has never actually owned a single Superstar product so has no first hand experience of their quality or service, it's all "a friend of a mate on a forum" stuff……

tangobravo
    Free Member

Thanks hilldoger, at least its not just me

I thought so…

Stoner
    Free Member

since SSC source their products from a variety of manufacturers and factories I wouldn't necessarily draw any conclusions about individual products capabilities from the performance of others – personally I have had some good and some bad.

Customer service though is independent of the product and has usually shown itself up as being lacking.

However, I have 3x SSC hubs (not the wheel builds, but the same hubs nonetheless) and they have proved very good to date. The "slipping" rear mentioned on bikeradar I think is the same chap who mentioned it on a thread I started about the hubs a while back:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/superstarcomponents-20mm-hub-review

I havent had the rear slip for me yet (6 months or so), and I run it on a SS.
    Easy to open up if needed though.

Front 20mm has been excellent and is my main hub – run with 20mm adaptors on Reba 120mm and QR on On-One carbons. Easy swap and no hint of a problem or unexpected bearing wear and these have been to Luchon with me.

BoardinBob

BUMP 😆

AlasdairMc

Curse you BoardinBob, I thought I'd have got in there with the bumpage!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

LOL

Artillerydave
    Free Member

was wondering how these wheelsets are going some months later, looking at the switch set, not the superleggra hub (which appears some have commented on) only helpful replies please not someone whose friend of a friends dog walking partner had a brake pad fall apart once stories…

penguinni

Ive been using a Superleggera and a Superfast for about 6 months. They are used in generally wet, very wet and muddy XC conditions and I have been very pleased with them. They spin very smoothly and until last weekend they performed faultlessly. But now the freehub wont engage immediately and it can take up to half a revolution for it to engage.

Im leaving the bike into RC tomorrow to have the hubs built onto DT 5.1s and they will have a look at the freehub. Hopefully it just needs a bit of TLC!

ononeorange

Recently bought a s/s rear wheel, it was delayed but I was kept fully informed – so no complaints there. Have used in the recent foul conditions with no problems yet, but it is early days yet.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I just want to point out that Tangobravo on this thread was infact found to be Neil from superstar.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I was just checking that too, TJ – thought it rang a bitter bell in my memory…

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Mate of mine just got a SS rear wheel. It was very slow to arrive, and then turned up taco'd. This can happen with flexy rims if the spoke tension is too high. I didn't see it as he's not so local to me. His LBS wouldn't touch it as it was so over-tensioned so he sent it back to them.
    To be fair they did send it back perfectly round, but over-tensioning spokes especially if you're using alloy nips is poor.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I have purchased some Superstar hubs, they look like a good qualit well made product, we shall see after some serious riding how the hold up. I do have an issue with the ajustable seatpost I got from superstar utter crap, should send it back really, but I have heard good reviews about Superstar wheels & hubs so the jury is out for the time being.

penguinni

Well I took apart the freehub and found one pair ( there are two pairs) of pawls had become unseated. They are held in place by a thin wire ring and had somehow moved out of their recess and onto the freehub body but still had the wire ring gripping them.

They were a wee bit dirty so a good clean and lube was required and the hub is now running smooth as a smooth thing again. It will get a good run out on Thursday so Im hoping that it will be fine!

Pretty easy to dis-assemble too!

knott4me
    Free Member

tj your wrong tangobravo is nothing to do with ss components .

i have issues with some of his products mainly brake pads & seatposts but i would be carful with your accusations .

sc-xc

^ Tangobravo was Neil! I remember that unfolding!

Kahurangi
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

knott 4 me

I suggest you look at the post from stoner on this thread.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-superstar-components-i850-seatpost
    Tangobravo has not been seen since this escapade I don't think, he was using the same phone number as Neil Wilkinson the owner of SSC and he was blatantly promoting SSC products. No protest from tangobravo either when outed

backhander
    Free Member

It would seem regardless of the quality of the kit that the owners a bit of a c0ckstand.
    Tempted by some nanos though *scurries away*

Northwind

"It would seem regardless of the quality of the kit that the owners a bit of a c0ckstand."

That is true. I mean, I use and recommend the pads, I think they're very good regardless of price and they happen to be cheap. But he's still a total fudd.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My 20mm front hub lasted about 6 months but I was trying to learn to wheelie so it took a right bashing. It also did a week DH'ing in Morzine before it started showing bearing wear.

I just bought another for £20. Seemed easier than replacing the bearings as I like building my own wheels.

I also asked the owner of Superstar what bearings to buy (to replace the ones in the **** hub). He replied with good advice but it was a few days later. Hardly the crime of the century IMO.

I can't speak for the wheels but their hubs seem fine and I'd have no issue buying another, when the time comes.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Superstar wheel sets..any reviews’ is closed to new replies.