Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Super Star sintered/Kevlar pads?
  • cookeaa

Like many people I swore off SS pads when I had a couple of pairs of the Composite/Organic pads separate from the backing some time back, but I’m willingto be won back over* (*I’m a cheapskate)…

It’s coming up to time for a re-stock of pads, My last lot of sintered Clarks were good so I’m thinking I’ll probably be after some sintered pads this time round.
    I’m assuming the disintegrating pads issue of old was confined to the composite ones – did anyone have the same problem with SS sintered? or for that matter their newer Kevlar jobbies?

And obviously I’d like to know how the kevlars compare with sintered, the claims on the website make them sound great but how are they really in terms of bite and wear when compared with a sintered pad?

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve used loads of the sintered ones in the Peak without issues. They feel like quite hard a compound and can squeal in the wet, but they’re as good as anything else sintered I’ve used and very durable.

Also using the red Kevlar ones in drier times. Quieter and more powerful, better bite and modulation than sintered I think, a bit of stronger feel, better wear rate than standard pads ime, but not a patch on the sintered ones in sustained wet and gritty Peak conditions, when they wear quite fast, though nothing like as rapidly as standard compound pads.

That’s my experience anyway. The Peak’s a bit of a horror show for pad wear, in a less abrasive area, I suspect the Kevlar ones would do perfectly well. You could always buy two pairs of each and see what works for you.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’ve have used SS reds since they came out in a set of Hope X2, mainly Surrey Hills/Swinley/Tunnel Hill riding – no problems with pad life and they seem to work consistently well in all conditions.

I’m neither a brake dragger nor a fatlad and do try to look after my components so probably not a typical stw-er but I’d be happy to recommend them for everyday use.

wrecker
    Free Member

No problems here, nor with any of my mates. Mostly riding in the welsh grit, too.

EDIT; sintered though. NOTHING else survives.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’d agree entirely with BWD re SS Kevlars.
    I ran them in Garda in the dry for a week and only went through one and a half sets in over 20,000 metres of descent.
    In those condition they were great.

BUT

I left them in after returning to the UK and the first wet Calderdale ride ate the remaining half within the first 10 miles.

portlyone

I’d agree entirely with BWD re SS Kevlars.

+1

bigjim

see my comments on this at the end of the troll thread

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Nothing but praise for SS sintered.

I’ve had pairs that have lasted over a year and for the price I fail to see why anyone complains.

I did go through 2 pairs at the Kielder 100 last year but I think that had more to do with not pre bedding in and fitting them then riding them in wet and gritty conditions.

cookeaa

Cheers for the useful responses…

I might get an extra set of Kevlar Reds just to try them out at some point over summer, but long term wear performance is higher on the priority list so 4 sets of sintered for the spares box makes sense, they will get used in both wet and dry conditions so probably best to err on the side of caution, I’m pretty happy with sintered already.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a set of sintered pads from SS, wish me luck 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Super Star sintered/Kevlar pads?’ is closed to new replies.