Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • STW SkiClub – Recommendations please!
  • Creg

Les Angles in the Pyrenees?

Never been but saw an article on it in a copy of Onboard, looked amazing

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Right, progress! Looks like Serre Chevalier is winning the day, so any more detailed experience of the place, anyone? Such as, which village is best etc? Looking at Chantemerle at the moment. Ta!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m loving this, El Fred offering the captain advice on where to go skiing.

I know absolutely nothing about ski-ing destinations, it’s just that I had an enjoyable time ski-ing in Norway one trip, and just thought it might be an alternative worth considering. I was only trying to be helpful. 😥

Haven’t you bloody booked it yet then Flashy? Tsk…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nope, not booked yet! Still enjoying that “trying to decide” phase!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh, and also forgot to mention, have changed dates and am now planning mid to late March! New job forces change of dates. Which is nice!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If your looking at Serre Chevalier, have a look at Risoul just down the road

vondally
    Free Member

I would say that USA is fab, we have skied in Colorado, brek/keystone/vail/breaver creek/ A basin plus copper mtn and value for money was excellent, Park City has some great skiing Cayons Deer Valley and so on, Steamboat great. This year family is skiing one week in La Plange they chose it for goos all round skiing and wanting a quiet resort plus a ‘green holiday’ train down staying at les coches/montchavin, I am not skiing due to recent op but looks a good choice. If you have 2 weeks and the cash USA big big powder!

jumping_flea
    Free Member

We were looking at Serre Chevalier for 2011, but have booked Les Arcs instead. Was 50/50 and Les Arcs got it because of the skiing (linked to La plagne so loads of options)

However, if your still open to other suggestions, one of my fav hols was Selva Gardina in the Dolomites. Great views, hardly any drunken brits, and vast amounts of intermediate/easy skiing – I was with the missus, so this suited her and caused no arguments 😆

The only thing about Selva and the sella ronda was i didn’t find anything very challenging for myself. If you were going to push yourself then prob get a guide to show you the best the reort has to offer.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Serre Chevalier is a great place if the snow is good (like anywhere then)- it has plenty of sun, decent tree skiing (although a lot is protected and off limits) some fun (if not all that extreme for the most part) off piste, and a reasonable area of pistes for middling and lower abilities. If you are capable (with a guide), you’re about 30 minutes from La Grave, which if conditions are right is incredible. Briancon (can’t do the little c-squiggle on this keyboard) down the road the other way towards Italy is a good old town if the evenings feel limited in Serre Chevalier. Not really sure on any of the villages that make up the area- never stayed there myself.

Bunnyhop

Serre che – is indeed a great resort, but if it were my money I’d be looking at Les Arcs.

As said above linked to La Plagne the skiing in Les Arcs has something for everyone. Its great fun watching the speed skiers with their aero dynamic helmets reaching speeds of more than 120 mph.
    Also the town below (Bourg St Maurice) has wonderful retaurants and a proper French town feel, unlike the actual resort itself.

bruk

Would think about Kaprun in Austria, linked to Glacier so always going to have some snow. Austrian towns are so much nicer than French ones and it was more reasonable than France too!

However I would love to go to Kicking Horse in BC as 1 day there just wasn’t nearly enough.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Cervinia. Backs onto Zermatt, so you get an absolute shedload of runs of all difficulty levels

I used to live in Zermatt and would often pop over into Cervinia for lunch. Nice pipe there too.

stevomcd
    Free Member

For me, Les Arcs is way too flat (la Plagne even more so), but there you go…

Muke
    Free Member

Seefeld in Austria

Bunnyhop

For me, Les Arcs is way too flat (la Plagne even more so), but there you go…

Ahh but you’re used to steep and deep 😉

I personally think the Blues in La Plagne were some of the steepest I’ve ever skied, however the reds were quite tame in comparison.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Les Arcs is a possible, but it’s far from the nicest location! (Though I have heard good things about 1950, so may be worth another look!) Just need to make sure new job will let me have time off in March now, as old job was so flexible I could have done what I liked!

stevomcd
    Free Member

I personally think the Blues in La Plagne were some of the steepest I’ve ever skied, however the reds were quite tame in comparison.

It’s not so much the gradients of the runs, it’s just the number of flat spots.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘STW SkiClub – Recommendations please!’ is closed to new replies.