Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 408 total)
  • Strathpuffer 2010 and all this snow
  • Xan
    Free Member

Anyone know what the snow situation is in Strathpeffer? Is there any risk of this being off?

Smee
    Free Member

It'll be an epic event as per usual.

Xan
    Free Member

I know that Goan, but a long time since we have had snow like this, With most of the trails in Scotland being un-doable due to all the snow wasn't going to make it possible. There are epic rides and there is just plain stupidity if there is c. 20 inches of snow like I experienced in Aviemore last night (I know that is higher that strathpeffer)

Smee
    Free Member

A few hundred wheel ruts will make short work of that though. Difficulty would come from people trying to get parked.

Xan
    Free Member

Hmm never thought of that!! And I'm supposed to be taking a caravan.

epicyclo

Xan – Member
    …and there is just plain stupidity if there is c. 20 inches of snow…

Nice summation of the 'Puffer 🙂

Probably be sopping wet sleet by then anyway. Haven't seen the Xmas/New Year weather continue to mid January yet for the 'Puffer, and it will still be plain stupidity.

trail_rat
    Free Member

endomorph at the ready ;D – 26 inch wheels in my rig with 2.8 tires will make a nice half fat bike 😀

gee
    Free Member

A race was cancelled down south in Feb due to the car park being inaccessible due to ice.

The snow on the trails wasn't the problem – it was the safety of people getting into the venue.

GB

trail_rat
    Free Member

george – last time i did the puffer EVERY vehicle was towed into the field by a tractor – the sign on tent was blown down into a heap. and the course was a sheet of glass

will have to be something special to stop it

Chipbutty
    Free Member

I rode round parts of the puffer route yesterday. You can ride in the tracks on the firetracks, but underneath the snow it is solid ice. Will take an age to thaw completely. The singletrack is ridable in areas.

A few pics from yesterday

cullen-bay
    Free Member

is it bad that i ride this track Every day and i dont recognise where some of those pic are…?

anyway, we all got our Ice tyres packed? Full mud tyres packed? (best thing in these conditions is a set of medusas…)
    full wardrobe packed? extra warm sleeping bag? ski suit for between laps?

the list goes on…
    il be starting a puffer conditions and weather predictions thread when metguess start forecasting that weekend =) this is gonna be fun.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have snow spike tyres, narrow mud tyres, ordinary trail tyres and as I am forever the optimist I have some fast rolling tyres for the dry 🙂

Innes
    Free Member

Doesn't it look great is the photos though?

I did the Puffer last year and feel I got off quite lightly, I was a spectator the year before, and that ice was mad.

Good luck to anyone doing it this time.

Innes

cullen-bay
    Free Member

och we'll be fine, maybe have a STW get together at 3 in the morning?

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

Looking forward to it 😆

Smee
    Free Member

Aye – remember to grease up your barse this time. Wouldn't want you to get red raw again and need me to go out and do your lap…

trail_rat
    Free Member

between laps ? i have a down jacket and a down vest ….. if its snow like that i intend to wear both at once for the push round …. rode in similar conditions yesterday it would loose its appeal 6 hours in i think ….

cullen-bay
    Free Member

yea, conditions will be completely different by then though, early forecasts are for a hot spell soon (4 degrees!!!) and then the week of the puffer VERY COLD!

ICE ICE BABY!!!

cullen-bay
    Free Member

but we all know the weather forecast will be wrong. so pack suncream.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

That'll make things even more interesting! This is our first 'puffer.
    I've not managed to get out on my bike for the last 2 months! The wife's starting to make noises about not being too keen and one of the other team members has previous for midnight hour call offs at the best of times!
    Suffice to say we're not aiming for a win 😀
    What's the script with the night before? The email say's there's a B&B. We're tenting it (camper fell through 🙁 )are we as well in the B&B or would we miss out on most of the social side?

Cheers

Paul.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

my m8 owns a B&B in strath, could check if its free? they are bike friendly (their son races)

the social side comes from camping, and talking to people during the event… and this planned STW Pasta party…..

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Cullen-bay, the pics are the fire road climb up from the Torachilty car park in Contin, and a pic of the river walk descent back down to the car park.

Going for a spin round the full Puffer route tomorrow with the dogs.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

what time, could meet up? i got the firetrack ones, but i didnt realise it was the river walk,
    il be doing 2-3 laps tomorrow, i havent been out on the bike for a couple of days so im going to try and make up for lost training…

P.s those tyre tracks were made by the logging trucks that are currently running up and down the firetracks, for people that werent aware….

EDIT: chipbutty, i probably know you if you are a regular in squarewheels. (im the saturday boy) Bert and dougie's mate?

mountainchub
    Free Member

XAN – it's going to be immense don't worry

As long as we've got the marquee, space heater, tent, boarding garb it'll be toastie! You want to try CV on Sunday 3rd?

GO SEXFACTOR (the rejects)!!!

Oh aye and I've just about sorted the banner – nae hoodies this year though – due to the recession an all.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Cullen bay, thats me, Berts pal Mikey.

Only just seen your post, sorry I missed you. How'd you get on today?

MrSparkle

How will it be for midges?

glynP
    Free Member

My first time and I'm crapping myself, but I cant pull out as my mates are going to kidnapp me if I try to. I hate the cold, I dont do ice and midges are wee buggers!!!!!

Smee
    Free Member

There will be pure hunners of midgies. Only they'll be highland winter sabre toothed fighting midgies and they're proper bastards

twinklydave

I can't see it being called off, the worse the weather the better the race 🙂

Only thing I'm worried about is actually getting there – driving across the highlands could be *interesting*

glynP
    Free Member

I'm more worried about trying to stand up in the car park without the bambi style dissmount

cullen-bay
    Free Member

driving conditions right now are fine, no midges-its winter, doubt it will be called off, and chipbutty- are you the guy we raced at Ten more at moray? or was that a different Mike? did you come out on a shop ride in the summer? i think it was you….

anyway, looks set to be just as exciting this year. has to be said im hoping for sheet ice, sorry guys =)

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Thats me Cullen-bay. The team that were beaten by in the senior quads by the juniors 😉

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I remember those juniors, they were like little whippets whereas I was more St Bernard 😕

cullen-bay
    Free Member

I have to admit, winning that race made us feel soo good it was unreal, and we got another piece of furniture for the shop 🙂

cullen-bay
    Free Member

todays walk….

epicyclo

The course was stunning today. Brilliant. 4 hour lap 🙂

daveb
    Free Member

1st puffer this year and looking forward to it, might even bring different tyres from my usual Nobby Nics after looking at those pics 8)

martinxyz
    Free Member

dont worry about the winter midges. they shouldnt be too bad.

Its the snow badger after sunset you have to be aware of.dont turn yer back on them and you should be fine.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

if the snow hasn't melted before the puffer then were taking shovels, Quads and a JCB up to clear it. As Goan said, the only worry is car parking…

cullen-bay
    Free Member

and another update: in the last two days another 4 or 5 inches has fallen up on the course… this is bad, peoples.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 408 total)

The topic ‘Strathpuffer 2010 and all this snow’ is closed to new replies.