Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Stove users… does log length matter?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Had our stove about 2 years now and hoping to install at least one more.
    Previously I’ve paid £75/load for ready split logs that have been about 14″ long that stack and fit in the stove nicely.
    I’ve now got a decent supply of fresh wood that’s costing £40/big pickup load and I’m happy to split and store it. Only thing is that the rings are shorter at about 9-10″ or sometimes less. Although they’re easy to split with an axe they’ll be a pain to stack nicely and I’m wondering whether the shorter length will make them burn too quickly in the stove.
    So should I ask my supply to try and cut them longer and make the splitting job harder or stick as we are?

richardk
    Free Member

Its all about girth, not length… 😯

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Surely a bit of wood x 2 bigger than another bit will burn 2 x as long?

Oh and to make it burn for longer (if your stove can) but a bed of coal in. You get through much less wood and get more heat.

Trimix
    Free Member

Leave the door open and feed in a whole tree, saves on all that chopping and cutting.

sharkbait
    Free Member

FD, you’re probably right but just thought I’d check! Already using a bit of smokeless coal (6 or 7 lumps max) and yes, it makes a huge difference – and smokeless is much better than ‘normal’ coal.

teasel
    Free Member

feed in a whole tree

🙂

Excellently evocative…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stove users… does log length matter?’ is closed to new replies.