Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 356 total)
  • Storm A Brewing Down South
  • zippykona

I briefly caught the tail wind of legend.
    When you are going really fast and there’s no wind noise or resistance. Lasted about half a mile though.

IdleJon

cinnamon_girl – Member

My local Waitrose was heaving with the middle-classes preparing for a siege this morning.

I remember 3-4cm of snow falling when I lived near Kingston upon Thames (New Malden) in 1991 iirc. My housemate and I couldn’t get to work due to train cancellations so we grabbed some beer from Waitrose, ready for an afternoon in. Every other person seemed to be stockpiling bottled water!

matt_outandabout

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Actually having come in from walking the dogs, I would say pretty not bloody windy. Beautiful day for a ride actually which is a bugger when theres grass to cut.

marcus
    Free Member

I’ve postponed dragging the caravan down to the Gower for the week till things have settled down. Dread to think what the fuel economy would have dropped to for a defender & caravan into the head wind.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

This is the calm before the storm. Expect the worst of it from 05.00 tomorrow.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Blowy and just started hissing it down here in Brizzle.

IdleJon

marcus – Member

I’ve postponed dragging the caravan down to the Gower for the week till things have settled down.

You are really trying to start me ranting about the number of caravan sites disfiguring Gower, aren’t you? Well I’m not going to fall for it. 😆

(btw the name is Gower, Gwyr, the Gower Peninsular, or if you are trying to be posh, The Gaar. Gower normally does it for locals. )

Karinofnine

The awning’s flapping a bit, I can see the Site Assistants have still got theirs up, bloke next door hasn’t taken his down either.

marcus
    Free Member

Dont know what ya mean Jon – All those lovely white and cream plastic boxes scattered around the headlands, reflecting the sunshine and contrasting nicely with the pastel green grass and shimmering blue sea. – Not to mention clogging the roads up.

rossi46
    Free Member

😆 caravanists.

Here at ground zero, I just had a leaf blow past me. With its branch attatched! I think there is an 82% chance we’ll all die and be left with plague and pestilence.
    Ahem….

MrNutt
    Free Member

“winds pickin’ up a bit” on Exmoor

Klunk
    Free Member

might be fun getting the powerkite out though I don’t think my ankles would be up to this kind of wind ! 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

Bad enough here to have some pretty big trees bending and crap coming out of the chimney 😯

scandal42
    Free Member

I have just stripped my bike down ready for the new build and the grass was moving slightly.

Think I got sun Burnt on the head as well.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Right off to fire up the Syncro for the trip to deepest Dorset.
    Departure time now set for midday tomorrow instead of 7am so hopefully the worst will be over.
    😀

Stoner
    Free Member

flying to Saudi from Heathrow on Tuesday morning early-ish, so hopefully the wind will have gone through by then. Hate big-yaw take-offs & landings.

Got wet coaching rugby this morning.

Quite looking forward to a ripper of a storm coming through. Enough fuel, food & booze in the house to keep me going.

crazy-legs

The news is saying to only make journeys that are essential so I’m just off for a ride on the CX bike.

I’ll be back later with tales of how I NEARLY DIED.

saxabar
    Free Member

Proper windy in North Wales. Just been up to the top of the quarries/Llanberis. Perhaps not the smartest idea as helmets and howling headwinds don’t get on. A tentative descent!

zippykona

Washing on the line and grass cut. It must be summer.

IdleJon

marcus – Member

Dont know what ya mean Jon – All those lovely white and cream plastic boxes scattered around the headlands, reflecting the sunshine and contrasting nicely with the pastel green grass and shimmering blue sea. – Not to mention clogging the roads up.

😆 Btw, if you get to 3 Cliffs Caravan site – looking at your history it seems to be where you’re headed? – there is a rather nice green lane bridleway running from the near the entrance to the site at the top of the hill down to Parkmill. Quite wide, but rocky and slippery. Hold on to your bike and hope you keep it pointed in the right direction..

theotherjonv

I don’t understand weather and I don’t understand wind. It’s been blowing hard in Surrey, and with the storm due through later tonight / early hours I’d assumed it was ‘starting’

But now, there’s barely a gentle breeze. Then in half an hour’s time it’ll be full on again. Why?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TOJ, we can’t be that far away from each other location wise. I have just finished in the garden in time, wind is picking up again and it is raining hard albeit in heavy showers.

But in as wet to the question that is he characteristic of weathe patterns as front pass through.

tenfoot

Was up at the cyclopark with my wife and son earlier (cyclopark still as naff as ever), and nearly got blown off the side of the trail.

My daughter is being sent back from Brownie camp early, so there goes our peace and quiet.

Questioning whether it would be wise to go out for a nightride tonight.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Bad enough here to have some pretty big trees bending and crap coming out of the chimney

Jackdaws?

The weather in Salford is getting a bit odd.

Barometer is down to 976mb but it’s quite still.

Hope my 30ft sycamore stays upright through the night!

EDIT well 11 mins after posting, the wind is now 10mph gusting to 25!

philconsequence
    Free Member

“Please can you all be aware that The Crown Estate ownership of Swinley Forest will be shut from dusk tonight until further notice due to the impending bad weather that is forecast for tonight and early tomorrow morning. This includes all of the mountain bike trails.

Our rangers will posting signs on entrances this afternoon informing visitors and will be patroling the forest areas in the morning and advising people to leave.

We plan to review the situation mid moring on Monday both to assess the ongoing weather forecast and to ascertain the extent of any damage that may or may not have occured.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but please be assured we will endeavour to open up all areas as soon as possible.

If you can share this message wth any people you know who will be affected by this closure we would be very grateful.”

_tom_
    Free Member

It was a bit windy in my lunch break today and it pissed it down last night. Other than that it seems ok in Northants/Milton Keynes. Hoping it stays dry enough for me to get a ride in at woburn after work 🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

We are battening down the hatches on the Kent coast. It’s very, very windy now and the sea is starting to build. My missus is quite alarmed. I’m hopeful that the willow tree crashes through the kitchen and I can get the whole room refurbed on the insurance.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pics of the sea would be cool, if anyone’s by it 🙂

Just pretty windy here in SE Wales, but since we haven’t had weather like this for a while it seems a bit more dramatic. Lots of rain off and on, one wheelybin’s been for a short excursion but nothing worse so far.

fasthaggis

Mol ,you are on the internet dude 🙄

Bournemouth

😀

yunki
    Free Member

Naff all going on in Devon.. It got a bit gusty for an hour but calm again now

bearnecessities

I just saw a cardboard box blowing across the road by Pets at Home.

I can’t confirm whether any gerbils were within.

zippykona

Pics of the sea would be cool, if anyone’s by it

I’d like some as well.

hammyuk
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    Pics of the sea would be cool, if anyone’s by it

I’d like some of swell.

Corrected for you…

rossi46
    Free Member

Well it’s blowing a hoolie in North Kent, I’ve put everything in my newly built shed and bungeed everything else to the balcony. Hopefully my shed is storm proof or my bikes will end up in the North Sea!
    Rabbits are coming into the house later aswell. It might turn out to be nothing, but it’s best to be cautious.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mol ,you are on the internet dude

I am? Whoooah….

Lol.. after waiting for the video to load it was a total anticlimax.

yossarian
    Free Member

Yeah no probs. I’ll wait until the hurricane is at its peak and then go to the cliff top to get you fellas some pics. 🙄 🙂

verses
    rogerthecat
    Free Member

It’s pretty breezy up here in the Peaks and there’s no shortage of rain at the moment, prob because I am trying to fix and exhaust!!

restless
    Free Member

Maybe I should take my gazebo cover off then.
    Don’t want it flying away

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 356 total)

The topic ‘Storm A Brewing Down South’ is closed to new replies.