Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 356 total)
  • Storm A Brewing Down South
  • rossi46
    Free Member

Met Office issues an amber alert for Southern England. Could be a nasty little bugger too by all accounts 🙁

Kryton57

Great, I was taking Jnr on his first ever MTB run on Monday.

rossi46
    Free Member

Hurricane

Oh here we go 😆 -media jumping on that bandwagon then!

molgrips
    Free Member

Getting rather windy here in South Wales.

shermer75
    Free Member

ononeorange

They’ve been talking about this a bit recently. No doubt the train companies will be delighted to use it as an excuse to run no service for a few weeks – getting to work and back will be hell next week grrrr grrrr grrrrrr

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sunday looks fun 🙂

If you want any West to East KOMs, that’s the day!

rossi46
    Free Member

If you want any West to East KOMs, that’s the day!

I like your thinking 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve a got a couple lined up. Might be slightly late for work 😀

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Monday morning is likely to be the most doomtastic.

project
    Free Member

Just driven back from Chester, (thats up north) and a massive storm, lots of flooded roads, and headless drivers driving like its the end of the world,

rossi46
    Free Member

Chester, (thats up north) and a massive storm

Big hail and all sorts apparently!

Grim oop North

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I got an email from my insurance co…

Helping you keep your home safe
    Handy hints to prepare for wet weather
    Dear Mr 2unfit

Weather forecasters have issued flood warnings over the coming days. So, as a precaution for everyone, we’ve put together some tips and advice to help keep homes safe in the stormy weather.

We’re hoping very few areas will be seriously affected – but it’s a good idea to make a few preparations just in case. You can visit the Environment Agency website to find out if there are flood warnings near you.

Put together an emergency kit in case you’re stuck in your home – you could include waterproof clothes, non-perishable food, bottled water and any medication that you take
    Have a battery-powered radio for local alerts
    Keep your mobile phone fully charged – and make sure you have useful numbers that you may need, like AXA’s home insurance claim line:
    0844 874 0218*
    It’s always a good idea to keep important documents, including insurance policies, upstairs in your home or at a high level, preferably in a waterproof container
    Make sure you know how to shut-off gas, electricity, oil-fired heating and water, even in the dark
    Sand bags, flood sacks, door guards and air brick covers can also stop or slow water getting into your home. A good DIY store should stock these items.
    Please make sure your home is well maintained to prevent leaks as damage due to wear and tear may not be covered

Turn off your water, gas and electricity
    Unplug all electrical items – store smaller items somewhere high or upstairs
    Put plugs into sinks and weigh them down with something heavy
    Move personal possessions, valuables and any light furniture upstairs
    Leave internal doors open
    If there is no time to take down curtains, hang them over the rail so they are kept above the flood water

At AXA we know that little things mean a lot when you’re looking after your home – and these tips could make a big difference.

We hope that nobody needs to worry about flooding. Rest assured, we’ll be here to help.

Yours sincerely,

AXA Insurance

*Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call costs may vary depending on your service provider.

To unsubscribe log into your AXA Account and go to your customer log in details near the top of the page. Click the ‘change’ option next to your email address. The option to unsubscribe is in the marketing preference section at the bottom of the page. Just click on ‘change your contact preferences’.

AXA general insurance policies are underwritten by AXA Insurance UK Plc which is registered in England and Wales registered number 078950 and authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under Financial Services Register number 202312. Registered address is 5 Old Broad Street, London EC2N 1AD.

I’m suitably scared, 😉

Kryton57

I got one too. I’m waiting to find out on Tuesday that not doing every the email said has automatically invalidated my policy…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Weather man hype, it always is.

rossi46
    Free Member

Weather man hype, it always is.

Daily Excess is at it too

It is however coming in on the jetstream straight from the Gulf of Mexico, so it will be a naughty one 😈

Edric64
    Free Member

Might ride from Bath to Nottingham to see my brother shouldnt take long

matt_outandabout

Only 60mph wind? Oh come on, can’t we have a proper storm?
    It was fun…
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/matt_outandabout/6686362953/
    😀 😆 😯 😕

binners

Pfft! You big southern pansies! We’ll be on our usual balmy northern Monday pub ride, as always looking out for falling coconuts

roger_mellie

I predict a low turnout at work on Monday. Twigs in the road etc.

scotroutes

Haven’t we done this thread twice already this week?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

Haven’t we done this thread twice already this week?

Are you bored already? I know your omnipresent on here for now, but this is how we roll… 🙄
    Not everyone gets to see each thread, some of us have lives a sort of existence outside of STW.

😉

scotroutes

😆

I’m just surprised the Mods haven’t closed this one down in their current drive to avoid too many threads (or something)

Anyroadup, some of us had work this afternoon 😈

ninfan
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTzh8uhnlqc[/video]

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Arse.
    Driving down to Dorset for a few days on Monday.
    May swap going down in the Camper for the Syncro. (no fellatio jokes please!)
    😀

grantway
    Free Member

They said it was going to be poring of rain in London for today, yesterday
    and it was nice and warm today.
    So until it happens I fail to see why the worry !

What ever happened to putting yourself outside and seeing for yourself

Ambrose

Bothy trip planned to Mid Wales this weekend. That will be fun 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

God I hope they are wrong – in laws should be heading home to Sussex early Monday morning….

molgrips
    Free Member

What ever happened to putting yourself outside and seeing for yourself

I dunno about you but my front door only opens on today, not two days’ time.

CountZero

Just copied this from WeatherPro:
    End of October storms of the past and future
    24.10.2013 16:57

On Monday there is potential for a deep low pressure to move eastwards across England and this could bring stormy conditions to the south of Britain. A few days out there is a lot of uncertainty – if the low tracks further south the strongest winds will be over the Channel or northern France, a little further north and more of the UK could experience the windy weather. Yet the low hasn’t even developed yet. A series of elements need to come together to cause this low pressure to develop and deepen. One element is already there, a strong jet stream pointing at the UK stretching across the Atlantic hence our recent unsettled weather. Current timings bring the low pressure through during daylight hours and there is the potential for disruption to transport and energy networks.

Low pressures bringing unsettled weather are typical for autumn, especially the end of the October. Some notable storms for the end of October are as follows.

The Royal Charter Storm occurred on the 25th and 26th October 1859. The storm takes its name from the steam clipper which was coming to the end of a long trip from Australia and heading for Liverpool. As the ship rounded Anglesey the Force 12 winds drove the ship onto the rocks and it was wrecked with 450 lives lost. The storm came into the south-west approaches and then moved northwards through the Irish Sea.

On the 27th October 2002 a storm which was the remnants of Hurricane Jeannette came in off the Atlantic and crossed eastwards across Ireland and northern England. The strongest winds occurred over the southern half of Britain with a 96mph gust reported at the Mumbles in south Wales. A gust of 102 mph was reported at the very exposed site of the Needles lighthouse on the Isle of Wight. Some recording stations in East Anglia also experienced their highest gusts since the Burns day storm of 25th January 1990.

The 28th October 1989 brought another intense low pressure in from the Atlantic – this storm brought a gust of 108 knots (124mph) to Rhoose in the Vale of Glamorgan. This is the highest gust ever recorded at a low level site in England and Wales.

With the count down to the end of the October on the way and low pressures likely to dominate the weather; it’s definitely a week to keep an eye on the weather forecasts.”

jam-bo

That chart doesn’t look as bad as 1987. That blew the roof off my house…

wiggles
    Free Member

thought this was going to be another toilet related thread…

maxtorque

Here’s the Atlanic, about 3 hrs ago:

project
    Free Member

Maxtorque, no problem with flushing the outside toilets then.

Those containers are the toilets arent they.

jam-bo

Here’s the Atlanic, about 3 hrs ago:

Is that anywhere near the Atlantic?

Did a run through Biscay once in a F12. Big enough ship to handle it but got a bit wild for a while.

rossi46
    Free Member

Here’s the Atlanic, about 3 hrs ago

Blimey, where’s George Clooney? That pic reminds me of that film.

matther01
    Free Member

Will be tying a kite to my bike this weekend…no trees should get in the way considering they’ll have all blown down.

Kryton57

Met office says 36mph on Sunday night here in London.

I’m shitting myself….

ohnohesback
    Free Member

That’ll be the average wind speed. Gusts will reach higher speeds. The threshold for damage to buildings is 47mph and up. Depending on which part of London you live in you should be spared the worst of it as London is both inland, and the mass of buildings will attenuate the force of the wind.

Will this storm be as severe as forecast? We won’t know until it hits. Living on the central south coast I’m sure I’ll find out.,. I’m prepped and waiting with both anticipation and trepidation.

rossi46
    Free Member

Red warning issued this morning, not often one of those gets issued. 80mph+ winds.
    Maybe this will be a dodgy one after all !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 356 total)

The topic ‘Storm A Brewing Down South’ is closed to new replies.