Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • STOLEN – Bristol BS7
  • boxfish
    Free Member

Stolen last night from garage. The f**kers couldn’t break the lock so they sawed the frame.

Brodie Holeshot Ti small
    DTSwiss XMM140
    Stans Flow on gold CK hubs
    Conti Rubber Queen 2.2″ tyres
    Middleburn chainset
    XTR shifters & mechs
    Rockshox reverb post
    Ragley Carbon bars

Gutted.

This is what I was left with

FuzzyWuzzy

Ugh nightmare, looks like you put a bit of effort into speccing that up 🙁

boxfish
    Free Member

Yeah, time, effort, money. It’s also the first set of wheels I ever built.

Leku
    Free Member

Shit. That is awful. Will keep them peeled (BS6)

boxfish
    Free Member

I’ve put the axe down now. Just sending stuff to insurance peeps and the fuzz. They want the frame number….the frame, the lovely frame….she is dead!!

si-wilson
    Free Member

noooo! what a shame, i feel really bad for you having had the same happen to me last year 🙁

boxfish
    Free Member

Thanks Si. After waiting 6 months for the frame to arrive, it’s gone in less then that 5. I’ve got to seriously reconsider whether I want to build up such a bling bike again.

downs523
    Free Member

What lock was used mate

richc
    Free Member

Bugger, glad to hear its insured, was it kept in the house?

Also have you been riding in Ashton court? As people were getting followed home last year, so it might be the same gang

woody74

What a gutter, I will keep an eye out, work down in Easton and amazing how many dodgy bikes you see around the place.

So did they destroy the frame? What dicks

Have a look at http://www.stolenbristolbikes.com as their’s a copper based at Trinity Road who deals bike bike crime. Helpful chap and might be worth getting in contact as if it is like most crime they know who’s doing it. The guy who runs http://www.stolenbristolbikes.com might know his name.

richc
    Free Member

I take it you have setup your ebay searches…

boxfish
    Free Member

Have just seen CSI chap out of the door. They dusted for prints but it appears the perp was wearing gloves. Now waiting for the locksmith. The multi-point locking uPVC door to the garage was ripped off its hinges. Possible DNA trace taken away though. I don’t hold out much hope to be honest. I thought there might be prints on the slice of downtube I was left with. No such luck. They must have taken one look at the Pragmasis 16mm chain and decided to hack the frame to pieces.

Have already emailed stolenbristolbikes.com with details.

🙁 👿

MrAgreeable

Boxfish, I run StolenBristolBikes and I’ve taken the liberty of posting up on the blog – hope you don’t mind. I wouldn’t be surprised if the wheels and fork showed up on Fleabay or similar, so as Rich says get some saved searches set up.

Happy to help if any of the bits do show up, just drop me an email at stolenbristolbikes@gmail.com

We seem to be getting a real spate of thefts at the moment. The chairwoman of the local MTB club had her Giant Anthem nicked (it’s got girly pink cables so should be pretty distinctive) together with a rare Transition Bandit belonging to a guy they’d just done a skills day with.

http://www.bristolmountainbikeclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2212

Seems a bit more ambitious than the usual cable lock snipping antics that make up most bike theft here.

MrAgreeable

Ah, cheers Boxfish, just got your mail. White Stan’s rims and gold King hubs, that’s a bit of a distinctive combo.

boxfish
    Free Member

Distinctive combo or just bad taste? 😉

rondo101
    Free Member

Have you been riding AC/LW & ridden home Boxfish?

A couple of lads from our club thought they were followed home the other night.

MrAgreeable

It’s a little bit Siegfried and Roy. 😉

That’s potentially a good thing though. I get a lot of emails from people who’ve had completely stock bikes nicked, no record of serial number, etc. I do post them up but it tends to be the more unusual bikes that get returned.

boxfish
    Free Member

I ride to and from AC/LW/50-Acre a lot. My spider-senses never tingled.

boxfish
    Free Member

It’s a little bit Siegfried and Roy

Alas, my pride of fearsome felines was nowhere to be seen.

simonac
    Free Member

Eyes peeled in BS5 – decent kit will stand out a mile round here.

Don’t care how many mouths they have to feed/crack they have to buy – they need stringing up.

Here’s hoping (for you and for them).

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that, and sorry generally as thefts in BS7 seemed a bit less regular of late…

I’ve taken to feeding my chains through the bike frames and fork arches to maybe deter this type of theft, but then again, if someone goes to the trouble of trashing a uPVC door then they will probably take what they can get and destroy the rest. But at least you might keep your forks? I might start locking wheels separately too, but you can only go so far before you cant be @rsed to unlock the whole lot and go and ride yourself.

BTW – does anyone in Bristol have an update from that officer that was designated to investigate bike theft? Does he have a way of combatting the cunning use of hoodies and gloves yet…?!

crispedwheel
    Free Member

That photo of the reminaing piece of frame is very sad.
    Hope you manage to recover the rest of the bike – some distinctive kit there.

MrAgreeable

does anyone in Bristol have an update from that officer that was designated to investigate bike theft? Does he have a way of combatting the cunning use of hoodies and gloves yet…?!

That particular officer is no longer assigned to bike crime, but they did get some encouraging results – something like an 8% drop in theft. There was a focus on prevention (locking correctly, free frame tags, etc) which is all well and good, but of course it does naff all in cases like the one above.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Not trying to profit from your loss, but if you did want another I will knock 10% off a new frame an throw in a hope headset, might help just a little 🙁

FuzzyWuzzy

Call me lazy but when it gets to the point I have to use multiple looped locks to secure my bike I’d rather not bother and just leave it up to insurance. I’d happily support a punishment of removing hands from bike thieves Saudi Arabian style though…

boxfish
    Free Member

Si, that’s really generous of you and I will have to consider it. I don’t want to make any snap decisions though so will mull it over and hope that, if I do fancy another Holeshot, you haven’t sold out. Cheers.

MrAgreeable

Rondo, just to check, is Mark OK with you posting his details on here?

therevokid
    Free Member

I’m in BS7 too – Having looked at your pictures
    got a very uncomfortable feeling – especially the first image
    … the background buildings are VERY familiar !!!!

Still will keep my eyes open on my travels too.

noteeth
    Free Member

Utter scum.

BS3 here, but will keep eyes/ears open.

boxfish
    Free Member

… the background buildings are VERY familiar !!!!

Well, if you live around Ashley Down Road/Muller Road area, they might seem familiar.

mamadirt
    Free Member

That photo of the reminaing piece of frame is very sad.
    Hope you manage to recover the rest of the bike – some distinctive kit there.

+1 – lovely looking build . . . pass me that axe if you’re not using it 👿

womble321
    Free Member

Bs 14 eyes peeled. What bastards i have been sorting my garage ready stop these types of people.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Fuzzywuzzy – that only works if you have spare cash to buy a replacement or dont mind waiting 6 weeks without a bike whilst M&S sort out the claim.

And if you’ve made £15k worth of bike claims in the last 2 years then that tends to lead to a more cautious approach to securing bikes.

I get what you’re saying though, and there’s only so much you can do

And yep, worryingly familar houses in the background. Is there anyone in the stated area left that hasnt lost at least one bike?

boxfish
    Free Member

The other thing about leaving it to insurance is the that premiums will just keep on rising. I’m now considering bricking up the garage doors that open onto the back lane. Inconvenient, yes, but then again the feckers will probably pull the roof off next time.

ransos
    Free Member

I get what you’re saying though, and there’s only so much you can do

If the scrotes are prepared to saw through your frame, what can you do? The only thing to say is whilst this doesn’t help boxfish, I’m sure that this type of theft is rare.

boxfish
    Free Member

Given what was left behind, including my Van Nicholas Yukon road bike (minus it’s front wheel which was D-locked to the Brodie) and a pair of Crank Brothers wheels, it’s fairly obvious that they were after the Brodie. Needless to say, all shiny things have now been moved to a safe location whilst I consider enhanced security measures. The chap from the CSI made some interesting suggestions! Say no more.

I still can’t believe they sawed the frame though. ****.

I’m sure that this type of theft is rare

Not according to the CSI and the locksmith it isn’t. The garage is approx 100ft from the house (long, narrow back garden). Unless we were awake at the time, it’s be quite conceivable that the noise wouldn’t wake us up.

SOAP
    Free Member

Jeez BS34 keeping an eye out.
    I’ve just moved to Bristol and see so much bike theft from garages 🙁
    Extra looks being fitted at the weekend.

Reluctant
    Free Member

That’s criminal on so many levels. There’s times I don’t miss Bristol – such a shame the scum level is so high 👿

MrAgreeable

Bump.

Just heard from a mate that one of the bikes on the blog has been recovered by police after it was listed and sold on Fleabay. It was stolen about 10 months ago so don’t give up hope.

boxfish
    Free Member

don’t give up hope

Cheers, but seeing as they sawed the frame up… 👿 I doubt I’ll ever see it again unless it happens to be in a skip nearby!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘STOLEN – Bristol BS7’ is closed to new replies.