Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stickler at Swinley
  • greasystain
    Free Member

I’m off to Swinley at the weekend for the first time in a while and I’ve read through a few old threads but I’m still not sure where ‘the stickler’ is. Is it opposite the fireroad where Tank Traps ends?

tooslow
    Free Member

No, opposite the entrance to the Tank Traps.

tooslow
    Free Member

If you follow the 9 Yards trail to the 2nd forest road crossing, turn right along the forest road the other end is about 20 metres along on the left.

theotherjonv

No, other end (assuming your understanding of tank traps is the same as mine) – one end of Stickler is about 20yards back towards LSP on the other side of the fireroad, although I think it actually flows better from the far end and ending here and straight on to Tank traps. Try both and see what you prefer!

[To me, tank traps is the trail which starts like most of the swinley ones, but ends swooping from side to side through a deepish gulley with big concrete blocks (the actual tank traps)]

greasystain
    Free Member

Oh… I think I’m beginning to understand. thanks

tooslow
    Free Member

That’s the Tank Traps I mean too.

I think the Stickler works both ways but I like to link it up the the Tank Traps so I often ride it from the Full 9 Yards end.

atlaz
    Free Member

Problem is you also miss some of the best flowing trails if you start at that end. Oh well, doing it twice never hurt anyone. Need to try to get up early tomorrow so I can get some clear runs before the families turn up.

theotherjonv

I do Seagull from the Crowthorne end, up the fireroad into the far end of Stickler, and then Tanktraps all as one non-stop piece of trail, just as in the Gorrick earlier this year.

Apart from about 400yds of fireroad linking the end of Seagull into Stickler, that’s about as good as it gets for continual s/track in the south east. IMHO.

atlaz
    Free Member

Have they done anything with the surface on seagull? I gave up with it in winter as it wasn’t really much fun when it got damp and all those polished stones didn’t do much for grip.

theotherjonv

it’s bedded in well now. The surfacing is a necessary evil – it would have been nice to have been able to leave it as it was but you can see how some of the unsurfaced trails have now suffered with the volume now.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Have they done anything with the surface on seagull? I gave up with it in winter as it wasn’t really much fun when it got damp and all those polished stones didn’t do much for grip.

Yeah, there’s a nice grippy tarmac surface now so we don’t have to worry about such things.

(Jesus probably wept, then emailled his MP.)

16stonepig
    Free Member

There have been plenty of arguments (sorry – “discussions”) about the surfacing of Seagull, but it’s generally been agreed that it’s the best possible option for the most heavily used trails.

atlaz
    Free Member

Yeah, there’s a nice grippy tarmac surface now so we don’t have to worry about such things.

(Jesus probably wept, then emailled his MP.)

Well there’s plenty of trails so I don’t feel the urge to ride the stuff I don’t enjoy. The trails with most use at Swinley all get the same sort of surface and at times they get so heavily used they’re not as much fun as they could be. Neccesary evil I’m sure but that’s what choice is for.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Hey, don’t worry about my opinion, it’s been months since I’ve ridden at Swinley and it will be months again until it’s graced by my presence.

Slippy stoney trails do it for me, but I can appreciate that heavily used sections will not last that long if they are not “armoured” by something.

greasystain
    Free Member

Found the Stickler this morning. Went to the end of TT and cycled all the way up to the start of Sticker. Now I know where it starts. That makes me happy.

Nice trail – must practice those tight turns.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stickler at Swinley’ is closed to new replies.