Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • stag weekend in Leeds- suggestions please
  • turin
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I am due to be in Leeds for the first weekend in April, to be honest I have no idea why the best man chose Leeds, not that I have anything at all against the place. However none of the people going have any idea what we are going to be doing apart from the evenings in the local hotspots.

I was hoping that there might be some people who would be able to give us some ideas of what we could do to amuse ourselves, primarily on the Saturday.

The group is around 15 people early to late 30s and not really into the mountainbiking scene but probably not adverse to something along the lnes of karting. Prtyy vague I know but all help would be appreciated.

cheers

CHB

Theres indoor carting on the edge of the city centre (near Tetleys brewery,about a mile from the centre). If you are in cars you might be better going to Xscape just of J32 of M62 (15min drive) where you can do skiing, bowling, laserquest and there are lots of bars and restaurants.

I would start at xscape then get the train (right outside) to leeds for the evening out.

djglover
    Free Member

DV8?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That karting place is pretty good Leeds karting – it is a huge indoor circuit and is great fun.

For gentlemen’s entertainment there is DV8, Purple Leopard and another one, which I don’t recall the name of. All are rubbish. But then again – aren’t all lappy bars rubbish? You could try the Comedy Club – at the other side of Leeds from the karting place, near the Merrion Centre. As for bars – there is a huge choice but there are a few that take a dim view of large groups of lads so go in small groups to be sure you will get in.

Historically the best bar is Mojo but I haven’t been there in ages (it is the one Fatty Moyles used to rave on about all the time). Then there is The Elbow Rooms – a huge pool bar where you pay by the hour for the pool tables and they do great burgers. A great place to spend the afternoon chillng before it all gets really silly.

mrsflash
    Free Member

The karting place is excellent, well worth it.

DV8 is shut down now isn’t it??

Mojo is ok, usually rammed though.

grumm
    Free Member

There’s a street down to the right of the corn exchange called Call Lane that has quite a few nice trendy ish bars – Elbow Rooms is not far from there either. Xscape is def a good plan if you don’t mind driving a bit.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is that weird fast food place still open just behind the Corn Exchange? It does some exotic food from somewhere other than the usual India/China/Turkey.

Mojo was always rammed whenever I went, but it kinda added to the atmosphere – plus it never seemed to take too long to get served (probably because every drink costs a round number so little waiting for change).

mrsflash
    Free Member

Is that weird fast food place still open just behind the Corn Exchange? It does some exotic food from somewhere other than the usual India/China/Turkey.

yes. I walk past it every day, can’t for the life of me remember what it’s called though! It’s something middle eastern I think?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Another vote for The Elbow Rooms for after your daytime activities but before the evening onslaught.

If the worst comes to the worst I am sure “Flares” nightclub will let you all in.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes that sounds about right Mrs Flash – I was remembering some kind of pitta breads and meats in a very scruffy surrounding/walls full of student/band posters and stuff. Only ever been there once.

Flares or Majestyk (shudders)…

mrsflash
    Free Member

Majestyk also shut I think.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Best thing for it.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Could be worse. At least they are not having the night out in Wakefield.

aP
    Free Member

I though Leeds was the centre of the universe? Seems quite hard to have a night out there 🙄

woody2000

You could go to Space, they have footballers in there and everything 😉

Oracle Bar clicky does good burgers, and is quite a nice place to be before it gets too mad.

Hi-Fi Club clicky – comedy on a weekend, then it turns into a club night

As mentioned before, some nice bars down the Calls and around the Corn Exchange, also nice round Millenium Square

Enjoy!

mrsflash
    Free Member

Leeds is the centre of the universe and it’s easy to have a great night out here so ner! 😉

For a bit of class, you could head for Epernay, the champagne bar. Or the canapes in harvey nicks bar are good too.

ton

greek street is the best for bars.
    specially if you like to talk to and meet older ladies…. 😉

darrell
    Free Member

is the duck and drake still open?

twohats
    Free Member

yes. I walk past it every day, can’t for the life of me remember what it’s called though! It’s something middle eastern I think?

Kaddas!

The bars around the corn exchange/call lane are your best bet.

Although as a group of 15 blokes, you will have trouble getting into most of the bars. Even groups of 2 and 3 can have problems.

Avoid Greek street unless you like manky old milf, i.e, mutton dressed as lamb…

MartinGT
    Free Member

Mrsflash, why do you know DV8 is shut!

Lots of places to go in Leeds, you have to visit the Grove pub after youve been carting, its right next to Bridgewater Place, some great live music in there.

I would goto the Bars around the Corn Exchange,Greek Street or Millenium Square. Keep away from Oceana and Yates etc, unless you wanna scrap or pull a mincer, mind you its a stag do.

mrsflash
    Free Member

second job innit 😉

(actually I walked up call lane recently and it just looked very shut down).

CHB

Duck and Drake still very much open and still serving some of the best beer in Leeds (fantastic pint of Landlord in there, plus many guest beers). It’s a funny pub, looks like an old whino’s dive to the casual passer by, but the customers are a good mix of old soaks, students and Leeds folk who have grown up with it. Probably my favourite Leeds pub.

warton
    Free Member

I was in Leeds last weekend for my stag, great place.

we went to xscape for snowboarding, book early, its a right laugh.

Then we went to elbow rooms for pool, then onto:

Oporto (great bar, met woody from this is england in there, classic)

Sandinista, great bar again, great crowd, and sierra Nevada on tap

Mojos. Great place, heaving though, couldn’t move

Then it all beomes very blurry

really good night out though, great city

MartinGT
    Free Member

I hope your hubby knows MrsFlash 🙂

Its actually a bar now, its alright, get some weird types in but thats Leeds for you, a very metropolitan city 🙂

Aye, duck and drake, some smashing ales on in there!

woody2000

Nearly forgot – go for a pint in Whitelocks if you get chance, great little boozer – clicky

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Was gonna mention Opporto, but they are VERY strict on male groups and/or drunks (the woman on the door seems to dislike me intently – never seems to like my going in).

twohats
    Free Member

The woman on the door of Opporto is a right miserable cow and hates everyone!

A group of us once got refused entry to Opporto as we weren’t a mixed group. We then pointed out that most of our girlfriends were sat on the other side of the window, to which the doorman said “if you all go for walk around the block and come back 2 at a time, we’ll let you in”. We didn’t argue, but couldn’t see why he wouldn’t let us in there and then seeing as he knew we were a group and he was going to let us in anyway! Doorman logic for you…
    (All this much to the annoyance of the woman door person/bouncer)

djglover
    Free Member

Sadly Leeds hayday for nightlife ended years ago with the demise of Soak, Ronson and Hardtimes

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

twohats – so it isn’t just me then LOL! I thought it was because my mate knew the old owner so he pulled a favour to get me in when I was once too drunk to really be allowed in (and I assumed she had just remembered me on subsequent visits). She was right on that occasion though – I ended up dropping my pants whilst stood on a table then tried to start mixing on the decks LOL!

grumm
    Free Member

Is the Angel Inn still there? Used to be nice and cheap!

ianv
    Free Member

“Sadly Leeds hayday for nightlife ended years ago with the demise of Soak, Ronson and Hardtimes”

No, leeds nightlife ended with the demise of the orbit!

mrsflash
    Free Member

demise of the T&C surely?? 😉

djglover
    Free Member

So its all crap now, unless you want a faceless trendy bar

domino

The T&C is back now mrsflash, well of sorts. I even went to Brutus Golds Lovetrain there the other Friday. Still as naf as it ever was but I drank lots to compensate.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Brutus Golds Lovetrain

**** hell that takes me back 10 years!!!!

domino

LOL – and me.

ton

angel is still open.
    i went in last saturday dinner for a pint and food.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I was there quite often 10 years ago – in my 70s gear and my dad’s (RIP) authentic 70s leather jacket in tan and brown with the inevitable big collars. I still wear it now for nights out (even when not actually dressed for a 70s night).

🙂

twohats
    Free Member

No, leeds nightlife ended with the demise of the orbit!

Hardly Leeds city centre though… and it was a bit, well, crap…

MartinGT
    Free Member

Hehe, sorted for Saturdays were the best at The T&C, I still have my membership card 🙂

I am born and bread in Leeds and IMO Manchester is miles better nowadays. Its still an ok night, I just think its grown stale on me 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘stag weekend in Leeds- suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.