Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Spec me a… sensibly sized half inch ratchet
  • Northwind

Broke my ancient el cheapo last night, usually I’m a Teng addict but too rich for my money for the standalones… Any good suggestions? probably 10-12 inch, under £20, diy use only so not too intensive… Though I expect it to last years 😉

geoffj
    richmtb

I like my Halfords ratchet, very solid good price for the quality you are getting about £25

If you dont want to spend that kind of money then a Draper or Silverline should be upt to the job for less money

trail_rat
    Free Member

what he said about bahco – now my go to ratchet ,so smooth and instant engagement with no slop makes halfords pro (which i have also) look like a cheap toy.

teng are not all that anyway so wouldnt get hung up on it.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The Halfords Advanced stuff is actually pretty good. OK it isn’t a name you lust for, but it is decent kit, lifetime guarentee, and Halfords periodically have half price sales on their tools.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i believe the halfords advance pro stuff is the stuff the yanks call “gearwrench” and i agree it is good …. how ever the bahco stuff really is another level – esp at similar dosh.

PS lifetime guarantee on the halfords stuff doesnt include moving parts (ie ratchets) how ever halfords do sell replacement ratchet mechs for their wrenches for a few quid

marcus7
    Free Member

Halford yes silverline nooooo ratchets have moving parts made of metal and silverline tend to use cheese as a cheaper alternative…. 😆

fasthaggis

Blue point 1/2″ on the bay for £35
    Nothing like handling a quality tool 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

bluepoint ? you mean laser – that aint nothing more than a laser 0087. factory machines the handle slightly more and writes bluepoint on it but it is the same ratchet as the laser

fasthaggis

that aint nothing more than a laser 0087

I am sure you’re right ,they look identical.

trail_rat
    Free Member

doesnt mean it isnt good mind you , but the bluepoint name adds a bit to the cost.

i think halfords kit represents good value/quality balance when supplied in one of their discount kits.

halfords individual items i think are overpriced…. i paid 5.99 quid for a halfords socket i needed on its own. equally i replaced 2 bahco sockets my mate lost for 2.99 each at gibbs tools of all places(purveyors of expensive RRP only kit)

Northwind

Yeah, Teng is mostly about matching my other sets rather than a sensible decision 😆

Hmm, actually tempting to get one of the Bahco sets, I don’t have any stubby 1/2 inch sockets… Wonder if they’ll fit in the chest

geoffj

Hmm, actually tempting to get one of the Bahco sets, I don’t have any stubby 1/2 inch sockets.

I bought this one about a month ago – http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001OZHS0

£20 more than the ratchet on its own.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have an s240 set – very impressed with it – as pictured above

but for you i guess your looking at the s330 ? its about 35 quid on amazon….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve got some Snap On and Facom ratchets. I almost always prefer the Facom ones. The ratchets even sound like Chris King hubs. You can usually get them on eBay cheaply.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep the french do seem to get overlooked when it comes to tooling, i like their screw drivers , a good sharp non brittle head !

Northwind

S240 is the one I was looking at, aye (S330 is a mixed 3/8ths and 1/4, got that well covered…). Hmm, tempting

trail_rat
    Free Member

wont regret it – also worth nothing that the s240 is face drive with corner relief and not Bihex – i find these work much better on very tight/corroded bolts without rounding corners out 😉 – using my breaker bar of course….

craigxxl
    Free Member

Bahco +1

I have the same kit as Geoff linked to. Very similar to the Teng in feel with the rough satin finish so you can hold the tools firmly with oily hands unlike Halfords Pro tools. Build quality is far superior too.

Northwind

Ah **** it, you never regret buying good tools. Yeah, really not a 12-point fan, I like the theory but the practice seems to be “You can fit them really easily onto damaged bolts, then damage them even more”

richmtb

I bought this one about a month ago – http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001OZHS0

£20 more than the ratchet on its own.

Must not buy any more tools….

Don’t suppose they make a nice torque wrench?

marcus7
    Free Member

Oh BTW i bought a toptul set recently for work and its surprising good for the money, as good as the facom stuff i’ve got.

geoffj

Don’t suppose they make a nice torque wrench?

Googles

Edit: Best not to look 😉

craigxxl
    Free Member

The Halfords Pro torque wrenches are really good. Had mine for years used on bikes, motorbikes and cars. Easy to set and not required adjusting when calibration checked.
    I bought mine after a group test in Autocar which it seems to keep winning.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’ve got a great bahco Stanley knife… It’s got a squeeze retractable handle.

Northwind

It turns out I have £48 worth of topcashback balance if I convert it to amazon vouchers. So Bahco it is!

craigxxl
    Free Member

Result.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Spec me a… sensibly sized half inch ratchet’ is closed to new replies.