Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Southampton Uni parking
  • luke
    Free Member

The wife has an interview for Southampton uni, at the highfield campus, for nursing and it doesn't mention where to park. So where's the best place nearish the uni to park? or is there parking on campus at highfield?

DT78
    Free Member

caveat – it's been a good few years since I parked in that area!

There isn't any pay&display parking just staff parking so I'd suggest she phones up and asks for a visitors permit.

Other alternative is depending on how long her interview is the surrounding residential streets are upto 2 hours I think. If you look on a map the best streets to park are on the east/south side.

Do not park up in any street that is named after a flower (to the north of the uni)

thomthumb
    Free Member

there is on site parking – pay and display is well expensive.

depends what time she is arriving? if its before 9 then it should have spaces – between 9 &3 then probably not.

could try parking in shaftesbury av or bassett wood road and walking up.
    these are the 2 closest places that are free to park (for more than 2 hours)

HTH

Do not park up in any street that is named after a flower (to the north of the uni

+1

thomthumb
    Free Member

was just going to add that the bus from the train stations (central and parkway) run every 15 mins and take about 15 mins to get here – I'd seriosuly consider not driving – parking is awful round here.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Park it round WCAs house and walk the rest?

juan
    Free Member

Too far to walk from WCA… Only someone from south london can say that 😉
    What time is the interview. If you prak down the uni (granby grove, ripstope garden, merton road, hartley avenue etc etc) there is some free parking spaces. But as you can guess they will be used by people so you need an early call. The rest of the streets are limited to 2 hours. You might be able to get some parking in shaftsebury and upper shaftesburry but once again you need an early call. Mind you the lattes is a good place to spend a bit of time 😉

If I was living there I would have offered a parking ticket or my drive but I am a bit far now 😉

Talkemada
    Free Member

I'm not from South London you t1t.

Southampton's not that big though is it? I mean, it wouldn't take too long to walk to most places.

And there are buses. I know there are. I've seen them.

I was only trying to be helpful. I thought the nursing bit might be near the general hospital. Which isn't far from WCAs house.

Del

get a permit and get there a bit early. i was there last month and there weren't a lot of spaces available.

scaredypants

I'm told there's a good bus service from the general hosp to the uni, so WCA's gaff would be a great idea

(may well be good bus services to the uni generally I suppose)

DT78
    Free Member

It would take a little while to walk from WCA's house to the General. 5-10 minutes I would have thought (depending on where bus stop is). The bus would need to go down Winc road which can be quite busy and road works are scheduled to start any day now on the 2 mini roundabouts at Hill lane, allow for another 15-20mins.

Southampton is actually quite big with alot of traffic lights.

You could always park at the Cowherds pub (for free) in the middle of the common and walk up. If it's a nice day it will be quite a nice walk and I think take 15-20mins to the main campus. It's also just off the avenue so you should be able to find it easy enough.

luke
    Free Member

She wasn't expecting to get an interview, and it was rather late notice so she has to be back asap after it finishes. She has to be there for 8.30 friday. It's a bit far for her to walk from wca's house. I think we'll gamble for getting in early and parking on site.

andytherocketeer

Do not park up in any street that is named after a flower (to the north of the uni)

+1 also (speaking as an ex-violet rd resident)

No idea on parking round that way these days. Quick call to the interviewers or admin dept. would give the answer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

andytherocketeer – Member

+1 also (speaking as an ex-violet rd resident)

*High fives fellow ex Viole(n)t Road resident!*

Number 20. You?

noteeth
    Free Member

If you decide not to drive…

Get the train, and get the UIA (A for 'Airport') bus from the railway station to the Highfield Campus interchange. The School of Nursing is right next to the Campus bus stop (and nowhere near Southampton General Hospital). Bus journey from station to uni is about twenty minutes on a good day (but allow for traffic).

luke
    Free Member

Forgot about the bus being an ex institute man myself I never had a need to use it.
    Going to park at the train station and get the bus up.

andytherocketeer

*High fives fellow ex Viole(n)t Road resident!*

Number 20. You?
    *High 5's back.

74 I think (was a long time ago, so might be a couple of houses out)
    2 Years in Monte Halls too (before all the excessive expansion).

hora
    Free Member

Ooooo this threads reminded me of that teaching training school in the Polygon. Whats it called? 😈

mogrim

A year in Glen here, before moving down to the fun-filled St. Marys area.

juan
    Free Member

More to noteeth's post.
    You can go down at the airport parkway and get the U1C.
    Or you can park at the Band Q for free and walk 10 minutes up too.

Pm me if you need more help

Cheerio
    Juan

atlaz
    Free Member

There should be space in some of the residential areas nearby. Be careful on the flowers estate though, can be a bit "lively" if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Another ex-Soton student here. After halls on Wessex lane, decamped to a house in Portswood.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

being an ex institute man

*points*
    *laughs*
    The DIMstitute! The DIMstitute…!

;-0

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Southampton Uni parking’ is closed to new replies.