• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hh45.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • South Downs Way 100 Mile Challenge
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

I have foolishly signed up to do this in July. Has anybody else attempted this and if so have you got any words of wisdom.

Thanks

jon1973
    Free Member

Is this the BHF one? It looks good. have you got sponsorship?

888trojan888
    Free Member

Yes thats the one. I havent got sponsership yet as ive only just signed up but i will be pleading for money from people soon.

rock
    Free Member

Don't stop for too long. It's the rest stops that will kill your time
    Take a little bottle of pepto bismol and some sudocrem
    Don't do it in the wet
    And rememeber: It's not hard, it's just hard work.

thwang-01
    Free Member

did it a few years back great ride if i rememder the water points were not very good to find.
    thwang

888trojan888
    Free Member

The sudocream is a good idea otherwise i may end up walking like ive just been buggered by a rhino. Was the upset stomach from gels?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I did it in a non-competitive way last weekend with a bivi stop in the middle. An excellent ride it was too, the scenery was beautiful – not that you'll have time to look at that.

Good advice from rock above, I wouldn't want to do in the wet.

The-Beard

It's all in the head – just refuse to give up no matter how p*ssed off you get!

And if it rains and you still do it have someone waiting at Devil's Dyke with a dry set of clothes.

Pack spare brake pads!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

some inspiration for you

888trojan888
    Free Member

Nice photos – i just hope that i have nice day like that

Binster
    Free Member

I did it about 10 years ago with a couple of mates, not part of any organised event. It was fantastic, a bit of everything to keep you interested. We didn't do any specific training for it, all in the head; enjoy it!

goonie
    Free Member

888trojan888 is that you Ross??

Tiger6791

Well I'm doing it aswell in July.

It's a long way with long ups and downs and very little flat.

It's quite hard 🙂

Ewan
    Free Member

Did it last year – quite hard. It's also possible to get lost, so keep your wits about you. Also leave something in the tank as the last few hills are the biggest.

PS. Just noticed. I'm on the BHFs website! Fame at last… (http://www.bhf.org.uk/get_involved/take_part_in_our_events/event_finder/view_event.aspx?ps=1000666 – top photo)

Edit: I'm also on the Isle of wight 100 event, despite it never having happened before (riding down the stairs)

timnwild

Just trying to make up my mind whether to do the 65 or the 100 myself. Did the 65 miler last year and loved it, but was pretty done in by the end. Did most of the other 35 miles last weekend for fun (i live in SHoreham so right on the route) and it doesn't get any easier towards the end.

I'd take plenty of food (hardly anywhere right on the route to get food), set off as early as possible (full 100 miles is at least 12 hours riding and you want daylight) and your biggest hydration pack, as the water points are few and far between.

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

Signed up myself for the end of july BHF 100 miler. Trying to get as may extra miles in as possible which is no easy with kids etc…

rock
    Free Member

In reply to the OP, think my stomach ache was mainly due to gels and clif bars being shaken around for 8 hours. To be honest, that and the back ache were the toughest bits. I did it the year before without sudocrem and well padded shorts and sorely regretted it. The most mentally tough bit is between the 40-70 mile mark, which seems to go on forever. Once you get to Southease (around 70 miles) you know you're on the home stretch (apart from the three MASSIVE remaining hills)

A 3litre camelbak will be plenty. It's 20 miles to the first water stop, then they're about 15 miles apart.

Hornet600
    Free Member

Nothing technical, but the hills are big and downs are fast, leaving you feeling that of the 12 hours on the bike, 10 hours were spent climbing!!
    Top ride though and for a good cause, can't be bad!

Richard85
    Free Member

I've signed up for the July 65 mile. Is the route marked or do I need to get hold of an OS map ?

hh45
    Free Member

Done it 2x with BHF – worst thing was staying in Winchestter YH that is all wood and people going for slash all night and then some weirdos started getting up at about 4.40 so not much sleep. I stayed elsewhere the second time and left at 7 feeling much more relaxed.

I would learn where water taps are and only carry 1.5-2 litres of water to reduce weight. carry plenty of food and doses of energy powder though as hard to find supplies en route. You are looking at 9-12 hours of riding so you need ALOT of food.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way 100 Mile Challenge’ is closed to new replies.