Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sonos – Multi room sound, anyone got one?
  • gizzardman
    Free Member

Been looking at this solution to be put into an immeninent house move. Reviews seem to be really positive but i'd like some real world thoughts if i'm going to part with the dollar.

http://www.sonos.com/Default.aspx?rdr=true&LangType=1033

ojom
    Free Member

What would you like to know? I installed quite a fair few in a previous life.

They are very good for the bunts although depending on your requirements, a Mac/PC with Airport Expresses works very well too….

gizzardman
    Free Member

Just how reliable they are, how they sound etc. Does the Airport Express work in the same way?

ojom
    Free Member

Well the advantage with the Sonos is the handheld controller… its really nice. The Zone player with the amp in is something apple can't match.

Are you looking to use them as wee hifi's in each room or connect to existing kit?

Very reliable on the whole. The range of the units is fair – if you live in a traditional built house i.e. bricks you may suffer a touch. You need to just try and see what happens.
    Sound is good so long as you keep your music in a good bit rate on the HDD. It will not suffer poor kb rates very well – gets tinny etc.

gizzardman
    Free Member

Can you listen to different music in different rooms with the Airport Express? Just been looking and it doesn't mention that it's possible, definately a lot cheaper though.

ojom
    Free Member

I beleive you can't. That is one thing the Sonos wins on.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

There's an app which allows you to control iTunes from your iPhone or iPod touch.

ojom
    Free Member

jockhaggis is correct – from experience its prone to dropping out just when you need to turn the vol down!

gizzardman
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. chaps, reckon i'll go for the Sonos.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I've used a Sonos for a while and found the Mk1 remote very 'laggy' in use. I'd heard great things about it but wasn't actually very disappointed when i finally got to use it. The touch wheel also seemed very flaky.

You should look at Logitech Squeezeboxes. You can achieve the same as Sonos for less money and get a far more flexible system as well (not least that you can continue to use whatever HiFi kit you've already got rather than using Sonos integrated amplifiers). I've had Squeezeboxes at home for years and the software and hardware has got steadily better. The new Squeezbox 'Touch' looks very cool – full colour touchscreen player that will display album art.

Personally I'd avoid the Squeezebox 'controller' and buy an iPod touch and download the iPeng contoller app (cheaper as well). You can then combine it with either Squeezebox receivers or Touches in each room depending on whether you want a display. You can play music synced across different rooms or different music in each room.

We've also have an iMac (that acts as the server for the Squeezeboxes) that i use with my iPhone as an iTunes remote and it works really well but the lack of 'on the fly' playlists on the mac is really limiting – Squeezebox has the option 'add to end of playlist', 'add to playlist to play next' as well as 'clear current playlist and play this song'.

antigee

the squeezebox duet looks good with its remote

as far as i can see you can't use with spotify?

main reason for looking at this thread is because my old wireless speakers have packed in and was just using these with transmitter on audio output so no limit to what could play but i'd much rather output to my regular amp/speakers

apologies for hijack
    PS i've a couple of mates that love the airport

ojom
    Free Member

Sonos do a line level zone player and an integrated amplifier version too.

You can add to existing systems like the logitech you mention.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

You pays your money, takes your choice. The Sonos and Squeezebox both have their advocates but the Sonos looks expensive to me for what it is – a ZP90 to connect to your own amp is c£280. The equivalent Squeezbox (the receiver) is £110. For £280 you could get the new Squeezebox Touch which has a colour touchscreen. In rooms where you don't want an amplifer there are very fine active speakers available now to add to a SB Touch (where you would use an amplified Zoneplayer.

I think both the Sonos and SB controllers are overpriced but the older Sonos controller is still about £80 more than the Squeezebox controller. As i said, personally I'd go for an iPod touch over either of them for sub £150 (plus it does many other things as well).

Look at both – have a look at the sites (and their forums).

ojom
    Free Member

but you can use the non amplified zone player with active speakers too as well as an amp. or am i misunderstanding you?

granted it doesnt have a nice wee screen but at the expense of a touchscreen remote which for many multi room applications is found the be the preferred control option. the sonos isn't cheap granted but you are paying for the control. in all multi room systems thats where the money is.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sonos – Multi room sound, anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.