Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Something to gauge performance (race)
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Oldgit: Why do you feel you shouldn’t go hard from the start? Ever tried it?

Negative thoughts. Weather, tyres, clothing blah blah blah. Then I think actually I’m doing okay and start giving it some.
    Adjusting my turbo training to improve my from the gun pace.

GregMay
    Free Member

I used to coach a lad who had it in his head he could never go hard from the off in XC races. We designed a few sessions that had him warm ups as normal, then stand around just chilling (litterally getting cold ish) as you do at the start of a race. He then had to go flat out from the start up a 10min climb, into a tech descent and then some fireroad -all about 20 mins.

After a few times doing these come race day he found it was easier than the training. Got a massive mental boost then started attacking from the off, no one knew what was going on as he was renouned for being a sitter. Resulted in some nice medals at the end of the season, so win!

Maybe just try to step outside what you do normally, change it, if it sucks, its probably what you need to be doing. We do like to stay at rest until an external body acts uppon us. Good old Newton.

Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Something to gauge performance (race)’ is closed to new replies.