following on from this thread
first of all a massive thanks to smudger666 for his offline help, edukator for his posts and especially globalti for directing me towards Peter at http://www.solarproject.co.uk/
A local specifier quoted for installing an 80 x 58mm tube system that was MCS certified (i.e. eligable for RHI payments) and came out at a number around £7,000. By my financial calcs, even with the gov RHI payments, Id not see payback for the best part of 17 or 18 years at that kind of capital cost.
Following globalti's lead I got in touch with Peter at solar project and with some help from him and other sources have designed and acquired the parts to install a 60 x 58mm tube set up (that can be easily extended at £460 per 20 tubes) for just under £2,000. Even without the RHI payments I reckon my payback is going to be closer to 5-7yrs. It also reduces the amount of wood pellet fuel I need to lug about over the summer months.
The system is to augment this biomass boiler set up. Both the boiler and the Solar panels connect to this 700L thermal store where the energy is stored for use.
Over the last few days and the next few Im in the process of installing the system myself. If you're interested, I'll be posting pics and notes on the install in here when I come in for coffee breaks.
This is where the panels are going. On the ground in a special bed in the garden. I dont like water services in roof space. Being on the ground means I can clean, repair and service the panels more easily. The gravel bed can be sprayed for weed control.
the ducting you see there comes up back in the boiler room:
first problem was that the DN20mm insulated steel pipe would not pull through the 50mm conduit. My fault, I thought there'd be more clearance and since its been over 9 months since I laid the conduit its probable that the run isnt un-obstructed by compression of the conduit along its full length. So a lot of cursing, swearing and thinking later...
...I cut a new shallow trench in the veg garden gravel and across my nice new lawn within which to lay some more 50mm conduit, but this time through which Id already pulled the hose whilst above ground and dead straight. Of course, this also meant breaking into the boiler room wall again. Fortunately I still had a spare "Insuduct" lying around that was about to go on eBay. This makes for a nice breakthrough.
2x 17m runs of DN20 soalr hose:
Finished installing the conduit yesterday so could then crack on with the first frame/manifold assembly so that I could get the copper flow/return tails in the right spot. Just about to go back out and assemble the next two panels before getting on with the copper work in the boiler room.
Any questions Ill answer when I get back in in a few hours time. But take some time to have a look over Peter's site for more info.