Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • So it's Daves last day at the office
  • Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

oh yeah, labour would have done a lot better <lol>

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

the pissy faced SNP woman showed that class can’t be taken for granted.

that was a brilliant example on how to misjudge an occassion – bless her

kimbers

pissy faced SNP woman showed that class can’t be taken for granted.

And calling someone pissy faced is classy??

Rockape63
    Free Member

Whatever people think of him, (and Ive never been a fan) he took on the job when we were in a shit state and made very difficult decisions in a bid to extract us from that state. Decisions that were never going to be popular with anyone, purely because we had run out of money. The country (pre brexit) is in a better state as a result.

Compare that to Blair and Brown who managed to screw the economy from such a great position.

Rockape63
    Free Member

And calling someone pissy faced is classy??

This aint the House of Commons…..in case you hadn’t noticed! 🙄

mefty
    Free Member

Corbyn did quite well I thought – some good jokes, nice line in self deprecation and quite effective using May’s speech – SNP – dour and pompous – in McNeill they have the heir to Tapsell.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

PMQ is quite amusing

It was good today.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Whatever people think of him, (and Ive never been a fan) he took on the job when we were in a shit state and made very difficult decisions in a bid to extract us from that state. Decisions that were never going to be popular with anyone, purely because we had run out of money. The country (pre brexit) is in a better state as a result.

I don’t envy May at this moment in time either…

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Agreed, given the circumstances he did pretty well. Can’t see anyone else who’d do better. Some how I think for some of the STW experts nothing would be good enough.

slowoldman

Just spotted this article on the BBC website
    “What’s in Teresa May’s in tray?”
    I reckon a gift wrapped turd with a card saying “Love, Boris”.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Blimey, reading this thread I’m forced to wonder exactly what a PM needs to do in order to be judged as a disaster.

There’s hope for Neville Chamberlain yet.

dragon
    Free Member

In real terms thankfully the UK has never had a truly disastrous PM, although Blair’s adventure in Iraq puts him borderline IMO. If you want to see disastrous then look around the world and back in history there are plenty of choices to pick from left, right, commie, totalitarian you name it, e.g. look at the horrific mess that Venezuela is in right now.

End of the day it is hard for a PM to make a big positive difference, but in the wrong hands it is easy for them to make a big negative difference.

kimbers

The country (pre brexit) is in a better state as a result.

worth noting that homeless people are excluded from the poverty measures

irelanst
    Free Member

Not sure he could do a great deal about the elective surgery in New South Wales to be honest.

kimbers

😳

from kings fund,

PJM1974
    Free Member

In real terms thankfully the UK has never had a truly disastrous PM

😯

You could probably rightfully accuse me of being a tad biased, but I don’t think it’s wrong to set the highest standards for those in the highest office, but several 20th/21st century PMs stand out for being disastrous as I’d define it:

Tony Blair is in part responsible for a (conservatively) estimated 150,000 dead in the middle east, committing soldiers to a conflict knowing that the likely result would be an deterioration of security at home. The Chilcott Report makes for sobering reading. I’d say that was pretty lacklustre.

Cameron has failed to deal with the Eurosceptics in his party and as such it’s likely that we’re about to leave the trading bloc upon which our economy is hugely reliant upon. If we don’t leave the EEA, we’ve lost our voice in the EU Parliament, but the bills won’t be falling any time soon. There’s a good chance of a second Scottish Referendum, so he’ll have hamstrung the economy and knackered the Union too. Not bad for someone trying to quell a party feud. It’s a bit like blowing up the bar you and your mates are in to resolve an argument over who’s buying the next round.

Then there’s the failure to provide adequate housing, the UN report condemning how the UK treats disabled people, the food banks, the blind eye toward money laundering…as PM he was ultimately responsible.

Quite a few people would tell you that Thatcher was a disaster too.

Chamberlain failed to stand up to Hitler in the late 1930s, which in hindsight wasn’t the best move for twenty million people.

But other than those minor misdemeanours, Blair helped bring peace to Northern Ireland and the Balkans, Cameron gave us same sex marriages, Thatcher gave us…erm…gave us…I’ll have to get back to you on that. Chamberlain gave us a piece of paper with a Fascist dictator’s autograph on it.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

not sure Blair gave us peace in NI – much of the ground work and the big political risk taking move to talk to the IRA was done by John Major. Even Blair said as much.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Surely all those graphs indicate why so many people voted out, on the basis our country can’t cope with any more immigrants?

PJM1974
    Free Member

not sure Blair gave us peace in NI – much of the ground work and the big political risk taking move to talk to the IRA was done by John Major. Even Blair said as much.

I was being generous.

Surely all those graphs indicate why so many people voted out, on the basis our country can’t cope with any more immigrants?

Forgive me being dense, but this is irony, right?

kimbers

Rockape63 – Member
    Surely all those graphs indicate why so many people voted out, , on the basis our country can’t cope with any more immigrants?

Only the really ignorant/stupid/gullible or xenophobic ones who don’t realise that immigrants make up a disproportionately large part of the NHS workforce
    And as well as being net contributors to the economy are less likely to use the NHS and claim benefits than our own ageing population

RobHilton
    Free Member

Forgive me being dense, but this is irony, right?

‘kin hope so – my tickle button thought it was funny 😆

PJM1974
    Free Member

‘kin hope so – my tickle button thought it was funny

I’m sure it was meant in jest too, sadly the news of late has resulted in complete sense of humour failure for me so I double take everything I read.

As you were, people.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Statistics, lies, etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Highlights

Hugely courageous and pro democracy, Referendums on the basis for elections, Independence for Scotland and of course the EU. The bravery and foresight to do this is extra-ordinary.

2.5 million new jobs, 1000 for every day he was PM
    Substantially reduced deficit
    Same sex marriage
    First Conservative Majority Government in 18 years
    Laying the ground for Theresa May and what could well prove to be watershed moment for women in Government, as May said Cameron was a very modern PM

Outstanding at PMQ’s today and an excellent speech outside #10

The way he conducted the Referendum campaign he had to go win or lose IMHO.

bearnecessities

God knows what thread to post this in, and there’s actually very little point other than to just get it off my chest, but I reckon we’ll miss ‘CMD’. All the clever-arsed damning on here and the generally media, of what I honestly believe to be a decent bloke, a moral bloke, and a not-too-shabby PM, will soon come back to bite us when we realise what the alternatives are, and will/have done for this country.

I’m not political. I’m not a ‘Conservative’ and ironically enough, I’m a Civil Servant, but I suspect this time next year, I’m going to miss Dave.

robdixon
    Free Member

having watched the Labour MP on the brink of tears in an interview on C4 news as she described death threats, stalking, intimidation and thousands of abusive emails that her / her colleagues have received from “Momentum” supporters it makes me think today’s “nasty party” is the one in opposition.

PS: those cancer wait times above don’t tell the whole story – there’s been significant increases in cancer funding and a step change in the number of people being referred for diagnostics. This has had the dual result of more people requiring treatment and the need to treat those first who have the most aggressive cancers i.e. more people referred, more people diagnosed, some people with less aggressive cancers waiting longer but those with the most aggressive cancers continuing to be treated first.

igm

Specific achievements will fade.

When being summed up in one line he’ll be remembered as a weak PM wasn’t willing to do the right thing for the country preferring instead to do a deal to cement his personal ambitions which unfortunately fell apart on him.

Mind you, similar things could be said about a few PMs

scaredypants

Referendums … The bravery and foresight to do this is extra-ordinary

I think you should ask him about the hindsight 😕

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘So it's Daves last day at the office’ is closed to new replies.