Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Skiing/snowboarding late march
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

I know snow drifts are in predictable, however where are generally good places to go in the last week of march (26th onwards)

It doesn’t have to be the alps either

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Banff, Alberta is usually safe til’ very late April.

rs
    Free Member

I hear Hillend Ski Resort is good around March or maybe Whistler 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

the alps will be heaving with snow in late march.

the weather will have warmed up a bit, warm air moving over oceans absorbs water, clouds form, wind moves the clouds towards mountains, mountains force the clouds to ris (and so cool), snow falls.

usually more snow in March than January – the air can be too cold to hold enough moisture.

Even Scotland / Lake district will have avalanche alerts due to the amount of snow that falls in ‘spring’.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Winter Park, Colorado awesome resort.

Highland28
    Free Member

Cairngorm hopefully, but for guaranteed snow the alps will be saweet!!, We are planning on hitting Val d’isere and Tignes for our Easter hols, can’t wit, went too years ago and is perfect for everything, with some good off-piste if you get a dump of snow during the week, which is quite a high possibility even in april time. But should be goin to cairngorm through out the season for some nice scottish skiin too.

nbt

My ski season this year was 29th april – 2nd may @ cairngorm. I’ve skiied in late aprila few times in the alps. ALmost everywhere will still have reasonable cover in late march

More generally the problem is that not many people realise just how good the later season snow can be, so the crowds dwindle and it’s not economically viable to open the resorts. shame.

nickjb
    Free Member

A Basin, Colorado. They try to ski right up to the 4th of July. I went in April and we had lovely fresh powder. Should be pretty good all round Breckenridge. High in the Alps and you’ll have a good chance for less money.

ianpinder
    Free Member

The alps it is then!

Any suggestions where? Not to expensive but obviously the quality of the skiing takes priority. Going to be myself who is ok at boarding and a total newbie.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

If it has to be the Alps then Tignes !!! Concrete and bland buildings but great runs for a boarder to ride. High so should be ok for good snow.

nbt

Tignes is not the place to take a total newbie. It’s very expensive. Look for the less well known resorts like those in the Maurienne Valley – look at Rocketski for some good deals. Folgarida is worth checking out too. Food tends to be far better in Italian resorts

stumpynya12
    Free Member

OFFS !!! here we go again. The OP asked for an honest opinion and snow sure late march/april. Trust a @ucking skier to be a expert in snow board terrain advice and the food is so important, my arse. You are there to ride not get fat !!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The OP asked for an honest opinion and snow sure late march/april. Trust a @ucking skier to be a expert in snow board terrain advice and the food is so important, my arse.

Trust a @ucking ghey on a trey to not read the OP’s post…..

Skiing/snowboarding late march

Read the question, answer the question. Did you not learn that at school? Or were you too cool and off pulling da rad skillz tricks on your wickidphatt board innit?

😉

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Rather be pullin da rad tricks un bein ghey ont tray dan a prick with sticks…. cool as @uck innit speed boys 😉

CF your are as ever a gentleman, sir I salute your humour .

Helmet debate anyone 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😉 It’s all fun on the snow, but you know skiing is just cooler!

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Yer yer I know, good snow is good snow and boarding or skiing we are all out to have some fun……….. but you will never look cool on them planks now will you 8)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

HA ha loving this raging debate!! Sorry but boarders always look COOLER … end of this debate please move on, nothing to say or see. 😆

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Go on you know you want to post a new heading ” Why are boarders way cooler than skiers”. It just has to be done on a wet tuesday night 😉

mactheknife

Boarders, haha they are just the guys/girls without the skills to telemark. And that there is a factoid.

And yes i have been there, done it and lost the tee shirt cos it was shite 😀

stumpynya12
    Free Member

No sir you were shite at boarding (by your own addmission) or you would not have quit and would still have the tee shirt of coolness 8)
    This can only stop now or get way way better…..

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh my Telemarking now WHAT is the point in that! FACT: I can only board as I have a torn ACL .. but it’s still cooler, we wear cooler clothes. I mean have you EVER seen a boarder in a Euro fluro all in one?

On another note, who has been with rocket ski? Never heard of them and just having a look now. are they good? Do you still get cake in the afternoon. I won’t go back to Serre Chevalier but what others would you recommend for an intermediate and advanced boarder? we are looking to go the last week in January. Thanks guys.

beamers

Well, I’m banking on Zermatt being pretty good in the 3rd week of Mar next year.

I’d have to second the advice above about Banff, Sunshine Village in particular. Was lucky enough to spend 2 seasons in Canada and the snow was awesome all the way into April.

nbt

Going to be myself who is ok at boarding and a total newbie.

That’s the bit I was replying to. What’s the sense in spending over £200 on a week’s lift pass for a total newbie? 🙄 read, think, post. I love the espace killy, but I wouldn’t recommend it as a place to learn

and this bit

and the food is so important, my arse. You are there to ride not get fat !!!

Not for you, maybe but it is for some people, and beginners need more time to recover – like having a nice meal or a hot chocolate. Or did you have teh skillz immediately and not spend the first few weeks / days pushing yourself back up off the snow and rubbing sore bits, like me when I was learning to board ? 👿 🙄

anyway, moving on

On another note, who has been with rocket ski? Never heard of them and just having a look now.

I’ve been with Equity a few times who are the “all-in-one price” branch of rocket ski, they’re ok. No hassle, basic accomodation and food but hey, you’re there to ski (or board before the boarders get all antsy). Can’t recall offhand whether they did afternoon cake sorry

We did montgenevre with Equity, that’s worth looking at – plenty of skiing in montgenevre itself, and the option of going to Sestriere and Sauze d’Oulx along the Milky way

ianpinder
    Free Member

Well, we shall have to see how funds are, I’d like to go to canada, but i think i’ll probably be subsidising my friends trip.
    I think i’ll board, i’ve done a week already, and whilst i was still shit I was better then the skiers who only went for a week. untill i spend a season out there to master the art of skiing, then i’ll board.

JohnnyPanic

Sorry but boarders always look COOLER

That’s because their clothes don’t fit and they’re always sat in the snow on their @rses. No wonder they look cooler.

deserter
    Free Member

Munqe-chick – Member

I can only board as I have a torn ACL ..

me too, how do you get on with it, does it get aggravated? do you wear a brace?

my insurance treated me to a custom brace when I told them I wanted to learn to board, I’m still trying to learn but will hopefully crack it this year when the snow turns up that is

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Yiphee !!!! just got invited on a group trip in Feb. Five skierists and me as the only boarder 😯 Oh boy am I going to have some fun dusting them with powder. Its all snow sport and heh even I can hang with the stiff brigade for just one week.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Munqe-chick – Member

Oh my Telemarking now WHAT is the point in that!

dunno, it looks like fun? – you can ski uphill with telemark kit, you can even ski downhill with telemark kit and enough skill.

Munqe-chick – Member
    have you EVER seen a boarder in a Euro fluro all in one?

er, yes. lots of times…

(speaking as an ex-snowboard instructor who’s very keen to give ski-touring a go)

nedrapier

free your heel, free your mind!

It’s difficult, but done well looks pretty darned stylee, and there’s less faff if you want to go touring.

nedrapier

awhiles, you’ll find this useful then: http://splitboard.com/talk/

beamers

Sorry but boarders always look COOLER

That’s because their clothes don’t fit and they’re always sat in the snow on their @rses. No wonder they look cooler. [/quote]

I must be a freak then.

I snowboard, my clothes fit and the only time I sit down is to clip my back foot into the bindings when I get off of a lift. (out of the way of skiers getting off of the lift I might add.)

JohnnyPanic

Freak.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Deserter, I have no problems at all, if your hamstrings and quads are strong then you will be okay. I do try to so leg specific weights for a bit before but it is fine

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Skiing/snowboarding late march’ is closed to new replies.