Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Singlespeed chain tension
  • will
    Free Member

Got a annoying problem with my ss now. Whenever I put power down the chain tensioner pulls up and the chain catches, thought the tensioner was dead so fitted a new one and still the same problem. Was thinking a dmr simple tension seeker might sort this? Never used to cause an issue though!

R.lepecha

what model tensioner are you using at the moment? a fixed bolt one or a sprung one?

Tom83

I had a superstar tensioner, which pushes the chain down, but it kept skipping, so i had the chain running over the top of the tensioner instead, with 2 jubilee clips holding it in place and it sorted it.

What tensioner are you using?

will
    Free Member

Was using an on one doofer and now the same spring style cheap one.

R.lepecha

The chain becomes loose and rubs under power?

Doesn’t sound like a tensioner problem as under power the top section of chain takes the force. The tensioner just keeps the bottom row from flapping about.
    If anything the sprung tensioner would be better than a fixed one because as you put power down the fixed tensioner wouldnt take up the slack.

To me it sounds like a frame flex/chainline issue. Check the BB and axle area for a crack?

rob2
    Free Member

Is the chain retention Device thing ok? I had it rotating round and catching the chain causing it to Catch. Don’t know if this is your issue

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Photo of tensioner side on and also down the chainline would help diagnosis

tazzymtb

it’s a good job that singlespeeding is so simple to set up and so maintenance free isn’t it?

will
    Free Member

R.leprcha thanks for that, it did occur to me about the chain tension on the bottom! I’ll give it a clean, inspect for cracks (carbon frame) and then post a picture.

R.lepecha

Let me know if you find anything.
    Did single speed work fine on this frame before?

will
    Free Member

Think I’ve got to the bottom! The chain I put on wasn’t right, so swapped to another chain and all seems ok… Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed chain tension’ is closed to new replies.