Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Show me your hub geared bikes
  • shinsplints

Just ordered a Duster 8. Show me yours or any other hub geared wonders. Ta!

Coleman
    Free Member

Good old Sturmey Archer 3 speed!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Ti29 Alfine

P7 Rohloff

Nicolai Argon Rohloff

Nicolai Helius Rohloff

Woody
    Free Member

Wow Bigdug – very nice indeed :mrgreen:

saleem
    Free Member

I like the pretty yellow one 😆

Inzane
    Free Member

got a thing for geared hubs there bigdug??

I am looking forward to the new 11 speed alfine, and will mount one on my TransAM!! I am even thinking one would be good on my 5 Spot!

Santa Cruz Chameleon

Santa Cruz Blur

Santa Cruz Blur

Gary Fisher Rig 29

Robin Mather 29

Lynskey 29

All Rohloff.

Inzane
    Free Member

?? So it looks like it has to be all or nothing. You must own at least 5 bikes and have all of them set up with IGH's!!

singlespeedstu

Millitant.

Is that yellow Mather Mat's old frame?

Alfine Monkey. Now a singlespeed again.

Rohloff custom Black Sheep. Now a singlespeed.

Having tried to like hubgears for quite i while i've now given up on the idea.

prozac
    Free Member

"Having tried to like hubgears for quite i while i've now given up on the idea. "

Why?
    I have a Singular Swift rigid SS and a Scandal 29er hardtail SS …. was thinking of buying a Alfine 11 for the Scandal.

yossarian
    Free Member

swift plus alfine

singlespeedstu

The Rohloff was a bit to draggy for my liking. Oh and i had to send it back to Rohloff three times to get the main bearings changed.

The Alfine just seems a bit clunky/not instant enough and weighs to much for it's gear range.

All IMHO of course.

ex-pat
    Free Member

And of course HubgearStu just doesn't sound great as a user ID…

singlespeedstu

😆

warpcow
    Free Member

I've had quite a few commuters/city-bikes with hub gears (Sturmeys, Sachs, SRAM, Shimano Nexus (current) and Alfine) through the years but it's not something I'd ever consider for mountain biking. Mostly for the reasons Stu gave; I especially don't like the added weight on the rear.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

This was mine with a Nexus redband hub that I robbed from a cheap commuter. It was great in the peaks mud, totally smooth shifting and easily adjusted but it weighed a ton so I swapped it for a 1×9 setup.

I think its going on the back of my cargo bike as its next incarnation. Hub brake and all.

Saccades
    Free Member

456EBB prototype – Just had the forks serviced by Fork English (well recommended btw) apart from that it's been pretty much untouched since Noz 2008.

Don't have a photo of the Pompino yet, but it looks good.

tonyg2003

Hi

My Alfine sliding dropout Inbred. Used for winter duties

http://www.muddymoles.org.uk/2008/12/alfine_review.html
    http://www.muddymoles.org.uk/2009/02/ride_0202_2009.html

Currently in the garage waiting for some mud 😆

epicyclo

Belt drive Pompino with S-A 3 speed. Totally silent.

slugwash
    Free Member

Nexus 8 speed hub with derailleur acting as chain tensioner…..

ruminant
    Free Member

how did you get the belt through the pompino?

molgrips
    Free Member

Not mine, but I love this:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

Belt drive, hub gears, frame coloured mudguards, drum brakes, and a custom-made coffee cup for a water bottle. Fantastic!

tonyg2003

ruminant – it looks like the rhs dropout has been cut and bolted up again? Small extra black plate is the give away.

I wonder how you know which lenght belt to order? I seem to remember that the chainrings are super expensive too for belt drives? Epicyclo – how much did the set up cost?

epicyclo

ruminant – Member
    how did you get the belt through the pompino?

Cut the frame at the dropout and made up a flange to reconnect it. Has worked perfectly for 18 months so far.

Has anyone put any mileage on one of those Treks? I'm interested to know how they go – I suspect the integrity of their frame joint. It looks to me like a part that will eventually start fretting because of its design. They are handsome bikes otherwise.

damitamit
    Free Member

epicyclo

tonyg2003 – Member
    …I wonder how you know which lenght belt to order? I seem to remember that the chainrings are super expensive too for belt drives? Epicyclo – how much did the set up cost?

There's now a calculator on the Gates website (I had to do it the old fashioned way). I can't remember the exact cost but it was around £200. The price compares with buying premium chain drive parts, eg Dura-Ace. Worth it for silence 🙂

Stu, yes I bought the frame and matching stem off Matt.

tootallpaul

Anyone doing a hub gear and belt drive frame for 140-150mm forks yet?

Or a bike?

Quite fancy something like that when I get back to the UK!

P

singlespeedstu

Stu, yes I bought the frame and matching stem off Matt.

I thought it looked familiar. That none driveside dropout is rather destinctive.

BigGraham
    Free Member

Apologies for crappy phone pic

Genesis Alptitude with Alfine 8 but the 11 will get plugged in just as soon as I can get my grubby little hands on it!

psychle
    Free Member

Frankenbike…

will
    Free Member

yossarian – That is stunning! What tyres are they?

IainAhh
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the newer hub gears are better that the nexus ones?

I have a mtb converted to three speed nexus hub. Used on not very rough dirt tracks and on the road.
    It's a year old approx and used all year round 3-4 times a week for commuting.
    Still works but creaking a bit and the third gear slips now and again.

Anyone had these fail?

It doesn't put me off I would get another ……

BigGraham
    Free Member

Dunno about nexus but my alfine was s/h (think its a couple of years old) when I got it and I've had it since x-mass ish and abused it with zero maintainance and its still fine 🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

yossarian – That is stunning! What tyres are they?

8)

they are halo twin rail 2.2s. You get, ahem, 'predictable drift' on every corner.

epicyclo

ainAhh – Member
    Does anyone know if the newer hub gears are better that the nexus ones?

The S-A S3X fixed 3 speed is supposed very robust. You can use a screw on freewheel with it. (I have one and intend to try this)

LordOnOne
    Free Member

This was my Giant Trance with Alfine before I sold it. I’ve heard the 11spd Alfine has been delayed until October due to technical issues but I haven’t verified that and it's only a month. It’ll go straight on my KHS whenever it shows.

thepodge
    Free Member

interesting to see a few full suss bikes with them. i'm very tempted to put one on my trance when the current gears give up.

convert

Here's my latest bike.

I bought the Niner Sir9 frame off someone from here very tatty and used it to teach myself how to spray 2 pack paint. Cured it fast in a pottery kiln as it was a rush job and rode it around set2rise less than 24hrs after applying the first coat. Given it a few tweaks since and I'm loving it. It was meant to be a mud bike to keep my 5spot sweet but its plenty enough bike for where I live (South Downs) so I treated it to some fast Aspen rubber for the summer & the Turner is not getting a look in. I can't say I notice the weight of the hub once riding although a change in gear shift style (easing off) took a bit of getting used to. It is going to get the new Alfine hub when it comes out & this one will get built into a bike for my wife.

packer
    Free Member

LordOnOne – where did you hear about the Alfine 11-speed being delayed?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Show me your hub geared bikes’ is closed to new replies.