Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shoes and Kit
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

Am going on a XC week in the Cairngorms soon.
    Want to get some decent kit, have ordered a Satmap
    Giro Athlon helmet (which im slightly dissapointed in)
    any advice on best Shoes for flat pedals? I Don’t like 5:10’s though! I dont want big clunky ones 🙂
    Any jersey recommendations?
    Ronhill shorts any good?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FiveTen Freeriders are the shoe. Not clunky, much grippy!

sambob
    Free Member

Shimano AM40 or AM41 shoes are superb, almost as grippy as 5:10s but last far longer and dry quicker.

vegasdave
    Free Member

I take it that you’ve bought a helmet online????

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Online helmet purchaser = Helmet

lewismorgan
    Free Member

im considering clips, but on a ganrly steep descent off a mountain at high speeds, are these a good idea?

HermanShake
    Free Member

As it’s XC, cleats would be fine. But it depends on how long before you go. They take a little while to get used to and adapt to the difference.

This is quite a Marmite issue so prepare for a dual response! I hate Marmite but love my eggbeaters.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

are they suitable for descents?

mrmo
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edb9HzHntHQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Its old, but should answer your question.

You can go down a hill using clips or flats, it is all about what you are comfortable using, and remember what goes down has to go up, if your riding up clips help.

gonzy
    Free Member

you could always try a pair of Shimano DX’s. they come in flat or SPD. the SPD versions have a removable cover where the SPD cleats go so can also be used as flats. they are comfy to walk around in but still offer a good degree of stiffness for pedaling duties. the velcro lace cover is also a good touch as it restricts the amount of muck that can get into the shoe and the inside of the shoe has an ankle protector. they arent as grippy as five tens but are great for summer riding.

ona29er
    Free Member

Cairngorms XC – spd’s will be fine – uphill / down etc. Just practice a bit before you go. Make sure that the clips are not too tight. I go down to Cairngorms and have never had any problems using them. Enjoy the Highlands – ace biking up here.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shoes and Kit’ is closed to new replies.