• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimming a headset with a can – What can possibly go wrong?
  • ajf
    Free Member

No seriously, if I shim a headset on my cyclocross bike with a beer can will I die.

Got 1″ headset and the headtube looks like it has been shaved slightly to accomodate a slightly larger 1″ headset. Yes I know 1″ should be 1″ but it seems that everyone lies about size.

Its NOT a 1 1/8th before anyone says. 😀

What other options do I have? WOuld some epoxy glue do the job or am I looking at losing all my front teeth.

jimc101
    Free Member

ISO or JIS headset, measure it, and see if you are trying to fit the wrong type

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Everybody knows that shims can only be bought from shops in really expensive packets.

Anyone who tries to make their own shims out of beverage containers will bust into flames and die.

“Zenn and the art of motorcycle maintenance” covered this years ago.

Please help prevent the needless killing and maiming of our nations bikers by only sourcing your shims from a responsible manufacturer. (Look out for the British Safety Institute Kite mark stamped on each shim to confirm that it has been subjected to testing.)

I can supply approved shims for your own personal use, but they must be fitted by one of my trained technicians. Please e-mail me for details. (Prices start at £450 plus VAT)

ajf
    Free Member

sorry what is the difference? headset doesn’t say which on it is?

Its this one and the frame is an old condor frame so was thinking condor frame and condor headset. Well that should work.

But you are saying I may just have the wrong 1″ headset?

angryratio
    Free Member

Have you measured it exactly?

Northwind

Aye, you need a shim from the personal stock of Baron Alfred Krupp

Waderider
    Free Member

I have successfully shimmed headset cups with cut-to-size aluminium can. Just be sure to get it a good tight fit, so it has no opportunity to loosen.

Zen is an excellent book, must read it again some day.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

DON’T DO IT! No Really!!!! You will die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jimc101
    Free Member

ISO or JISare the headset types, and have different frame cup diameters, you need the correct headset for the frame.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

I’ve done it with an old P7 frame with an ovalised 1″ headtube and a Chris King headset. Did it 10 years ago, used loctite, it’s still going strong today.

Rob
    bigrobracing.co.uk

cynic-al
    Free Member

Should work fine, seen it done many times.

Sandwich

If coke can shims will work on industrial line-shafting, a 1″ tube on a cycle shouldn’t be a problem. (There were some right bodgers in the first mill I worked in!)

ajf
    Free Member

well confirmed that the headset is iso and that it is the right one for the frame.

Guy I spoke to also had similar issue with his frame (same frame material) and used epoxy glue and a shim if still needed sufficed. So I am gonna go with shimming and gluing as that seems like the belt and braces approach to a wobble free headset.

Reckons that columbus zonal tubing is a bit soft and can ovalise slightly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimming a headset with a can – What can possibly go wrong?’ is closed to new replies.