• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by bol.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Sherwood Pines / Centreparcs?
  • bol

I’m off with the family to Centreparcs at Sherwood at the end of the month, and could do with some local riding recommendations. What are the Kitchener trail and skills loop like? Should I try and explore the unmarked singletrack? Should I use the relatively small amount of time I’ll have to myself to go somewhere else?

It looks like Centreparcs is pretty close to the visitor’s centre, but google maps is sending me quite a long way round. Is it possible to cut through?

With much holiday planning thanks.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Easy to cut through from the main entrance at CP just turn left onto the access road. cheeky unmarked trails all over too. single speed is plenty for fun.

Spud

If you’re time limited then a couple of laps of the Kitchener will give you a quick blast. Just follow any unmarked too and you’ll get plenty of riding in.

bol

Cheers guys. Sounds easy then. Are there any hills? I’ve got a horrible feeling I’m leaving Norfolk for somewhere virtually as flat..?

the-muffin-man

I’ve got a horrible feeling I’m leaving Norfolk for somewhere virtually as flat..?

Your feeling is correct!!

Just a few ‘rises’ at Sherwood, nothing that you would call a hill.

Basil

Take all your biking supplies with you. Bike shop at Sherwood not cheap.

MoreCashThanDash

Lots of people will criticise Sherwood Pines on here, but a trail centre can only use the topography and soil that is there.

It’s not a technical rocky rootfest, cos North Notts isn’t Scotland or Wales. It offers a decent waymarked trail through the woods, not too steep, not too techy. It gets more fun the faster you go, there is loads of off piste stuff – just look for tyre tracks going through gaps in the bushes and follow them – and after this dry spell it should be a good way to break up a stay at Centre Parcs.

adey205
    Free Member

have to say as a local i don’t normally ride the kitchener as i’m not a big fan, but, came home with a smile on my face today after a couple of laps. there have been improvements since i last rode it, and i was pleasantly surprised! 😳

antigee

recent visit and similar agenda – think this is correct – head out of center parcs past main barrier and drop down hill – as road bends right and a “thank you” sign there is a very wide dirt track branching left with center park fence on left side, signs say something like no access to vehicles – dull ride 1.5 miles or so along this arrive in sherwood pines at a track junction (map, picnic table, cctv camera) go right and in about 500m red trail crosses track – obvious because of new build – after 5km or so this passes car park/cafe area.

Unless i’ve got it wrong the skills loop is about 30m round just out of car park area and is disappointing, if wnat to play then look out for the “downhill” / jump area at far end of red

hope helps if anyone can do a map so much the better

bol

Cheers chaps. I’m happy with plenty of fast singletrack. Best not to break myself while away with the kids anyway!

keefus
    Free Member

Last time I was at CentreParcs there was an organised mountain bike ride that went to Sherwood Pines….I was lucky in as much as I was the only one that went on it so the leader took me on some ace( and possibly cheeky ) trails. Mate of mine goes there all the time and rates it highly. Have fun!

anotherstan
    Free Member

@ keefus – was the ride organised by center parcs?

keefus
    Free Member

Yes it was

k

almightydutch
    Free Member

We’re off there on 6th June for the week. Was wondering wether to take my bike or not but sounds like Sherwood is worth a little exploring.

keefus
    Free Member

Its probably worth mentioning that I took my own bike…not sure the CentreParcs bikes were up to much. (but it was a good few years ago so things may have improved…or not as the case may be) give em a bell to see what make of bikes they have, you never know you could end up with a top end emmelle! 😀

will
    Free Member

If your there it is deffinatly worth going. As others have said some great off piste tracks!

thefallguy
    Free Member

There is an unnoficial map at available to download here: http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/other/PinesTrails.pdf
    Although the Kitchener trail has evolved since this map was drawn and there are some new sections that aren’t shown, and some of the features have changed or been removed, center parcs is on the right of the map.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Well its a case of taking my Blur LT2 or hiring one and i dont fancy the BSO’s they tend to have there. That map looks pretty good to be fair, we’re right near the trails by the look of it as we’ve got some fancy 4 bedroom shack thats up in the top left of the CP complex

anotherstan
    Free Member

@ keefus. i thought you meant recently, i’ve been twice a year for the last 3 years and thought i’d been missing out on ‘in the know’ guided rides.
    although you can hook up with sherwood pines mtb club for guided rides. think they used to do a fri night ride??? iirc?

almighty dutch, def take your own bike. can’t see it being much fun round sherwood on a mongoose rock-a-dile hired from cp.
    keep it inside the lodge though!

almightydutch
    Free Member

Yeah me and a mate have both got Santa Cruz’s and we’ll be taking it inside the lodge and using two Almax chains to make sure the theiving scrotes dont get their fingers on em

adey205
    Free Member

although you can hook up with sherwood pines mtb club for guided rides. think they used to do a fri night ride??? iirc?

they still do a regular ride wed and fri, go out of park too. good fun as well.
    check out the club website–http://www.sherwoodpinescyclingclub.co.uk/index.php

bol

Thanks Adey. I’ll take a look at that.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Sherwood Pines / Centreparcs?’ is closed to new replies.