Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Shaving with a safety razor
  • oddjob
    Free Member

Sorry if this is a bit too metrosexual…

After a few posts on here before Christmas about getting away from using over priced gilette razors, I managed to score a Merkur saftey razor for Christmas.
    The first shave was a bit of a mess with a bit of scraping and the odd nick, but nothing serious. I am now getting better at not slicing big chunks off (most days) but keep micking myself and don't seem to be able to get much of a decent shave.
    If researched a bit online and follow various tips like shaving once with the grain and then once or twice accross it, but I still seem to end up with the odd cut and not that well shaved.
    What's the secret?

bensales
    Free Member

No pressure, multiple passes with, across, and against the grain, decent soap is the gist of it.

Loads on info on badgerandblade.com and Mantic's YouTube videos are excellent.

bananaworld
    Free Member

What's the secret?

Grow a beard.

joolsburger
    Free Member

http://www.trumpers.com/shaving_tips.cfm

Heat and water.

Shave after the shower and use a brush and soap. I use a safety Razor and get a good shave.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Shave after showering and use conditioner on your beard/stubble while in the shower.

Good Blades … Japanese Feather Blades

100% no push pressure

Good Blades

Badger Brush and good quality Soap/Cream

Once you get it sussed you will not go back to "normal" razors

Good Luck!

PJ266
    Free Member

Tried it, got a better shave than Ive ever had but my neck looked like a murder scene. Back to using a mach 3 now simply for convenience. Will try again though!!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Good website for shaving supplies.

I reckon it's a kind of one man band type thing, but in the pre-beard days I used to get my stuff from him. (Musgo cream and Feather blades for me). Try a blade sampler pack, they do differ from brand to brand.

nickc

What's the secret?

That, despite their high price, multiple blade modern razors are better in every way ( well, apart from maybe looks and bragging rights at the gay bar) at actually shaving your face…

headfirst
    Free Member

Another option: I've just got back from stopping by Boots on my way home to get some more razor blades. I was a Mach 3-er but the extortionate prices prompted me to buy a King of Shaves Azor, which, apart from looking pretty sleek, has slightly cheaper blades (8 for £9.50 vs Mach 3: 8 for £11.50 and Fusion: 8 for £15!!!)which KoS claim last longer, and there's 4 blades per blade ❓ so should be smoother if you believe the pseudo-science.

nickc

Headfirst, they're shit, sorry. I had one before Xmas for the same reason as you. rubbish shave I'm afraid, gone back to Mach3 (or whatever the ever-so-slightly gay looking blue and orange coloured ones are called)

headfirst
    Free Member

Bugger, I'd only just opened the packaging too… 😥 …..money-saving exploits backfire again 😳

oddjob
    Free Member

Bragging in the gay bar is the only real reason to do anything IMO 8)

When I get really gay I'm going to use a straight blade 🙂

CountZero

I bought a KoS last year after using cheap disposables for years; the cost of blades being closely related to printer refill cartridges on the extortion scale, and I must say I'm very impressed so far. They give a really clean, smooth shave and the blades seem to last pretty well too. Give it a chance, you can't go too far wrong with it.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I used Sensor excel for years and I find my safety razor is better. I expect it's all a matter of personal taste.

jond
    Free Member

I've used one of my fathers safety razors on and off for years, no idea what it is, recently the thread holding it together gave up so I picked up a (60's ?) adjustable Gillette off fleabay. Kinda ok but the adjustability versus blade clamping bit seems a bit at odds with itself. That said, it shaves fine, just have to adjust it so it's acute enough to remove longer growth and cut in on sideboards/beard, without nicking. Curiously my father's was set bang on, so I'll have to fix it somehow

Apart from the stupid expense (IMO) the mach3 stuff works fairly well, but not with more than about 4 days growth or cutting around the aforementioned facial fuzz.

Pulling the skin tight so that the hair lifts up helps quite a bit (irrespective of razor). Must admit I usually just use bog standard washing soap and make sure it's well-wetted, nothing fancy.
    Try not to shave over the same area too much, it may just irritate it – at least, it does with me, tho' I find I can only wet shave mebbe twice a week anyway – more frequent than that and I get irritation, tho' I could shave most days with a foil razor.

Getting one or two small nicks I'd expect, shouldn't really be missing bits tho'.

Shaving *against* the grain will cut off a lot more, but it may a bad idea 'cos – at least in my case – the skin grows over the follicles, so the hair grows under the skin and/or causes zits ! (I suspect the hairs on my neck grow a bit more parallel to the skin than on some blokes, IYSWIM)

I've toyed with the idea of getting a straight razor, but if you don't get the stropping right you can bugger 'em up..

BlobOnAStick

I think I may have been one of the ones to recommend a Merkur, which I find so much better than any multi-blade I've ever tried for my daily (sometimes twice daily if I'm going out posh) shave.

Have you started with the adjustment right down at 1 and then worked up? If not, this will make quite a difference – I don't adjust the gap any wider than 3 (out of the 6 markings), if I do it looks like some kind of horror movie.

Keep at it, it really is worth persevering.

Ben

PS: For me shaving against the grain is like running your fingernails down a blackboard and leaves my skin burning with razor rash. My rule is DONT SHAVE AGAINST THE GRAIN (for myself). However, I get this kind of rash with bog-standard 3/4/5 bladed razors when shaving normally.

jond
    Free Member

>Have you started with the adjustment right down at 1 and then worked up

With the adjustable I've got I can feel if it's too acute *before* I do any damage, but I guess it takes some getting used to.

oddjob
    Free Member

I started with it adjusted right down and have gradully wound it to where it seems to work best. I think I probably just need to practice with it and take my time. The other point of not pushing down on it is something else I should bear in mind more.
    I have also ordered a shaving brush to see if that helps to get a bit closer without slicing chunks off.

jond
    Free Member

I *think* shaving brushes are only really relevant to get a decent lather with the right soap, you might get a little lift under the beard hairs by brushing against them but it's mainly pulling the skin taught (usually from above where you start the razor sweep) that lifts the stubble.

Yup, shouldn't need much pressure.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I've got a Merkur. I rarely need more than one stroke to shave and try to avoid going against the grain. It's just too sharp.

You don't say what creme/foam/gel you are using. I found it best with something that doesn't produce too much lather.

I use this and a brush. You only need a few squirts:

bensales
    Free Member

Different strokes for different folks. My Merkur HD fitted with Feather blades (properly sharp) still needs three passes on my beard (with/across/against) to give a smooth shave.

renton
    Free Member

i picked up a mrkur safety razor just before crimbo after getting fed up with the cost of mach 3 blades!!

i have to say that now ive had a bit of practice with it i get the best shave ive ever had.

no more ingrowing hairs and the shaving rash is almost non existent

i use the shaving cream as recommended by matthewjb above, also got the matching brush.

one thing i have learnt is that you cannot rush with it as you will look like you have put your face through a mincer.!!

oh an im only using level 2 out of the 6 and its close enough for me!

cheers

steve

doc_blues
    Free Member

just switched over to using a cheap boots handle and head plus blades that came with it – just to see if I could get on with it – after years of spending way too much on mach 3 etc – liking what I am getting shave wise – way better than gillette – especially as I only shave once a week. found loriel shaving foam works quite well with it – much better than gillette stuff. gonna give some proper shaving soap and a brush a go, and decided to invest in a dcent handle etc – might even tempt me to loose the beard!!!!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Shaving with a safety razor’ is closed to new replies.