Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Shaving legs
  • chameleon78
    Free Member

Pros only?

rudedog
    Free Member

Its not something I would do but each to their own. I can’t see what benefit it has for mountain biking though.

aP
    Free Member

Why – do you need it to match your back, sack and crack?

stevemtb
    Free Member

Only reason I can see for doing it is that it’s meant to be a lot cleaner if you fall off and rip the skin off a leg.

Even then, I’d rather keep my leg hairs! Plenty of other places I can reduce weight and increase aerodynamicism (think I may have made up a new word there…)

ourmaninthenorth

Are you 12 years old in the playground?

FFS.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about it, but I don’t know why.
    I just need a good excuse ;0)

fontmoss
    Free Member

i don’t think there is a justification (outside of having lots of massage) but hunners of folk do it, if you want to do it then just do it 😉

Surfr
    Free Member

Hairy lycra is NOT a good look. get them pins shaved!

crazy-legs

Its not something I would do but each to their own. I can’t see what benefit it has for mountain biking though.

It’s much easier to clean mud off your legs after a race/ride when it’s all dried on. Mud tends to stick less to shaved legs in the first place.
    Pros do it cos it makes massage much less painful and it’s also less painful if/when you fall off and suffer road rash.

carlosg
    Free Member

I used to do it years ago when I was a roadie/triathlete but not anymore .

For what it’s worth though they used to feel lovely against mrscarlos legs when we were both freshly shaved! 😳 😈

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I did for the first time last summer out of curiosity and carried on until about October.
    The reason I carried on shaving them was because of vanity. I prefer the look of my legs without hair. It is also a lot more comfortable when I wear trousers/ jeans too.
    Had my first shave of the new year last weekend so i’m again hairless.
    Couldn’t give a chuff if people don’t agree/ like it. My wife also finds it strangely erotic too, which is a bonus. 😉

hilldodger
    Free Member

Reasons given are usually aerodynamics, more comfortable with lycra, more effective massage & easier wound cleaning……

…..but’s lets face it, if you’re legs are tanned and buff they look and feel goooooood if freshly shaven 😈

karnali
    Free Member

not shaved but strimmed them down with the hari clippers for a tri last season as it was hot and sunny. Much easier to get sun tan lotion into and wetsuit came off a lot easier. Will probably strim again this year not sure about the full shave.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Epilating is better than shaving, haven’t tried waxing though may give it a go this year….

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I hear that eyeliner also makes your eyes much prettier.

gingerflash

I first did it because riding 24 hours solo in the mud caused me to have golf-ball-sized lumps of mud hanging off the hairs on my legs. Very painful to get it off. So much easier to wipe down hairless legs, the mud just doesn’t really stick in the first place.

I ride road bikes a lot too, and hairy legs look a bit daft with lycra.

Sun cream is a factor too. Bubbing it into hairy legs just makes a big matted mess.

gingerflash

MrsF said she wasn’t keen, until I did it. Rather likes it now…

hilldodger
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member
    I hear that eyeliner also makes your eyes much prettier

You heard right dreamboy 😈

chameleon78
    Free Member

hairy and lycra are my reasonings,hems snagging leg hairs ouch!
    Not sure though, might strim first.

eyeliner doens’t make your eyes prettier.

elaineanne
    Free Member

leave him alone…he,s a chameleon after all.. 😉
    you go shave your legs….i dont think it will make you ride any faster tho… 😉 :mrgreen:

chameleon78
    Free Member

thats what you think……..

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

It does make you faster and I have proof.

On a road ride last weekend I went up a hill that was a mile long and about 17% at it steepest point and I struggled up there in 1st gear. I went up the same hill last night after shaving my legs and flew up there in 3rd gear with relative ease. 😀

Speshpaul

GlitterGary – Member
    I hear that eyeliner also makes your eyes much prettier.

Theres something wrong there, you should change your login name, its not good.

Rorschach
    Free Member

After constant mickey taking and hair pulling at cx races I relented and shaved-it is a constant pain in the arse given that I hav’nt had a proper shave in 10 years but even though the season has ended I’ll continue to be hairless.
    Epilating is more painful than being kicked in the goolies….constantly…..for an hour.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I think the bigger question is how far up to shave? To the knee, mid thigh, sack, belly button, chin, nose or full top to toe?

mudshark
    Free Member

For what it’s worth though they used to feel lovely against mrscarlos legs when we were both freshly shaved!

True that.

I trimmed mine rather than shaved them last year as didn’t want to get stubbly but wanted a cleaner look to fit in with the other roadies – 100% vanity.

traildog
    Free Member

Many pros actually. It’s much much easier to clean your legs after riding (this is a biggie and a reason enough to do it). Massage is much nicer. Your legs tan better. Shorts and particularly lycra shorts with hair legs just looks odd. It stands you out as a cyclist. And you don’t get laughed at for having hairy legs at any races.

bob_summers

hard to tell with the resolution of my telly, but seems like it’s crossing over into football, rugby…

epilating is the best way, only hurts the first time.

Philby

Keep thinking of doing it, but not sure the reaction I would get down at the gym – probably loads of p***-taking. Might try it in summer when I don’t go down the gym as much.

tazzymtb

I do and it confuses the “all single speeders are hairy beardy luddites” brigade wonderfully. 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

I am a conundrum…beardy ss rider with shaved legs.
    Actually I’m a mass of contradictions me-middle aged,beardy,bmx riding,shaved legged, singlespeeding,downhilling,cx racing whippet-who hates mud.

oldgit
    Free Member

Done mine for ages. Just so good alround, easy to clean both dirt and cuts, and makes oiling up and applying embrocation easier. In a Winter race I can chuck on all sorts of things to warm up my legs and stop them getting rain soaked.

Fade to hair at the upper thigh.

Dogsby

Wax. The only solution.

Dogsby

warton
    Free Member

It makes your calves look ripped maaan. its a nicer post ride massage.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Shaving legs’ is closed to new replies.