Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Self preservation in this weather.
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Should I MTFU?

Scenario: Riding on Dartmoor – -3 to -5, icy, on Hard tail, no phone reception, alone, technical descent.

I walked some a descent I normally ride down (Smallacombe rocks). Am I alone or is anyone else a bit self-protective in this weather?

binners

I’m protecting myself by not being daft enough to go out on’t bike in the first place 🙂

z1ppy

I’m struggling to walk round the local park with the dog due to ice on the paths, wondering if riding is gunna be at all possible?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s as bad here – we have only had 1 inch of snow and its all melted! The frost was heavy yesterday but was not that icy on the roads which I kept off 🙂

jamesb
    Free Member

agree havent been out for a while now; main roads have patchy ice alomg edges, minor roads are slick ice, and off road ground hard frozen, icy and on hills knee deep snow. Even walking dog in morning Im using microspikes crampons due to icy conditions…….

epicyclo

foxyrider – Member
    Should I MTFU?….

You don’t have to MTFU. Common sense is a great talent when you ride on your own.

Injury + immobility + subzero temps + hypothermia + no-one knowing where you are, best avoided IMO.

foxyrider
    Free Member

They were my thoughts but just checking 🙂 BTW my wife usually knows where I am going 🙂

hora
    Free Member

If you don’t have mobile reception ALWAYS tell someone where you are going and what time to expect you to call in/get back by if you must ride in such conditions alone.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh I usually tell her how long I aim to be out 🙂 And roughly where I am going but maybe next weekend I’ll give it with more emphasis 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

I just got back from going to the bank and over for some munchies, about 1 hour in the saddle, I laughed a lot and slid all over the place. Then my gears went wonky and I lost the top two. Still it was a lot of fun and good to be out for a while.

It’s odd that none of the cars are racing about and everyone is relaxed and calm. Biking in this weather is a bit wild, it’s like a whole different world out there. I hope it’s not the start of the next ice age, I just got my bike back together 😉

TiRed

Both kids rode to school with me in -2C this AM. Only a few moans before leaving. Some kids weren’t wearing gloves 😯

As for self preservation, absolutely – tell where you are going and when you will call and return. An hour late isn’t too bad, three hours would be call the emergency services in that weather!

binners

The cat speaketh the truth. Words of wisdom here:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDu7yYHxZr0[/video]

snowslave

Pleased myself laughing at that one Ads – I was thinking exactly the same. Nice one

woody2000

I reckoned you’ve MTFU’d enough by just going out. We spent 3 hours or so falling about on Saturday, walked a lot of stuff, but we were out there and it was a laugh. Tonight might be a different story though, v. icy and cold at the moment!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Self preservation in this weather.’ is closed to new replies.