Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Sealskinz socks – just how waterproof?
  • martinhutch

Got some nice Sealskinz socks from Santa and went on a 20-miler in the Dales yesterday. Admittedly it was like riding through a 20 mile puddle with my feet disappearing into the mire on a few occasions, but I was a bit surprised to find my feet slopping around in their own puddle after about 14 miles.

Sealskinz are billed as ‘waterproof’ – am I being overoptimistic to hope they’ll keep my feet relatively dry throughout a day in Yorkshire slop?

honourablegeorge

Had the same experience with them, they’re utterly useless.

druidh
    Free Member

Completely waterproof. That’s why the water that was splashing on your leg and soaking into the sock from the top down wasn’t escaping.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

i find that they are totally waterproof,but if water gets in through the hole in the top, it never leaves

Drac

If they get submerged they get full of water, if it pours down then the rain runs down your legs into your socks. They’re very good but to expect 100% waterproofing is a bit much.

dan1980
    Free Member

Assuming they aren’t faulty (stand them in water for a while and see if they get wet inside) the chances are it’s water running down your leg. Once water gets in, it struggles to get out.

martinhutch

I did consider that. But they were calf height and there was a hell of a lot of water in them, so figured some of it must be coming in through pressure contact with saturated shoes.

Perhaps gaiters are the answer!

dan1980
    Free Member

Assuming they aren’t faulty (stand them in water for a while and see if they get wet inside) the chances are it’s water running down your leg. Once water gets in, it struggles to get out.

nuke

Sealskins work very well imo, it’s just you’ve got to figure out how to stop water getting in the through the top that works best for you.

Personally I use a couple of livestrong-style wristbands and put them over the top of my Sealskin socks making the seal better for when water/mud splash on to my leg that then drains down to the sock.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

As above… they are waterproof both ways…

davesmate
    Free Member

I’ve a mate who swears by them, his reasoning being that even though water gets in through the top the socks act like a wet suit to keep your feet warm. I tried them for a while and have to agree with honourablegeorge, utterly useless. As they were a present I guess you’ll just have to get used to them.

I suffer with really cold feet when riding in winter. Best solution for me has been warm socks and a decent set of over shoes.

davesmate
    Free Member

The other thing to remember is they don’t breathe as well as normal socks so sweat finds it just as hard to escape as water. I’ve got a pair of sealskinz gloves that have this problem

21dwb
    Free Member

Superb sock, but there would be quite a bit of sweat in there as well as water seeping in the top. Main thing though they hold the heat.

martinhutch

The Livestrong band idea is a good one. I’ll give them another go.

On a more positive note, the ‘water resistant’ cheapo softshell from Dare2B kept me relatively dry and warm even though the second half of the ride was monsoonish.

crazy-legs

I really like mine but as mentioned above, once water is in there it won’t get out. Wear them under tights or trousers, it stops water seeping in from above. I also wear a thin pair of normal cycling socks underneath to help wick sweat out.

On road I’ll wear overshoes as well but I hate overshoes off-road, they just clog up.

Simon

Work best with waterproof overtrousers if it’s chucking it down.

therag
    Free Member

Used mine for the first time yesterday, warm puddles in both from running down my legs.

AirconAde
    Free Member

I’ve been using them for years and find them great. The best thing I found was using them with waterproof bib tights as this stops the “water running down leg” problem.

I’ve just bought some mid weight knee length ones for on the enduro motorbike because thats even less fun if you feet get soaked.

One thing I’ve found is that when you wash them, turn them inside out to dry as they dry loads quicker.

Tiger6791

Very waterproof – I tested mine in the sink

Not breathable though!

Put 2 plastic bags on your feet, it’s not water it’s sweat 😐

deanfbm
    Free Member

I’d say they’re really waterproof, but that’s the problem.

Water gets in quite easy, then can’t get out.

I haven’t found this wet suit effect others are having, i find the water gets in cold and stays cold.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I gave up with them because of the trenchfoot ;0

ianm3409
    Free Member

I find them great. Even if they do fill up with a little water they still feel warm which to me on a 2-5 hour ride is the main thing, this however only seems to happen if im wearing shorts so may try the livestrong band trick.

avdave2

No more water running in from the top.

stratman
    Free Member

I use them with singletrack full length trousers and ordinary socks underneath – find them warm and dry. Also ran with them (what I bought them for) and ran through icy puddles with dry feet. Probably did run in the top.

epicyclo

As waterproof as welly boots.

Some people complain about getting their feet wet in wellies when they stand in water that comes over the top. Then they hold the water inside beautifully too. Same with SealSkinz.

Seal the top or wear longer ones.

Make sure they are not a tight fit on your foot. Stretching them is a good way to make them leak.

They work if you use them properly.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Did 17 miles from Reeth on saturday, my feet were reasonably dry & warm with Sealskins on.

clubber
    Free Member

just a tip but always make sure that sealskinz are under your leggings, tights or trousers (eg dont tuck your leggings into your socks) otherwise water runs down them into the socks and won’t escape. I’ve seen several people complaining that their sealskinz were filling with water when they’d done this.

Burls72
    Free Member

As above, it’s sweat or water getting in from the top. You’ll never stop your feet getting wet if it’s heavy rain or humid. Your better off with overshoes and wool socks as wool keeps you warm when wet.

clubber
    Free Member

overshoes are shite for mtbing ime so not an option…

wynne
    Free Member

Like the man said, good like a welly, but at least they’re windproof so even if your feet are wet you don’t get that wind chill.

These Sugoi socks are the only waterproof thing I’ve used that really work.

[/url]

The fit is really tight so you don’t get water running in. Got mine from Cycle Surgery a year or so ago. I really recommend them.

devs
    Free Member

Livestrong bands? Are you people beanpoles? They dig in my wrist, putting them on my calfs would see my feet get gangrene by the end of a ride! Stealth tights over the top is the answer.

nuke

Fit fine on me…got to be a bit tight or it doesn’t work. Diagram time…

😉

SOAP
    Free Member

I think there cack. They fill up with water then freeze.
    Merino FTW warm and wet anyway 🙂

Northwind

It’s possible yours are faulty.

TBH people get really varying results with these, I think it’s partly fit? Mine are nice and snug and keep almost all the water out, or did til they got old anyway.

martinhutch

I’ll give them another go in a couple of days – I now suspect user error. It’s inevitably the underlying reason for failure.

duner
    Free Member

They now make a knee high version which are amazing. I wear them under tights and they keep me perfectly warm and dry.

TooTall
    Free Member

They are waterproof, not magic. As said, they have a geet big hole in the top of them as well. If not actually faulty, then it is how you wear them. Your feet also sweat up to about 50ml of sweat in a day, so that can contribute. I always wear mine with a thin pair of liner socks and then under leggings etc.

OP – you never said whether you had shorts on or tights / trousers?

martinhutch

tights and thin liner socks, can’t recall if tucked in or over, but probably seepage from above rather than sweat.

It was just the sheer quantity of it sloshing around that slightly confused me. Didn’t even get that much with conventional socks in similar conditions.

Del

gore goretex socks FTW. they breath, and heaven’s above! they’ve actually thought about the hole at the end, and put a snug elasticated collar on it. what will they think of next?
    😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Sealskinz socks – just how waterproof?’ is closed to new replies.