• This topic has 54 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by imn.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Screwdrivers – whats good?
  • TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Wera

andyl
    Free Member

Another vote for Stanley Fatmax here too. Got a set here and bought a seconds for the lab.

whimbrel
    Free Member

Stoner, is that a Stanley Fatmax corkscrew 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

What you need is a Brummie one.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mos – Member

Stanley Yankee 131 for real men, everything else is gay, Fact!

I knew an old chippy, long dead now, who said the complete opposite – pump screwdrivers were not for real chippies. Use your wrist man.

The Victorians built Britain with the help of these :

BTW, I hope no one is under the misapprehension that screwdrivers should last for years. Flat screwdrivers should be regularly re-ground/filed, and pozidrive/philips screwdrivers should be regularly thrown away.

The only difference between decent screwdrivers and cheap ones, is that cheap ones should be thrown away straight away.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have some Koken ‘hammer through’ drivers that have stood up to all kinds of abuse, the posi’s are showing signs of wear, but they get used for philip’s to.
    90% of the time I use Snap-on rachet srewdrivers, I have three & TBH the newer one’s arn’t as good as the older ones which has only been rebuilt the once in 25 years, combine them with a decent bit set such as these & they will see you right for a good while.

Oh & stoner, I think you need a decent tool box 😉

pacemaker
    Free Member

Bahco or Facom.

Stoner
    Free Member

Oh & stoner, I think you need a decent tool box

I have a filing cabinet in the office. Why would I want one in the shed? 😉

Stoner, is that a Stanley Fatmax corkscrew

Possibly. Never start work without alcohol.

Northwind

My Teng ones have been good. The small flathead took offence at being ridiculously overtorqued a while back and twisted slightly but tbh, the way I was treating it I wouldn’t blame it if it had snapped. Nice to handle too, grippy even when covered in grease.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Three_Fish
    Free Member

+1 for Wera. Buy a set of their hex keys while you’re on.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

I have some facom, they’re probably about 10 years old and were good until recently when the soft coating on the handle has started to dissolve. No idea what I have done to them.

Got a snap-on ratchet with the soft grip handle, it’s ok but not a patch on my older snap on one with the hard handle.

To replace the facom ones I picked up a Stanley set with the yellow and black handles as they were cheap. No complaints with them so far.

DickBarton

Sunny D and Grants for cheapness…Smirnoff and Tropicana for a more market taste…

donsimon
    Free Member

Takmaster from Brown Brothers, if they still do them. Quite cheap and a lifetime warranty (atleast they used to…).

imn

Wera are very good, and used by several maintenance mechanics and electricians I know. You can get the yellow handled ‘drive through’, the green ‘general’ or red & yellow ‘electrical’ ones, all are well made and comfy to use. They’re not as easily available as Stanley etc (easier than Facom though), but Screwfix amongst others tend to stock them. Price for the quality is reasonable.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Screwdrivers – whats good?’ is closed to new replies.