Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Scandal and >100mm forks?
  • drain

I've seen a couple of threads on here which have mentioned that the geometry of the Scandal (26er, not 29er) is the same as the Inbred, and so could be ok with a fork of up to 130mm travel (and that Brant had concurred).

The current On One site states 100mm with a big 'MAX' next to it for both the 29er and 26er.

I'm wondering if anyone has actually been running their Scandal in a slightly long-legged way? Issues of steering/responsiveness aside, should I be concerned about ovalisation of the headtube (or worse! 😐 )?

Reason I ask is because I'm thinking of putting a set of U-Turn 100-130mm Revelations on for the loop at Cwm Rhaeadr this weekend, to get a bit more ooomph over my Rebas. I guess a fallback option is to keep the Revs down to 100mm and they will at least provide a stiffer fork than the Rebas.

Cue the usual responses of downhill mincer, MTFU etc etc, all of which are perfectly true 😀 , but if someone out there has some experience of running a mid travel fork on a Scandal I'd appreciate your views, ta muchly.

poppa
    Free Member

I think it used to be advertised as being suitable for 3-4-5" forks, i.e. 80-125mm-ish travel. Then the CEN tests came in which are tougher than previous stress-tests (I think), and the Inbred/Scandal failed with long forks, so was no longer advertised as being for >100mm.

Any/all of this might be wrong.

Bottom line is you will be fine. And anyway, you can wind them down to 100mm can't you?! What's the problem?

drain

Thanks poppa. Yeah, good point, hadn't thought that the CEN testing might have changed the formal goalposts (even though in reality nowt had changed in performance).

As you (and I) said, I guess I could keep them to 100mm. Just wondering if anyone does run them longer on a day-to-day basis and what their experience has been.

poppa
    Free Member

Oh, and the head angle is the same as the 456 (for the same travel forks) and people get away with long forks on those.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i ride an inbred with rev u-turns. For 90% of the time they are at 130mm as i cant be bothered to adjust them. It handles fine, but feels funny when i wind them down to 100. The scandal is the same geometry – i bought mine on the basis that it could run up to 130mm forks so i do 🙂

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

I ran mine at 130mm non adjustable revs. Was fine. Any problems or steering difficulies were down to pilot error.

drain

Thanks folks, good to know that the frame material copes with 130mm.

Plenty of scope for pilot error here 😳

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Scandal and >100mm forks?’ is closed to new replies.