Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • RS Pike Stanchion wear
  • JonBurns
    Free Member

So riding on the weekend a friend noticed the stanchions on my fork were discolouring above the seals.

Tonight I’ve cleaned them, taken them apart to find other marks on the stanchions.

Can’t remember which leg it was but there was a mark about an inch from the end, another mark around where the seal would be then the discolouration above the seal.

Some photos here;
    https://picasaweb.google.com/JonB07/Stanchion?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCI2eg5qNxPHUDw&feat=directlink

Anyone got any advice if anything needs doing to them or is it just a case of use them until they’re totally warn out (when would that likely be).

Thanks in advance.

grum
    Free Member

Mine did this

And I fixed them up with some nail varnish – seem to be fine and don’t leak oil. Yours look like there could be some deeper gouges that might require more fixing but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

honourablegeorge

Spooky – was just discussing the exact same issue with LoCo on the Cotic BFe thread.

james
    Free Member

My Revelations did similar (1/4 way around stantion)
    Checked the upper bush and the same 1/4 way around had worn down to the metal (on the bush)
    Swapped lowers with better nic bushed in (had some to go at from some crashed recons my brother bent the steerer on)
    It leaks a bit more oil that it should. Just doubled the oil in the lowers and top up when it stops leaking

jeff

my pikes went like grum’s, but I did no maintenance at all. I lose some oil, but they work fine.

Am now stripping my lyriks down regularly to hopefully prevent any problems.

Noticed that the lyriks have no foam rings under the seals and the pikes do – wondering if these can trap dirt next to the stanchions and make things worse.

goatster
    Free Member

Jeff:
    Easy way of making your lyriks ‘plusher’ is to remove the second seal from underneath the wipe seal and replace with foam. Then service like foxes.
    T

jeff

Interesting tip!

But as they’ve survived really well, I think I’ll leave them be and tip them upside down before every ride.

Should the wipers be packed with grease? Seeing mixed messages – SRAM say no.

Radioman

Very Sad seeing this. If you look after forks it shouldn’t happen! After each ride wipe stanchions down and put a couple of drops of fork oil on the stanchion just above the seal. At the beginning of the next ride compress the forks and wipe the dirt ring that will have formed on the stanchions. Doing this every ride cleans the dust seals and stops muck getting in in the beginning. Forks last longer and servicing can be a bit less frequent. A few years ago Tim at T F T uned recommended the above to me. it works!

billyboy
    Free Member

I just found similar wear inside the stanchions on my Pike.

My fault for buying RS I guess….quality ain’t there with SRAM and RS.

I haven’t learnt tho…just bought some new revs, here’s hoping they last a bit better

JonBurns
    Free Member

Hmm so is the consensus that it’s a bit of a pain in the butt and has no doubt shortened their lifespan but are still usable?

Usually quite keen to clean around seals then wetlube push down and wipe but obviously not up to the required standard.

Taking them apart there wasn’t much oil inside and fair bit of crud so cleaned out re-oiled and they’re now back together. They feel better but I’m conscious the foam rings didn’t look that great.

What’s the home mechanics technique for installing new seals?

Could someone also share the Nail Varnish tips to me as well please?

Sparky77
    Free Member

I had the same problem with my pikes, went in the same place as Grum’s. Took them apart, rubbed the worst out with some wet and dry then have left them as is. Am just a little more religious at replacing oil etc probably once a month or so.

Read about the nail varnish and liquid metal filler. Tried the liquid metal filler as could get some from work, but ended up taking it all off as couldn’t get it smooth enough to not mark the seals. Not sure whether or not to give nail varnish a go or not now…

doug_basqueMTB.com

Mine did exactly the same as Grum’s. I found a little bit of oil leakage and when I serviced them it was dirtier. I increased the frequency of servicing and rode them until the bushings fell apart. It took about a year and a half for the stantions to wear and another year for the bushings to fall apart. I ride a lot though.

Installing the new seals is quite easy I found. If you can find a socket or bit of pipe big enough then you can use that to tap them in. I just used a screwdriver with some tape round the end and worked my way round. Not text book I’ll agree but mine went in quite easily with a bit of suspension oil around them to help.

Don’t beat yourself up about the maintenance. I looked after mine pretty well and it happened.

Superficial
    Free Member

That’s a tiny mark, it’s going to be well below the dust seals, probably around the lower bushing. I.e. it’s not going to let water/ dirt in any easier or affect the plushness. I suppose it might prematurely wear the lower bushing but that’s a very small point.

I’d forget about it, personally. If you’re very paranoid you could do a touch up job with nail varnish. Doubt it’ll do anything to the life of the forks, realistically.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘RS Pike Stanchion wear’ is closed to new replies.