Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Routes around Aldermaston
  • iolo
    Free Member

I’m staying in the area for a while so am looking for routes in the area.
    Can anyone recommend any?

flipiddy
    Free Member

Go and speak to the Pedal On boys who will give you some pointers on some local stuff.

If you want a decent ride then cycle out to the Kingsclere downs (about 5 miles away). Here’s one route after a quick check online: http://www3.hants.gov.uk/cycling/cycling-route-finder/cycling-watership-down.htm

I probably have a gpx of a good ride I did a couple of years ago taking in the downs and surrounding area when staying at my parents place. Drop me a line if you want it and I will have a look.

Otherwise Swinley is the nearest place if you are averse to (albeit good) bridleway type riding.

cinnamon_girl

Good call by flipiddy, the Watership Down route is a fave of mine. 8)

boobs

Chilterns just up the road Tuesday night rides with Mountain High in Pangbourne. Could pop over to Swinley if you have a car.

gusamc
    Free Member

Burghfield Common, S (woods), Mortimer, SW,(via Calleva) W (on coughpath) to Silchester, loop through woods, back Calleva, red dots, Mortimer, back to BC

mauja
    Free Member

The Kingsclere route is good but it’s a fair bit of road riding to get there if you don’t want to drive.

If you want to ride from Aldermaston then I’d recommend –

Get on the canal at Aldermaston and follow the towpath towards Theale, from Theale take the footbridge over the M4 then there’s a bridleway that will take you up to Sulham Wood. There’s some small trails in Sulham Wood to play on, a few steep short downhill bits to mess around on and a few jumps if that’s your kind of thing.

From Sulham you can head towards Pangbourne and join the thames path at Whitchurch Hill which is surprisingly good to ride if you head towards Goring (just watch out for the steps as they’re notorious for bike accidents). If you leave the thames path before you reach Goring there are loads of bridleways that take you up towards Woodcote and Checkendon where there’s loads to explore.

iolo
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies.
    Mauja,
    I’m staying next to the canal so that route sounds ideal.
    I’ll have to buy an OS map and try and get a route sorted.
    Many thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Routes around Aldermaston’ is closed to new replies.