Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rocky Mountain Element owners – stiff pivots?
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2003 RM Element which is great – brilliant as a race bike and similarly good on the twisty singletrack local to me (Bristol). What it’s not so good at though is bigger hits or successive ones where it feels very clattery – kind of like having too much compression or rebound damping.

So, I thought I’d take it apart to try and clean up the pivots since I figured they were probably dragging and the cause of the excessive damping feel.

Did that and confirmed my suspicions – the pivots are all stiff but since they’re ptfe type bushings on metal pivots, even with plenty of grease they’re still very tight and sticky.

Anyone else found similar? Is this just normal for the element? It certainly explains why it’s so good at XC type riding but with better shocks now (I have one with platform), it’s not really necessary and I’d ideally like to free it up so that it handles bigger stuff better.

I’ve been considering polishing the bushings enough to loosen it up a bit but obviously not enough to get play (I can always get replacement bushes if I go too far anyway) but before I start I’d be interested to hear how other people’s elements ride.

DezB
    Free Member

You can get all the bushings replaced. Made a massive difference on mine back in 2001. I miss that bike. It was fast (though it was an Instinct – same frame).

juan
    Free Member

I had a element ages ago.
    Basicaly I only had to put on some teflon spray on the bushings.
    Hope it helps

clubber
    Free Member

Did new bushings free it up? Mine all moves smoothly but with quite a lot of drag.

It is a great bike though.

righty
    Free Member

clubber, been trying to email you about the blue bars, your email keeps bouncing back

clubber
    Free Member

Hmmm works for me…

clu bber at LVIS dot ORG dot UK

without the spaces, right?

parkey
    Free Member

Hi Clubber,

I have a RM Element 2008 which has been ridden a fair bit and in terms of maintenance I’ve only stripped and lubricated the bearings / bushings once so far. However there is now a creaking sound a bit like the seat post rails are dusty os something (but it’s not that). I was going to strip the bike down before going on big trekking holiday so I’ll let you know how I get on and if the bushings are the cause and if servicing or replacing them solves the problem. BTW – this is the only problem I’ve had so and the bike is superb – climbs trails like a whippet.

stuey
    Free Member

I thought ptfe bushings can ‘swell’ with grease?

specky4eyes
    Free Member

I have a 2003 element Tsc, my problems are the opposite, the bushes wear out quickly, as do the bearings. I’ve replaced the bushes 3 times and the bearings once. An expensive business as the top hat bushes are £28 a set, and with bearings and new screws, close on £100.

I live and ride in the lakes which may explain the rapid wear. I was told to lube the bushes with silicon grease.

NZCol

parkey – check the cable guides on the frame – i had the same thing on mine and it was them being dry

Fwiw i have an 07 element team and have never had to replace the bushes or bearings in over 5000km of riding – all sorts of weather, multi day adventure races etc. They are just starting to go now but I am frequenlty amazed.

NZCol
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rocky Mountain Element owners – stiff pivots?’ is closed to new replies.