Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Rockshox Reba 120mm
  • 00soppd
    Free Member

Hi everyone this is my first post, although I have been a reader for some time.

I am hoping someone can help as I have been searching high and low with not much luck.

I am building up a new bike and want some Reba’s with 120mm travel like I have on my other bike, but for the life of me I cannot find any anywhere. Ebay new and auction, all websites, everywhere. But they all have 100mm travel forks.

Next question, can you DEFINITELY change these 100mm travel forks to 120mm? Because I have had conflicting views.

Thanks in advance guys.

Dan

somouk
    Free Member
    kiwifiz
    Free Member

Hi 00 etc……Are you sure you looked that hard?? RL & RLT versions at CRC…….bound to be cheaper on searching but “UK” code will give you a further £15.00 off these prices at the moment…..

CRC reba 120mm

CRC reba2

edit: edged by somouk!

Popocatapetl

Try Merlin Reba Forks
    Or Reba RL

timwillows
    Free Member

Just had my 2009 Reba changed from 100mm to 120mm

00soppd
    Free Member

Thanks for replies. That’s the thing see them on CRC but expensive. Merlin don’t have the black 120mm in stock.

Are all the “cheaper” forks online say around the £275 mark the 100mm that cannot be changed? I don’t have a problem buying the 100mm forks aslong as I can be sure that I can convert them and no one seems sure. Mine field.

Scamper
    Free Member

Bought some 100mm RL’s from On-One last year for £250 (they are still doing them). Won’t know until I open them up, but I thought it was just a case of putting in different spacer to get 120mm?

nbt

take the spacers out to increase the travel. Up to about 2008 they went from 100 to 115mm – later models go from 100 to 120mm as they have a 20mm spacer in, not a 15mm spacer

00soppd
    Free Member

Nbt. Is that def the case? With all models of reba? Because I have heard stories of there being a difference between “OEM” forks and “boxed” forks as in packaged in RS packaging. I have also had two shops tell me that the forks they’re selling cannot be changed. Is this true or do they not know their products well enough?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup.. Just had 2010 ones made into 120mms..
    Great bits of kit!!

Shorty121
    Free Member

I thought in the description if they had “All travel” then they could be changed

ceramicmatt

I had the same dilemma with my Reba SL’s. Sent them to tf tuning and they extended them to 120mm as part of a service. They did a great job!

mjsmke

I picked up some 08 ones from merlin cycles a few years ago. They were 100mm but now 115. Though its possible to get them to 118mm with less negative air.

mmel
    Free Member

FYI I’ve got 2011 Reba RLT’s on my Piglet running at 120mm. It’s a pretty easy job to drop the lowers and take the spacer out. From what I understand all recent Reba’s can run at 120 apart from the Race version as that uses SID lowers.

nbt

I’ve taken apart several different pairs of rockshox. ALL have had travel spacers that have been removeable

spw3

I got some secondhand and was worried about the same thing. It was an easy job to remove the spacer and now they are 120mm. Sadly you are looking for a 100% guarantee and you are not going to get one.

BUT when I was googling this in a state of some anxiety and saw plenty if people posting that they had been told that it was not possible and plenty of people posting that they had in fact performed the conversion successfully themselves but not one post from anyone saying that they’d dismantled a fork and found it wasn’t possible.

I think therefore you’ll be fine. It depends on your attitude to uncertainty.

legend
    Free Member

NOT all 100s can be extended! I bought a pair of 2010s, took them apart, no travel spacer and not enough extension on the spring and damper rods. Needless to say I wasn’t chuffed (had been told that they could be adjusted), but just sold them and got the right kit instead.

00soppd
    Free Member

@ spw3, You’re right on the money there, I am looking for a yes or no answer! haha

If i cannot get my hands on some forks already at 120mm (at a good price) then I will just have take the plunge and risk it! Hey, only money!

Thanks for all the other replies btw, much appreciated.

rob13380
    Free Member

You can do it – YES is the answer – might be a bit late! I have doen this to about 18/20 sets of various forks they pretty much all have the removable spacer in them and if you take the lowers off and they havent then thats your answer too!

martinhutch

If you’re unsure, look up the technical docs for your exact fork model on the Sram website – this is the one for my Recon Gold RL, for example.

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/X35YvR_C4R1c8OlJKx-zJuyREWNvFsuDNT3I185VDH0/mtime:1301947155/sites/default/files/techdocs/2011-recon-gold-technical-manual.pdf

It tells you exactly how to the do it in the ‘all travel’ section of the service instructions.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

My 2011 100mm Rebas from On-One did *not* have the spacer and couldn’t be modified to 120.

Easy (if messy) job to take them apart (as long as you got the right grease & oil). Be careful not to damage the air shaft nut when you bash it – it’s made of cheese

d45yth
    Free Member

Have you searched the German online stores?

tinsy
    Free Member

Have you searched the German online stores?

Yes I have & often… 🙂

Scamper
    Free Member

Adding to my post 5 months ago, opened up my 100mm reba’s form On One, bought a year ago and spacer removed took them to a smidge over 120.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Anyone know if a 2012 SID RLT 120mm can be reduced to 100mm?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Reba 120mm’ is closed to new replies.