Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • rockshox monarch R boardman team fs problem
  • doffers
    Free Member

It seems my rear shock is unable to extend fully even at max ps (275)

As a lightweight rider i am unable to benefit from all the travel the shock offers as i previously ran it at a low psi.

I’ve tried exercising the shock by deflating and inflating a few times but it always seems packed up.

A friend suggested it may be a problem with the negative chamber.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thank you!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

doffers – welcome to the forum.

I wont have the answer – I’m just going to ask questions that might clarify your problem to others here.

Just to clarify:

unable to extend fully even at max ps (275)

it always seems packed up

So when it’s pumped up to the max the bike doesnt sit high enough?

On the other hand – when there is no air in it there should only be a tiny part of the shock shaft visible.

How have you measured that you aren’t getting full travel? Does the shock have an o-ring on it?

doffers
    Free Member

It doesn’t sit as high as is it used to at low psi’s. To partially extend it the ridiculous 275 psi feels as if it it locked out. Which is the same feeling i get at lower psi’s.

when there is no air in it, there is only a tiny part of the shaft visible.

I use an o ring to measure travel. Also there were markings on the inner shaft that i can no longer see as it does not extend fully.

Thank you

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

mmm.

To fully extend it the ridiculous 275 psi feels as if it it locked out.

Thats normal.

when there is no air in it, there is only a tiny part of the shaft visible.

Thats normal.

there were markings on the inner shaft that i can no longer see as it does not extend fully.

That’s where I’m lost TBH.

Is that related to

it doesn’t sit as high as is it used to at low psi’s.

Overall – if its changed how it behaves since new then something is amiss. Is it under warranty?

/Edit – Im just trying to clarify the terminology. I do think you’ve got a problem – hopefully under warranty. /

doffers
    Free Member

Yes it does feel alto different. Im also lost as i can’t s ee the markings anymore even though ive been riding at a maintained psi. They haven’t won off or anything.

Sorry Im new to this forum and my goddamn auto correct is really annoying. Smart phone my ass.

Thanks for the help

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

So doffers – how old is it and did you buy it new?

Whatever the answer there’s a great guy who posts on here called Loco who fixes / services shocks and hopefully he’ll be along in the morning with a more definitive answer.

doffers
    Free Member

Its under warranty but unfortunately boardman is only availabl3 through halfords, and i lack faith in their work…

Junkyard
    Free Member

we all lack faith in their work but they will be the first port of call i am afraid.

doffers
    Free Member

9 months old. Bought new. Assembled by halfords……… Had to make adjustments straight after they finished with it. Haven’t particularly rode it hard. Every ride it takes occasional drops of say 1-2ft. Nothing too crazy. Rides vary from 20-50miles once or twife a week.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

doffers – you’re a lucky chap! Bring it back to them tomorrow. State clearly that its not working as purchased – as above.

Ahem, cough cough.

Rides vary from 20-50miles once or twife a week.

Read the manual for what the service interval is, it’s probably stupidly less than this (in the case of fox it can be less than one week). I’m a bad person for suggesting you “keep your riding total to be well below that interval”.

dale
    Free Member

it will be a waranty issue with rockshox.Halfords will send it there (uk)
    Try searching for fisher rockshox warenty the shock should be warentied for two years.Had a warenty job done through a rockshox dealer bike shop (not who I bought the bike from )

doffers
    Free Member

Is that a lot of mileage? Summers coming up too!

Fantastic.

I shall call the zoo halfords tomorrow and discuss the issue…

Thanks very.much for your help!

b_man
    Free Member

I had a problem with my Monarch shock on my boardman FS. It was loosing pressure over the course of a few hours, I took it back 3 months after purchase and after a wee bit of pursasion they just took a new shock off one of the brand new bikes and threw it on mine, hey presto, problem solved…. I imagine serice at Halfrauds is a bit hit and miss but I hope that you get a similarily good result with your shock!

Bootsie
    Free Member

Had problem with my monach shock on the boardman team
    Took bike back to Halfords
    6 weeks later i have a brand new RT3 shock as fisher could not service my orginal so upgraded me for free
    1st ride with new shock last night
    night & day to the orginal
    Hope this helps

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘rockshox monarch R boardman team fs problem’ is closed to new replies.