Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • RIP Mick McManus
  • Harry_the_Spider

Another part of my childhood passes. 🙁

http://news.sky.com/story/1094282/mick-mcmanus-british-wrestling-legend-dies

Saturday afternoon, beef paste sarnie on Warbie’s white, chipsticks and the wrestling on TV.

Junkyard
    Free Member

sad to hear that
    I also recall watching wrestling and thinking it was all real
    Saturday was cheese on toast day

pitduck
    Free Member

ask him ref!

TPTcruiser

Banana sandwiches for us.
    He was bad man, evil my Auntie Doreen said.
    Sad to lose him.

binners

I’m glad I’m not the only one who associates certain food with watching the wrestling on a Saturday afternoon. I watched it with my gran. She always made us a lovely meat and potato pie, to settle down in front of the telly with

RIP big fella

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

celebrity home for retired actors

How appropriate! Yes I used to think it was all real too. Fond memories of a carefree age.

mt
    Free Member

Oh no there all going. Never ever touch his ears, that makes him mad. Was a Les Kellet fan myself, not sure why just liked him on the telly. Saturday afternoon at Gran and Grandads.

rusty90
    Free Member

Ah, those were the days. Tubby men in swimming trunks pretending to knock seven bells out of each other while little old ladies shouted “Tear his head off! Kill him!”

And who can forget Kendo Nagasaki, the mysterious masked Samurai warrior from Stoke-on-Trent.

woody2000

93! Good innings that considering he spent most of his life in smoky halls 🙂

“Not the ears” 🙂

RIP

RustySpanner

Nooooooooo.

Regular attendee at Belle Vue King George’s Hall as a kid – taken by my Uncle Ted & Aunty Marge.
    All my pocket money.
    53 bus from Queens Road, opposite Brennans bike shop.
    Chips on the way home.

Stupid coincidence, but genuinely just thinking about those days last night.

God, it was fun.

The Rocco Brothers were my favourite, the best of the bad boys.
    And Tally Ho Kaye, he was a nasty bastard.

Catweasel was fun, and the Breakes brothers were great entertainment.

Saw Kendo Nagasaki as well, you could have heard a pin drop when he walked into the ring.

Boiled pork ribs in front of the telly, btw.
    We were skint and they were cheap.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

ahhhhhh. big daddy, adrian peacock, andy robbins ad the bear.
    glass of milk, fried egg sannie, wrestling, dad pished because he’d spent the afternoon in the pub. happy daze indeed

Yes I used to think it was all real too

whachya mean ‘snot real?

Anyway RIP for and respects to a great entertainer.

marcus7
    Free Member

Err sorry guys i think you are confusing this genuine wrestling (supported by genuine grapple fans) with the american stuff, I know this to be true because my nan said so whilst eating frazzles and drinking tip top. Them were the days….

binners

Junkyard
    Free Member

Darwen Moor
    Binners V Ton

EEEEEAAAAASSSSSSSYYYYYY
    EEEEEAAAAASSSSSSSYYYYYY
    EEEEEAAAAASSSSSSSYYYYYY
    EEEEEAAAAASSSSSSSYYYYYY
    EEEEEAAAAASSSSSSSYYYYYY

binners

😆

RustySpanner

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZlNFLJGVI0[/video]
    C’mon Rocco…… 😀

mt
    Free Member

cor it takes you back.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m glad I’m not the only one who associates certain food with watching the wrestling on a Saturday

Peanut butter and syrup sandwiches! 🙂

xherbivorex
    Free Member

I’m glad I’m not the only one who associates certain food with watching the wrestling on a Saturday afternoon. I watched it with my gran. She always made us a lovely meat and potato pie, to settle down in front of the telly with

cod and chips from the silver grid in chilton moor.
    or fried egg sarnies if my mam was out for the day and dad was making dinner for me, my brother and him.

those were the days…

lasty
    Free Member

Chips n scraps for our motley crew ..

Johnny kwango was alus my favourite – watch out when he starts polishing his forehead .

RIP Mcmannus – another page from my past torn out 😐

voodoo_chile

Welcome grapple fans

totalshell

”Live from Bolton Town hall!!”

tuna sandwiches with lots of vinegar.

wrestling, world about us, jacques cousteau, captain scarlet.. all the education a boy needed in the 60’s

Pigface
    Free Member

ask him ref!

😆

Used to be glued to this as a kid, a bowl of ready salted crisps was the food of choice.

One of the old school wrestlers had a tag line of “Hell in boots from Knightsbridge”

RIP Mick

gonzy
    Free Member

i used to love watching wrestling with my family as a kid…still watch the farcical american stuff now with the little one…
    i used to be a big fan of Big Daddy (who wasn’t?) but always awestruck by the size of Giant Haystacks…
    Kendo Nagasaki was another favourite of mine…

we always made sure we’d go to the live showings whenever they came to our town… 😀

just watched a clip of Haystacks v Big Daddy on youtube….hilarious as all they seemed to do was bounce into each other….the one i watched had a ref who resembled PeeWee Herman and ended up getting flattened by both wrestlers…. 😆

I used to watch the wrestling live at Solihull Town Hall.
    I think, even at that age, I had my suspicions that it wasn’t all for real.
    However, watching some little old lady, who obviously did think it was real, lean in to the ring to bash an 18 stone bloke in trunks with her shoe, was always a highlight. 😀

gonzy
    Free Member

can anyone remember what the wrestler in the cloverleaf clad tights was called ?..he used have a woman dressed in a red indian headdress…
    i remember watching an audience member climb onto the ring while he was stood in the corner and headbutt him before running off!!

gonzy
    Free Member

it wasn’t all for real

whaddaya mean it wasn’t real??

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

went to see live wrestling at the portsmouth guildhall when i was a kid. when the show started it was the all star cast; mick mcmanus, big daddy, giant haystacks et al. it was also announced there was a world championship bout to take place, i think that was mick mcmanus in that. either way me and my mate were about 9 or 10, could’nt believed all this was going down the very night we had chosen to go, believed it all fully, and we had hot dogs and coke, we thought we were the luckiest kids in the world!

racefaceec90

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DSro4l_0cE[/video] r.i.p mick 🙁

EDIT apologies i thought it was giant haystacks that died 😳

gonzy
    Free Member

racefaceec90 – thats the clip i was on about!! 😆

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Sad day, another part of my past dies with him!

Rainy Sat afternoons watching it with my Dad and the ever present smell of paint & turps as Mum had him on DIY duty on Sat afternoons.

Egg and chips for tea.

Happy Days.

I remember Kendo Nagasaki’s eyes changed colour when he was angry and the famous unmasking.

toemul
    Free Member

Fer **** sake only dreadful memories here,have non of you got bigger brothers?being tag teamed by him and his mates on a Saturday afternoon whilst me mam did the Saturday shop.

ononeorange

Kendo Nagasaki!! Takes me back.

Marmite on toast (toasted on the fire). Lovely .

toemul
    Free Member

Nope loved it really.

Edric64
    Free Member

I never understood how the crap that was wrestling made it onto the World of sport

joeegg
    Free Member

My brother used to repair Masambula’s car.
    Big Daddy’s son plays rugby for Huddersfield Giants,Eorl Crabtree.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I remember I used to love watching the wrestling with my Dad on a Saturday afternoon, but I’m sooo disappointed to now hear it wasn’t real 😥

souldrummer
    Free Member

He used to run the Royal in Stoughton, here in Guildford. We played there a few times and although it was a rough pub there was never any trouble; unsurprisingly!!! Someone once tried it on with his daughter; the bloke soon found out that it wasn’t a clever idea!

Junkyard
    Free Member

should have gone for his ears 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Absolutely brilliant, corny as **** but brilliant, we had a foldy up table me Mum used so we could sit down properly in our council house to watch the wrestling & Dad always had cheese & jam sandwiches!
    Was Kent Walton the commentator?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘RIP Mick McManus’ is closed to new replies.