Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Rigid SS for Coed-y-Brenin?
  • luked2
    Free Member

I've never been to Coed-y-Brenin. I'm going there next week. Will I get away with my rigid SS, or should i bow to the inevitable and go all geary and sussy.

I've only tried Afan on the geary sussy bike, but I think I could thrash round most of that on my SS/rigid bike, though I might end up walking a few short stretches.

Thanks

BigDummy
    Free Member

I rode all of CyB on a rigid SS a couple of years back. I stalled on a couple of sharp climbs that I wasn't prepared for, got my hands battered on the descents and probably minced a bit. As you do. I cannot claim to be a riding god and the people on bicycles with suspension were mostly faster than I was. I hope this helps. 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My mate enjoyed it on his geared rigid – I didn't have to wait for him that long 😉

captaindanger

Depends how much you like going over jagged rocks.
    I went last week on my old old zaskar, it was very uncomfortable.

LMT
    Free Member

The first time i went, we came across Stourbridge Cycle Club they were riding on road bikes!! doing "The Beast" very brave! also these guys were very fast, i overtook them on the downs but they flew past me on the fireroad climbs!

I prefer to ride a full bouncer and gears!!

sc-xc

It'll be fine.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Interviewer: What's your prediction for the fight?
    Clubber Lang: My prediction?
    Interviewer: Yes, your prediction.
    [Clubber looks into camera]
    Clubber Lang: Pain!

taxi25
    Free Member

Take the full suss you'll enjoy it more.

Keef
    Free Member

gears???? suspension????

you'll be ok.

loddrik
    Free Member

Cyb much much rockier than afan

chvck
    Free Member

I find CyB leaves my arms and arse (and I lower the saddle right down on descents) feeling a tad beaten after a long ride or two there on my hardtail, would not wanna do it on a rigid!

devs
    Free Member

I'm doing it again tomorrow on my Nomad. I will have my arse handed to me on a plate by my pal who does it on a 29er SS but he does have Rebas on it. It is his preferred tool for CyB.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

been there and done that with my rigid SS, 18 tooth at the time and it was fine, theres a couple of short climbs, one especially that will be a challenge but it isnt as bad as people make out. Perfectly do-able.

solamanda
    Free Member

You'd be either mad or a very slow rider to choose rigid to ride there.

alexonabike

I really enjoy CyB on a SS hardtail with 80mm forks.

singlespeedstu

You'll be fine.

It's only a trail center.

bent_udder
    Free Member

Why not, if you have the time, have a go on the SS at Afan? To my mind, it's simply a case of knowing you can do it; it sounds to me like you've not tried a longer ride on the singlespeed, so don't know if you can or not. Give it a try. And take lots of food. 🙂

By the way, I've comfortably made it 'round CYB on a hardtail with 80mm forks in the past. As Stu says, it *is* a trail centre, rather than The Real World.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes you'll get away with it – it's not going to kill you – but you may well find it damn hard work – CyB is pretty bumpy nowadays with it's inherent style added to eroded trails and when riding that rigid (or even not rigid!), it makes it pretty hard to get any flow. If you reckon that you can cope with sore hands/arms/back/legs then go for it otherwise go geared and full sus.

bent_udder
    Free Member

*edit* double post – sorry

thekingofsweden

You tell him Stu 😀

Did me first ever SS ride there about 7 years ago and have always chosen the SS since then it will be fine

Oh and that lot from Stourbridge there so niche and racy 😯

robob
    Free Member

did the beast a coupla weeks ago on a 100mm geared hardtail and loved it…
    you *could* do it on a rigid SS, the question i'd ask is why would you want to?!

ps this is from a rigid SS'er (when it's more fun!)

tankslapper
    Free Member

I've done it on the Cotic Soul and the full bouncer – doable on a ss but what's the point? Done and enjoyed Llandegla on the SS but then there were no rocks!

So if you like carrying and sore wrists then yeah! Knock yourself out…

nickc

I followed a bloke around the July trail at Afan for a bit a while ago, he was on a SS/rigid and whilst he was fine on the fireroads, he minced for England down all the descents. Which for me kinda missed the point of the whole experience.

I have to say he was about the only time I've really felt anything like proper antipathy for a fellow cyclist, he had your sisters jeans on, funny bars, facial hair, achingly fashionable…Couldn't ride for shit.

Tim
    Free Member

It will be much more fun with travel and gears

depends on how quick you are really – if your fast rigid will slow you down something chronic – its rocky!

singlespeedstu

whilst he was fine on the fireroads, he minced for England down all the descents

There's plenty of people ride like that at trail centers on full sus bikes too…..

mugsys_m8

I've done it, and I'm certainly not a riding god, yes I was slow. Would I do it again? yes. but with brakes that brake…(I had badly set up, worn out hydraulic rim brakes).

Don't get dispirited by the very first 100m. It's not all that bumpy.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I'd take both bikes. You'll get an indication how much you'll enjoy the sfSS after you've ridden the exit of the car park toward the Beast.

HTH

MikeWW
    Free Member

Did the Beast SS rigid the other week and was really good fun-went 32:17 though to make it easier

However did Tarw and MBR last Sunday on a full suss and had more fun overall

Coleman
    Free Member

Rigid SS for Coed-y-Brenin! – Yeah right!

Niche groups are so cool. 😀

luked2
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice! It's now decision time – heading off tomorrow morning…

I think taking both bikes isn't going to happen – I also have to find room in the car for my darling wife and children (and their bikes). And the daftest dog in the world. He *won't* be going on the trails.

Having just had a quick look on youtube, at least The Beast looks eminently doable.

If it's all completely miserable then I'll start by buying the fattest tyre I can find. If that doesn't work I can always hire a bike, or just go to the beach.

If you find yourself stuck behind some annoyingly niche fat old bloke on a bright red On-One Inbred picking his way painfully and slowly down the hill, you'll know I made the wrong choice.

thekingofsweden

Go on your ss then you can tell all the nay sayers what fun you had and how people pointed at you and laughed !(Although they were secretly in awe )
    That they wished thewy could be like you 🙂

enjoy its only i bike ride

the_pilot
    Free Member

Use these 😮

grumm
    Free Member

Will I get away with my rigid SS

I'm sure you can 'get away' with it, but isn't biking supposed to be about having fun?

wiiija
    Free Member

I take my hat off to all you who have ridden there on a rigid SS, I found it bloody hard work on a full suss!

the_pilot
    Free Member

fun/challenge…its a fine line

Nick

doable on a ss but what's the point

does there have to be a point?

but isn't biking supposed to be about having fun?

why wouldn't it be fun? overtaking full bouncers on SS is good sport and mucho fun ime

grumm
    Free Member

overtaking full bouncers on SS is good sport and mucho fun ime

Oh dear.

MrAgreeable

Please provide photo evidence and/or sworn eyewitness statements. 🙄

Coleman
    Free Member

Quite sad really. 🙁

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Many years ago on my uni clubs annual week long trip up to CyB, my spanky new bike with its spanky new ISIS BB decided it would grind the BB to paste in the space of the first day, thus I had to ride my mate's spare SS rigid on-one for the rest of the week. At the time I was decidedly more portly and had never ridden SS before. I got on fine, in fact it was terrific fun. I was battered, but happy and its pretty much what got me into SS in the first place.

So do it, and have fun.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Rigid SS for Coed-y-Brenin?’ is closed to new replies.