Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Riding without a Camelbak?
  • stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

two bottles on frame – bag can carry about 6 cans or 8 bottles of beer a couple of pies and yer fags + plus all the boring stuff like tools,tubes,jackets etc I've even carried eggs over a few farm tracks without breakages – you wouldn't do that with a camlebak would you ? and for camping out etc. you can always add a camelbak to carry some stuff – jobs a good 'un. just need to work out how to carry sleeping bag without nit wobbling and we're sorted for the circumnavigation of the globe

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i rode for a about 45 mins today just shorts and tee shirt no water no nothing but i was on my way to my rents where i could re-fuel xD

_tom_
    Free Member

I'm thinking of doing this soon as the last time I rode without a bag it was so nice – the feeling of straps is awful and tbh it feels like I'm limiting my riding as I find climbing uncomfortable with it on (makes my back ache as well). I made a very similar thread and the response was to have 2x750ml bottles on the frame (if big enough to fit), saddle bag with tools in and keys etc in jersey or short pockets. Decathlon do cheap mtb/baggy jerseys with 2 large pockets which should fit keys, wallet, phone and some food.

Not sure what to do with a pump, are the crank brothers mini power pumps any good?

Only problem is bikes look ugly with bottles on em haha. Function over fashion though!

Edric64
    Free Member

I always thought camelbacks were a gimmick.Having said that I did buy a cheap copy didn't like it and went straight back to bottles.Everything else goes in pockets.What is this i'm an mtber not a roadie thing ?I am a cyclist I ride most types of bike.

ratherbeintobago

Can't be bothered with the faff for short local rides – much easier to put stuff in bottle cage/pockets/saddle pack.

Andy

Keva
    Free Member

For local rides say two hours or less I usually have bottle and pump on the bike and a multi-tool, tyre levers and a few patches in my pockets. What more do you need ?

Keva

rossrobot
    Free Member

+1 for bottle/cage, pump clipped to frame and saddle bag with inners and multi-tool inside – makes such a difference not having a bag on your back. Plus for epic rides the cages combined with Camelbak means you can carry a sh1tload of water.

hels
    Free Member

I can easily fit all that stuff I mentioned in a smallish saddle pack – I don't use DH tubes ! Packed carefully of course but that is likely a girl thing. Much less phaff than packs there is a permanent saddle pack on every one of my bikes.

In no way does it effect the handling of the bike that has to be a joke ! Another reason I stopped using back packs is the horrible swinging about that does effect the handling.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have nothing positive to contribute.

juan
    Free Member

I dislike wearing a Camelbak, and have never had problems with bottles ejecting, currently using a Bontrager Race X Lite carbon cage, Tacx Taos are nice though.

Camel backs are not just for drink you know. Plus some of us need to drink. Considering over 35 C temperatures at the moment, a short 2 hours ride will requires at least 2 L of water, that's 4 bottles. Plus 2 spare tubes, a multitool a quick link and tyre levers and a pump.

Now I usually ride xc fro several hours in remote places (check this for example) where refuelling water is not an option (or at least an easy one) so 3L of water is a bare minimum (drinking twice that is not uncommon). I quite cant see how bottles come in handy.

But then maybe I do things wrong. Maybe I must just only ride my bike in a trailcenter or around a muddy field 😉

landy813
    Free Member

Just get one of these no sweaty back well not much of one, will carry all your stuff and also sort out the camelbak fetish……or is it just me with one?

Sandwich

No choice for me as there is no room for a bottle on my Sub 5. Camelback for off road as a result. 2x 1 litre bottles for long road rides and refill on route. The butchers at Melton in Suffolk is good for a refill round here and does a top notch sausage roll!

MartinGT
    Free Member

Old Skool CTC biking there stAnley 😉

LoveTubs
    Free Member

🙂

..guess what my friend picked up from the trail today at approximately 11:40am?

…a bright yellow water bottle.

QED.

Go to decathlon, purchace their 'almost too perfectly sized' pack and bladder for £14 and forget taping tubes and bending cages and, above all, having to wear a roadie jersey on the trail (so last season darlings)….OH, and HTFU! 🙂

PS: What amount of spares are you all packing away anyway?? Couple of tubes, some patches and some money…gels – for local rides anyway.

🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Just get one of these no sweaty back well not much of one, will carry all your stuff and also sort out the camelbak fetish……or is it just me with one?

Thats a really expensive bum bag that holds no more fluid than two bottles! I find bags like that uncomfortable and they end up sliding down round your ass

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Riding without a Camelbak?’ is closed to new replies.