Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Riding @ Thetford
  • BigSteve
    Free Member

Looks like I'm being dragged to Norfolk/Suffolk for the weekend. Whilst she goes bird watching I want something a bit more interesting to do. Is there waymarked routes round Thetford. Any other areas I should look at?

tails
    Free Member

**** that go minsmere see if ya can spot a bittern, yeah i believe they are marked black, red etc but they are not black red as you may know.

mickasaki
    Free Member

Hi, plenty of waymarked singletrack available from high lodge visitors centre on the Brandon road. loads of extra trails too. you wont be needing a big bouncer though! Not the most challenging but fun if ridden fast!

BigSteve
    Free Member

Only taking the Soul. Realise that there aren't going to be big down hills. I'll have a look at the trails – thanks.

Looking to camp somewhere near Minsere I believe, but I'm happy to drive back to Thetford. Better then being bored out of my scull peering through binoculars all day being quiet!!!

cotic853
    Free Member

I think there is some decent rides in Rendelsham Forest though I havn't been there myself. Thats much closer to Minsmere than Thetford

odannyboy
    Free Member

warning tho steve,thetford is very sandy and when its wet (shurly it wont be wet this weekend-its summertime!) theres a ton of puddles.water and sand eqauls a wonderful grinding paste all thru your drivetrain-enjoy!
    the blue (easy-family) run crosses the main road to the west.on the west side of the road is lots of unmapped stuff that is often used for racing if you fancy a look/explore.

odannyboy
    Free Member

warning tho steve,thetford is very sandy and when its wet (shurly it wont be wet this weekend-its summertime!) theres a ton of puddles.water and sand eqauls a wonderful grinding paste all thru your drivetrain-enjoy!
    the blue (easy-family) run crosses the main road to the west.on the west side of the road is lots of unmapped stuff that is often used for racing if you fancy a look/explore.

stumpy01

Better to go to Brandon Country Park as you don't get fleeced for parking like you do at High Lodge.
    The red has been IMO ruined by trying to 'improve' it's all weather-ness. The black is OK though.
    You can pick both of these up by parking at Brandon, going back out the road you came in and crossing directly over the road straight onto the trails. folllow the trail, turn right when it hits the fire road after a few 100m & then go straight on (it looks really overgrown). Take a right fork and follow the singletrack. This takes you all the way to the bottom of 'The Beast'.
    You can pick the black signs up here or ride straight up the fire road all the way to high lodge & start it from there (probably the best option.)

Alternatively stay on the Brandon side, go right out of the car park past the care home & follow it round through the trees. There's a double track bit down a slope and a bit of singletrack off to the right down there. Follow that and generally just hunt for trails. There's plenty around & there's normally riders who will show you the way.

cotic853
    Free Member
    G
    Free Member

BS : If you're at Minsmere see here http://forum.trogmtb.com/ on the rides section and meet up with The Trog lot for a Sunday bimble at Tunstall Forest, its way closer, the trails are better and there are less people to get in your way. They are not waymarked, so if you don't want to waste a lot of time trying to find stuff, do meet up with the locals.

Tell em I sent you.

G

BigSteve
    Free Member

I'm hoping to do Thetford on the Saturday then I was looking to do something else on the Sunday. Rendlesham/Tunstall sounds interesting for the Sunday. I'll got onto the Trogs tonight and see if they have a ride going on Sunday that I could tag onto.

And I ride at Cannock so I know what the grinding paste can do 🙁

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Riding @ Thetford’ is closed to new replies.