Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • riding glasses
  • Easy now!

I want to buy some riding glasses, I fancy some decent ones as the cheap ones steam up and I feel like they distort my vision slightly? They also usually have gaps underneath and I still get crap in my eyes!!!

Can anyone recommend me any? Or had any good experiences? Dont mind spending a fair bit (50 60 quid ish?) if they are worth it as I want to keep them?

Thanks

Nick

_tom_
    Free Member

I was recommended Bolle safety glasses. Really cheap so may be worth a go?

Northwind

I’d recommend my Bolle BL10s over any more expensive glasses I’ve used. Only downside is they scratch easily, wouldn’t be acceptable in a £50 pair but they cost £2.99 so. As for steaming up, most glasses will do that but there are coatings you can use, £7 gets you a bottle of Nikwax Visorshield which is just as effective as manufacturers’s anti-fog and lasts for ages (one bottle will last you for life)

ok cheers, just looked on crc and there are some on there that look quite good for about 15 quid which is pretty cheap? They come with three lenses but if anyone else has any recommendations let me know!

Ta

Del

if you want clear, bolle as suggested, otherwise the spesh adaptive ones are excellent. they react quickly and clear quickly too, if you’re moving. if they do steam up when stationary you just pull them out a bit, then 10m down the trail push ’em back up your nose again.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bolle safety glasses – actualy better lenses than expensive sports glasses such as oakly – rain x or preferably bob heath visor spray to stop them misting

rclvp
    Free Member

Hey Nick,

the advice on bolle glasses is pretty god, the glasses work brilliantly for the money and do a fantastic job. What you mention about double vision/blurriness/distortion in cheaper glasses is really true. It comes down to the layers of the glass and how they bounce the light within the lens.

Specialized are actually the worst for this, so would advise away from them if possible. Sorry Del. The adaptive lens reacts brilliant, but the actual visuals make you feel a little drunk!

There are reasons that companies like Nike stopped making glasses, it’s because it’s a hard market to crack that requires a lot of investment. I mean, look at oakley, they almost own the market and nobody can come near to them in terms of quality.
    I hate the company and their dominance on the market, but everything from their XYZ (retina profile corrected lenses (100% accurate vision)) to the fact that the lenses are not layered, they are a selection of plastics and films that are subjected t extreme heat, until they liquify and combine one uninterrupted lens is amazing.
    As a comparison, Specialized adaptive lenses can have up to 7 layers of plastics, films and glue between your eyes and what you see, so imagine the distortion.

If you can find the money then oakley’s will allow you to get out on the trail and will also you will save yourself a lot of anguish and time than buying and replacing cheaper glasses.

But, for £50 I would go for the Bolle glasses.

Thanks

bigbob38
    Free Member

Every time they have some in lidl for £2.99 I get several…
    They steam up no more than my oakleys and when I lose them I don’t cry!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have some Oakleys & back in the day nothing could touch them, these days I don’t think that is so true. I still use them but mostly wear some specialized adaptive glasses & find them brilliant. I don’t notice any distortion etc.

I also have some Bolles to protect my eyes when using power tools etc & if you only need clear lenses then you really don’t need to spend more, they are great.

Best thing to do is to try on some you fancy to see if they fit your face & as stupid as it may sound wear your helmet to make sure the arms don’t clash with whatever retention dials etc your helmet has. It can be annoying.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’m only allowed plastic ones.

cheers everyone,

Thats exactly what happens to my glasses when i use cheapo ones from tchibo or whatever. I have really good vision and I proper notice when I am wearing them; after a while it really bugs me.

I have some Oakleys as ‘proper’ sunnies and they are fantastic. Im not much of a fashion victim but those are an item I will gladly pay over the odds as they are so comfy and work so well but I cant really justify an extra set just to ride in and the set I have are more for mincing around down on the beach rather than riding!

I was looking at these on Chain reaction as they look like they might be ok

specs

or these

specs 2

if your interested have a look and give me your opinion?

I will let everyone know what I end up getting

kevevs have you been stalking me on facebook?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bolle.

CE marked for impact and UV

No edge distortion

Cheap why pay more

neillys75
    Free Member

Try screwfix for bolle glasses

jools182
    Free Member

this guy on ebay has some really cheap ones

clicky

not tried any models he has in stock though

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘riding glasses’ is closed to new replies.