• This topic has 26 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • ride life :)
  • jedi

Play is the Medicine Man
    You’re not designed for office life.You’re not designed to just sit there, You’re a hunter gatherer, dammit! That urge to go out there goes back a long way. You need to feel the four winds.To tell stories around a shared camp fire. To see the stars that will be famous for more than 15 minutes. To leave the hubbub, humdrum and hoo-ha behind. To listen to the stream trickle on it’s way. To go to places 4×4’s only go in commercials. To put some distance between you and your work. To forget everything for a while. To make some molehills out of mountains. Play is best when not done to a deadline. Play is a multivitamin. Play is de-tox. Play is head yoga. Play is the natural enemy of stress. Play is good. Play is great. Play is brilliant. Play is splashing in puddles, climbing mountains and riding across them. Play is pointless juvenile and fun And frankly, all the better for it. Work is complicated. Play is simple.

now go ride!

pastcaring
    Free Member

couldn’t agree more!

duntstick
    Free Member

;o)

keyses2

😀 😀

Coyote
    Free Member

Testify!

Woody
    Free Member

Jedi

I think you should copy and paste that to This Thread 😉

terrahawk
    Free Member

have you swallowed a Howies catalogue?

jedi

never read howies.
    i saw it online on another forum. 🙂

there a poem i love that i put on my coaching site. come to the edge

Fozlett

Used to have that stuck on my office wall – would read it and remind myself of what makes me truly happy!! 🙂

juiced
    Free Member

like that!

ton

play makes you feel good even when you are poorly.

metalheart
    Free Member

Tony, you’re hogging the spliff man. Pass it this way please

😀

DenDennis
    Free Member

repped 🙂

Lionheart
    Free Member

‘7’ Mountain Bike Lessons in Life
    “mountain biking is addictive because it forces you to forget the worries that occupy your mind”

1 You ride where your eyes go
    If you focus on the roots and rocks then you will end up there – if you focus on the path between the roots and rocks you get through. In life, if you focus on your goals you’ll get there, if you focus on the barriers they will seem impossible to get past.

2 Momentum is your friend
    Use your speed to get over logs, and don’t apply the brakes each time there is a challenge on the trail. In life, when things are tough keep moving, meeting people, trying new approaches and learning new skills – don’t put the brakes on and sit dumb like a rabbit in the headlights.

3 Learn to trackstand
    Sometimes it’s useful to take a short pause on the track to weigh up the alternate lines ahead through a rock garden. In life, take a look around and get some perspective instead of blowing off at you boss or friends. Maybe you can make a different angle on the drop-off, or in life, tackle a problem differently.

4 Build your toolkit of skills
    ….so you can pull out a tool for each trail challenge – bunny-hops, endos, and drop-offs. In life – continue to build your tool kit so that you can fix your own problems. Any skills, from DIY, languages, active listening, negotiation, meditation to selfdefence.

5 Absorb the bumps
    Regardless of your bike’s set up, your body is the best suspension if you stay loose and absorb the compressions and obstacles on the trail. In life – learn not to react to every criticism or challenge. Be flexible, creative and bounce back.

6 Be here now
    Let go of the brakes get up some speed and concentrate. Focus on the corner you are taking at that very moment. If you focus on the corner way up ahead, you’ll crash. Mountain biking is addictive because it forces you to concentrate and forget the worries that occupy your mind. In life – live in the now!

7 Shit happens
    It’s not going to be a great ride if you don’t take risks and challenge yourself and accept the occasional fall. Be prepared for them and see them as part of the experience. Don’t be frightened of sliding or falling off, practise them! In life – learn to be resilient and cope with the setbacks.

igm

Work has it’s uses. I’ll name two.

1. It pays for shiny bike bits, negating the need to steal from the LBS (Chain Reaction is too far away to steal from).

2. It provides a good place to meet up for a ride – most of my riding is currently done with guys from work, heading out straight after work.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Play is best when not done to a deadline.

Amen to that!

Kevevs
    Free Member

I agree, and I like the sentiment. but that is some american corporate bullcrap!
    my version is, at the mo:

1:pay the bills
    2:have fun

delusional
    Free Member

You’re not designed

I agree with this bit.

karloff70
    Free Member

My desire to plan in a skills sess with the Jedi just grew a bit…..

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Spot on Jedi and as Lionheart no 7: Shit happens… been riding years since way back when and I still LOVE doing it. Had a lack of awareness moment at Dalbeatie 2 weeks back and fubard myself big time (first proper injury needing A & E).

As soon as I am mended I will be back out “playing like a kid” YAHOO.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Right enough jedi your job must be right stressful! 😉

jedi

Not this job 🙂

mansonsoul
    Free Member

The notion of “nowness” is quite important I think. The sense that my mind is full of presence when I’m riding is very important to me, it’s a time for unconciously releasing tension and worries and breathing deeply.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Work sucks you dry, play re-energises!

robdob
    Free Member

My desire to plan in a skills sess with the Jedi just grew a bit….

Not on 22nd January you’re not. Me and Peterpoddy are off to the Land Of Jedi to become pupils again.. 😀
    Hope its worth the 8-9 hours of driving in 2 days!! 😉

jj55

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys6i30o56xk[/video]

We are ‘Battery Humans’ unfortunately 🙁

jedi

I’m looking to working with you both robdob!! 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘ride life :)’ is closed to new replies.