Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Removing tyre – hacksaw only option left
  • Archaic
    Free Member

Trying to remove a steel wire conti vert from a dt 5.1 is officially the hardest sport in the enitre world ever.

Seal broken on both sides – Check
    Heavy duty tyre levers – check
    Starting opposite valve – check

I think I need some spinach to give me the force I need. Has anyone got a combo they reckon is tougher?

RealMan
    Free Member

Hairdryer.

Heat the tyre up, rubber expands, easier to get wheel off. (or something like that)

Archaic
    Free Member

Just found the BM article someone posted previously so off to try that.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

It went on, it’ll come off again. You need to extract some more slack from the bead somewhere. If it really won’t scrunch round any more, pull the rim tape out and scrunch it round again.

XC_PK
    Free Member

Start with the valve and ‘work’ the slack to the 6 o clock position. This should (key word 😉 ) give you enough tyre to flip it over the rim. This works on all of my tyres.

Harder combination- DRC ST17 with pretty much any tyre. I sold the wheels in the end…

Edit; Way to slow on this one!! 😉

Archaic
    Free Member

Hell yeah it’s off!!!!!!

timber

crossmax xl and michelin combination
    claimed 3 park levers to get them on, there was no going back once the first bead was on, now run silly high pressures with limited grip for fear of a puncture

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Michy Comp 16 vs Mavic D321.

I broke every tyre lever I owned, several pieces or assorted cutlery and nearly gave myself a hernia.

Archaic
    Free Member

The tyre can will be listed on classifieds soon as a freebie for anyone in sheffield. There is no way in hell I will ever get it back on with the tube remaining in one piece.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

whe im getting roadie ones off that im not keeping, just snip the bead with wire cutters.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Removing tyre – hacksaw only option left’ is closed to new replies.