Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)
  • Relationshiptrackworld….saying no to children = saying goodbye to my OH
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I can’t offer you an answer but, I have a 3 1/2 year old and 9 month old. I’m 30.

I guess I always knew I’d want children but couldn’t have ever given it a time frame.

This morning, after 3 hours sleep (#2 has had an ear infection and raging temperature for 3 days), #1 ‘missed’ the toilet and I was mopping up piss from the floor as it soaked up my pyjama legs. My whole house smells of puke.

I wouldn’t change my life for anything.

Why not put the ball in her court? It doesn’t sound like she’s given you an ultimatum. Just be honest.

FWIW, my wife and sons and I live in S.E. Asia. One was born in The Philippines, one in Thailand. We’ve been to many amazing places. This Christmas we’re taking them to Myanmar for a couple of weeks. Cambodia (again) next Easter. We went on a 1,500km road trip this Easter. Children mean changes, not the end of fun.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Me and Mrs S were planning on having kids. Then we saw what happened to all our friends who’d become parents. It put us both off completely.

And for those who say we are only here to reproduce – Pah! What rot.

We’re here to do what make we want. The limits of that are defined by the law and one’s ethics.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i let the love of my life go for the very reason the OP talks about, she didnt want kids ‘right now’ but she wanted to in the future and was aware of the ticking clock (we were both 30ish at the time) i would have done anything for her and that included sacrificing my own happiness for hers.

i told her that adoption was an option but its different for women, there is that biological hunger

didnt see her for a few years but we are good friends again now. she now doesnt want kids any more but the breakup was very hard on both of us so the magic we had is too badly tainted for us to get back together.

i would say that unless you have given serious consideration to having a vasectomy then you know that you at least possibly want kids. tell her that, tell her its a maybe. who knows what the future holds, maybe you will begin to really want kids in a few years, maybe she will change her mind, maybe you two wont be able to have kids. maybe you will look back at this thread with a nipper on your knee and laugh at how little you knew 10 yrs ago. (im constantly amazed at how i was 10 yrs ago, i will be agian 10 yrs from now)

if she is yearning for children with you then you are making her feel happy and safe and comfortable. if you are deliberating so much over the issue then you will make a good father as you obviously care. not everyone does.

walla24
    Free Member

makecoldplayhistory- can i ask what you do for a living?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

My wife’s a primary teacher and I’m an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher.

I’m studying to become a primary teacher. We’re by no means wealthy, but do pretty well ex-pat teacher packages. Investing / saving as well as holidays and living well.

mick_r

Kids don’t need to end your travelling.

I never went abroad as a child. But I just counted on my fingers, and our kids have now been to at least 12 countries outside the UK (which has been a very positive thing for their knowledge, outlook and experience – just the same reasons you are probably travelling for now).

At 25 we were both busy with work, travel and my wife racing mtb XC up to international level – kids were not on the agenda at that time. You will both change in some way – you just don’t know what way yet 🙂

walla24
    Free Member

If you are going to regret anything, it’s putting a downer on what should be one of the best periods of your life.

Very true, i’m trying to hold onto this thought.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Theres only one path for you: http://foreignlegion.info/joining/

Get in whilst your still young and fit. think of the boozing stories you will be able to tell 😀

GolfChick
    Free Member

I havent read all three pages but wanted to pass on my opinion and experiences. I’ve recently separated from a six year relationship with due to being married for a few reason but one large part of it was the fact I dont want children and my ex very much does. By the sound of your post you’re really not too bothered either way whether you do or dont have them but you’re not completely opposed. You need to consider whether you’re prepared to compromise or whether you’re really just not bothered either way. Thats a lot of time away as well so a lot can change between now and then, you will of lived more of your life and experienced all the things you want to and besides life isnt over when you have kids, it just has to change its priorities. For me after six years although I was always prepared to compromise and do anything for him eventually I changed enough that I have never been more certain of anything and I had to walk away so much for him as for me.

growinglad
    Free Member

25 and you are having concerns of kids…grab a beer and experience life….. that stuff just happens.

40.. going on 30 something with 3 kids and a PhD from the university of life

epicyclo

andyfla – Member
    Kids are ace, screw your life up, but its great fun

+1

You don’t have to stop doing the things you do because of kids.

Just adapt the way you do them. It’s good for kids to go on their parents adventures.

I don’t know anyone who would dump their kids and go back to their previous life.

hora
    Free Member

I still remember the day I found out vividly. I sat on the floor for about an hour. stunned. I couldn’t process the information. I also felt scared. Fast forward 5years I feel like I’ve got the daftest brush, a mini-me, someone who (in a staunchly Christian school where they are taken to the connecting church regularly) often say ‘oh God!’ if something isn’t working/or broken something. He wont stop saying it- we’ve tried.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think it’s great that the OP and his partner are having this discussion. Loads of couples I know who got together in their 20s moseyed along not really facing up to the fact that they ultimately wanted different things from life.

Mid-20s is too young to definitively rule out kids, but it’s also (with respect) too young to designate a “love of your life”.

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Not got time to read the thread now but

I am not wealthy so would have to work mad hours to support children

It doesn’t need to cost much. Unless you need to pay full whack for childcare…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed reading through 3 pages of stuff when the simple answer is having kids is the best thing ever.

jwt
    Free Member

Not sure if this helps or not, but some friends are currently back packing in Malaysia with a three year old. The pictures would suggest they are all having lots of fun together.

lunge

Can’t be arsed reading through 3 pages of stuff when the simple answer is having kids is the best thing ever.

For you they are. For many others they aren’t. The problem is when you ask a parent “do you regret having kids?” virtually none will say “yes I do” even if they do regret it.

Me? I spent 3 hours with my 2 year old niece yesterday, that was enough to further cement that neither me or my wife want our own thank you.

NYC101009

Didn’t have my 1st till child until I was 35 ,plus I was in no position for children at the age of 25 too busy going clubbing every weekend..

I now have two and its fantastic but bloody hard work – my eldest (4.5years) is now coming out on his mountain bike and its great we went over to Gisburn on the weekend…

DezB
    Free Member

Went through the same thing! Long ago in a faraway universe now, but I never wanted kids. At around 30 the (now-ex) wife decided she did (or something within her decided it did).
    So we split up.
    Then she came back.
    We had a child a few years later and he’s amazing. Never thought love like that for someone could be possible.
    Then we spilt again and breaking up that child’s family is the most heartbreaking thing ever.
    So. You decide. It’s your life. No-one else can really advise you in such matters.

tyrionl1
    Free Member

At 25 you’re still a child, you’re even demonstrating by your selfishness that fact, ten more years and you might be in a position to think about it, as for your partner she needs to ditch you and find someone who really cares about her feelings, someone ten years older than her, short and has a way with little people. 😉

AdamW
    Free Member

That a bit rough tyrionl1. By carefully considering if he wants a child or not he is being ‘selfish’? So from that we should all breed as fast as we can as soon as we are able? 😕 Sometimes having children in itself is selfish.

OP, up to you. I think you’re being really mature in actually discussing the issue. Best of luck with what you choose.

joolsburger
    Free Member

In my 20’s I really didn’t want kids mostly due to the financial and freedom side of things. I now have two boys of 14 and 10 and frankly I was right they are mostly a pain in the arse, bleed me dry, are a constant source of worry and concern, oh and the fighting – My goodness the fighting….
    Also my wife is now their mother not my partner which I also didn’t sign up for.
    However I find that when they aren’t there or I am away all I want to do is get back to them so there’s that I suppose.

mos

I think having a blood relative that actually gives a f*ck about you when you are in your 70’s & 80’s could be a nice thing.

DezB
    Free Member

That a bit rough tyrionl1

I get the feeling he was joking…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Kids don’t need to end your travelling.

Very true…. but heres a little secret.

A trip to the local park with your nippers is just as much fun as deepest darkest South America.

Happiness doesn’t have to be 5000 miles away… the wonders of the world are easily replaced if not superseded by the wonders of your child doing something for the first time.

A little example from yesterday … My lad starting riding his bike without stablizers the other week, yday he got going on his own without any help…. A day l’ll always remember and it happen in a very unmarkable country park next to the M25…. Heaven.

Good luck … don’t sweat it…. You’ll find your way

tyrionl1
    Free Member

AdamW – Member
    That a bit rough tyrionl1. By carefully considering if he wants a child or not he is being ‘selfish’? So from that we should all breed as fast as we can as soon as we are able? Sometimes having children in itself is selfish.

If she wants kids then I’m leaving her? So is that not selfish – seriously? They’re 25, kids shouldn’t have kids.

DezB – Member
    That a bit rough tyrionl1

I get the feeling he was joking…

Well there was a winky icon which kind of suggests an element of irony, but the message contained shouldn’t be lost after all she is way to old for him mentally.. She is only looking for a commitment after all sounds to me reading between the lines that he’s already got the skids under him.

nemesis
    Free Member

Well I had assumed it was all jokey but since you’re suggesting that’s not the case, I’ll just point out the IME age and selfishness are not linked. Plenty of people either don’t ‘grow’ out of it and IME plenty grow into it.

tyrionl1
    Free Member

Truer words never spoken.

molgrips
    Free Member

I spent 3 hours with my 2 year old niece yesterday, that was enough to further cement that neither me or my wife want our own thank you.

Three hours with my neice and nephew would put anyone off 😉

MrsToast
    Free Member

When I was a little girl, I always thought I’d grow up and get married, have two children. But I had a difficult relationship with my mother – she had mental health issues and is a functioning alcoholic, and when I was 9-18 would regularly tell me how although she loved me and my brother, if she had her time over, she wouldn’t have had kids, that kids ruined her life, lost her friends, ruined any chance of a career, ruined her body, etc. It was my dad who wanted kids apparently (he was ace).

I’ve always been terrified that I’d end up like her (hence being teetotal until I was 33, still only drink very rarely now), and I never wanted to have a child that I resented. I love children, but I’m scared that I’d end up resenting them if they ruined my career (not helped by the fact that at the studio I worked at for 8 years, every woman who got pregnant was either demoted or made redundant!).

MadPierre

At 25 I definitely didn’t want kids. I’m 48 now and still don’t. No regrets. I have been with my partner/wife 20 years now and she didn’t want them either – however there was never any “if you do I don’t” type of ultimatum discussed from either side back when it was still an option. I think we both just made sure we had similar opinions in the important areas before any serious commitment?

You should chill and keep enjoying yourselves until something different seems to be a good idea – or if it doesn’t then carry on.

As an aside – ignore all the comments about “kids being the best thing ever” – what the hell else is any parent ever going to say?

And anyone who has had kids “to look after you when you’re old” has had them for the wrong reason and will probably be very disappointed with their offspring when the time comes!

weeksy

As an aside – ignore all the comments about “kids being the best thing ever” – what the hell else is any parent ever going to say?

Honestly, we don’t just say it in case our wives have been reading our posts..

I’ve stayed out of this up to now… but from my perspective, I’ve never ever wanted kids… it’s not a desire that’s come out to me saying “I must have one…”

However… I didn’t NOT want one either… it just never entered my mind either way.

Now I have one… it’s mind blowing 🙂

Each day my lad makes me happy… in many different ways each day…

Even when he’s being frustrating.

He’s 7 in a few weeks and honestly is my best mate 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I spent 3 hours with my 2 year old niece yesterday, that was enough to further cement that neither me or my wife want our own thank you.

I wonder if some people make the decision after watching “We Need to Talk About Kevin”…

lunge

I wonder if some people make the decision after watching “We Need to Talk About Kevin”

Not sure about that but I am assured by my wife that One Born Every Minute is one of the finest forms of contraception known to anyone, 15 minutes watching that and she has no interest in letting me anywhere near here for fear of ending up “pushing one of those out of that”.

brassneck

Weeksy +1

Have 3 boys now, would have had more but for pure practicalities.

But for the OP I think 25 is maybe a bit young to make ultimatums one way or other. I’ve been with my wife since 19 (she was 17), we didn’t marry till she was 30, and the first was born a year later. In between we were tied up with careers and buying houses and playing on bicycles. I don’t regret waiting as I think I was better equipped to deal with the change once I felt we were ‘stable’ in practical terms (the relationship was never an issue).

That said, if you are 100% sure you never want that, then you’ve got a lot of talking and a tough (but brave and possibly for the best all round) choice to make. Good luck.

johndoh
    Free Member

Nothing. Children *ARE* the best thing ever.

But I, like many others on here, didn’t enter fatherhood until my 40s because I never felt ready before.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I went over to the Philippines a few years back with my university girlfriend and now wife.

All her younger cousins and their friends fit the Asian stereotype, well behaved and shy. British two year olds though, always seem to be total nightmares. I’m hoping it’s genetic or something…. 😀

Sui
    Free Member

some more balance

I have 2 kids -the eldest, she;s not so bad though at 5 has turned into a teenager already. The youngest he’s a whole new level of how to push it… it has it’s good times, but they are outweighed by the bad at the moment – i’m told it gets better. I was for the most part a very chilled person – i’m not anymore.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Walla24
    I split from my ex for this reason. I didn’t want kids, she did. I think she thought I’d change my mind. I certainly don’t regret it. Now 12yrs on I’m very happily married to someone who feels the same way as me regarding children.

danposs86

Ok, here is my go.

I am 29 now, got married last month and bought a house in Feb.

Around the same age as you I think I was living in Australia with my girlfriend (now my wife). Before I went out there, I was still living with my mum, had a job that paid enough for me to enjoy myself and had no cares really. I wasn’t really thinking of kids, pretty much the same reason as you. They would take all my money and free time.

Since then we have done plenty of travelling (mainly around Asia with bits of Europe). We rented a house before buying ours.

As time has gone on, things change. I am now looking forward to having kids and plan on starting my family after our honeymoon (safari trip in Africa).

Saying they take all your money on whatever you are currently earning might be correct, but a few years down the line you might be working somewhere else on a different wage and feel far more comfortable.

The biggest change I have felt is that I feel more grown up, I looked for a better job (not because of anything, just wanted a difference career) and enjoy facing new challenges.

The thing I am most looking forward to is getting my kid(s) into the things I love, mainly biking. I am hoping as they grow up they keep pushing me to ride more rather than feeling like I have less time to get out on my bike.

End of the day though, only you can make the decision about your life. If you are set in your mind that kids are not for you, fine. As others have said, talk to your GF and tell her, let her decide what the next move is.

However, if there is a doubt about not wanting kids in the future, I say hold onto that. Hopefully your mindset will change as you age.

Either way, you can have a couple of years together before all of this becomes more of an issue. Enjoy yourselves now, see how things go down the line.

(Sorry for that being a bit rambled)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Relationshiptrackworld….saying no to children = saying goodbye to my OH’ is closed to new replies.